Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lehigh County)

Default Shipping a "firearm" to a co-trustee

So here's the situation in a nutshell. I and a friend are both co-trustees of an NFA trust. He's in OH, I'm in PA. He currently possesses the suppressor that belongs to the trust. I'd like to use it, so I began looking at how he could possible ship it to me. As usual with this NFA bull, it's never that easy.

All the common carriers like USPS, UPS, and FedEx have policies in place in which "firearms" (which a suppressor is legally for some reason) can only be shipped between "licensed" individuals. Despite the fact that technically, since the suppressor belongs to the Trust, it would be like my friend was shipping it to himself. Which is legal, as per the ATF's own assertion here:

"6. May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?
    Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner “in the care of” the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm."

So...in other words, the ATF says something is legal, and yet there does not exist a mail service to actually do this legal thing. Brilliant.

Am I missing something, or am I screwed and will have to drive 10 hours if I want to pick up the suppressor for my own use?

Default Re: Shipping a "firearm" to a co-trustee

I know you need to fill out a form when transporting it to a nfa friendly state,
    but not sure you can just ship it. You MAY have to have a dealer take possession of it and ship it to
    another dealer, then you can pick it up.

Such bullshit this crap is.

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I know you need to fill out a form when transporting it to a nfa friendly state,
    but not sure you can just ship it. You MAY have to have a dealer take possession of it and ship it to
    another dealer, then you can pick it up.

Such bullshit this crap is.
    The form is not required for cans. The transportation form to notify the atf applies to sbr's, sbs's, etc...

As it seems cans are no longer accepted by non dealers from USPS. FedEx and UPS while having policies to not allow non licensee holders to ship them you could technically do it. However if you have insured your package and it gets lost you're SOL. Seems one possiblilty is if you got a C&R FFL because then technically you'd be a licensee. It's a risk but you'd have a document to show UPS or fedex if they tried to fight an isurance claim. In your case your friend would need to have an FFL too.

Similar topic on arfcom. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_50/43...f_.html&page=2

(Delaware County)

Why don't you "gun people" just follow the law?

I mean, how hard can it be?