Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Figuring out proper location and how to secure handgun safe.

I finally got Liberty Safes to send me a security cable that was supposed to come with my handgun safe. Right at the moment I have the safe under the bed. The cable is not yet attached to anything. It just has a loop at one end. The only idea I can come up with is to attach it to the bedframe using a combination lock of some kind. I had had it in the nightstand but, I think it'll actually be more accessible right where slippers usually are, underneath the side of the bed where I sleep.

I suppose I was just curious if anybody else has used this approach (just attaching your safe to a bedframe using a lock of some kind). I don't really want to anchor it to the floor, there's no convenient place to do that.

Default Re: Figuring out proper location and how to secure handgun safe.

How heavy is the bed? Would it be difficult for a thief rip out of a bed post? You could always go into a wall stud too.

What kind of flooring is in the bedroom? If carpet, I'd secure to a floor joist. If hardwood, that's your call whether you want to make that hole in the floor. If tile, forget about it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    You could always go into a wall stud too...

What kind of flooring is in the bedroom? If carpet, I'd secure to a floor joist...
    ^^this^^

Cables are relatively easy to cut. And most bed frames are pretty easy to take apart (if I saw a lockbox or safe just cabled to one, I'd risk the extra 60 seconds). Something bolted down is gonna take a much more determined criminal.

I prefer corners if possible, as I can bolt to two sides, insuring a bit more security, as well as making it harder to pry for someone more determined.

I've known people who's small safes have simply been picked up and carried away in a burglary, because they weren't well secured. Don't be that guy.

(Montgomery County)

Are you protecting against unauthorized users (i.e. children) or trying to prevent theft? I think the levels of precaution you take are different for the situations.

If it's just against kids, I think the bed frame is ok for reasonable security and quick access. If you have a safe full of expensive guns, you'll want to definitely secure it to the floor properly.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by jaseman View Post
    ^^this^^

Cables are relatively easy to cut. And most bed frames are pretty easy to take apart (if I saw a lockbox or safe just cabled to one, I'd risk the extra 60 seconds). Something bolted down is gonna take a much more determined criminal.

I prefer corners if possible, as I can bolt to two sides, insuring a bit more security, as well as making it harder to pry for someone more determined.

I've known people who's small safes have simply been picked up and carried away in a burglary, because they weren't well secured. Don't be that guy.
    Agreed.
    Guys that do break-ins look for the easily removed gun boxes, then open them later.
    I like placing handgun safes inside a cabinet or nightstand beside the bed, then I run bolts through the bottom of the cabinet into the floor.
    Bolting into floor and wall together is better, and corner placement is best.
    If the cabinet is particle board, then line the inside with 3/4 plywood or 1x12.
    If you don't have small kids, you can sleep with the cabinet and safe door open if your worried about quick access.
    Also IMHO handgun safes with simplex locks are best for 0 failure and sub-second access with practice.
    Fort Knox makes excellent handgun safes.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?