Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Armslist sale (scam?) question: how would you handle it?

Well, for all the buying & selling I do, this is a new one. Had some stuff listed for sale on Armlist which - since it's ripe with scammers - I pretty much only only use to sell to locals. Made quite a few sales on it around town and all have been fine.

This time I was contacted by a guy who said he's interested in buying my gun, wants to know more, etc. I tell him everything about it and he says he wants it but he's in Florida. He seems less interested in seeing detailed pictures of the gun/accessories and more interested in how fast we can do the deal which was odd. But he claims it's because his receiving FFL will inspect it for him and wants to pay to have my FFL ship it. I give him a price and agree to have my FFL ship after payment has cleared.

I tell him I'd prefer a USPS money order or something else I can turn into cash before shipping. First he says he'd like to send a certified check and have me ship after it clears my bank (which he reminds me should only take a day or two). Now he's saying (in his typical odd sentence structure) that in order to expedite the process, he wants to "start working on getting the payment to you and i will as well be responsible for the shipping fees which would be included on the check as well and also there might be extra funds on the check as to avoid delay i will have my pay check mailed directly to you instead of me to avoid delay in the payment, so upon the clearance you will deduct the agreed price + shipping and extra $75 for securing the gun for me while i will make proper arrangement on how you will get the excess funds on the payment to me".

WTF? Have his pay check mailed directly to me? Have me return excess funds? Sounds like a play straight out of a Nigerian Prince's book, right? So I'm pretty sure this is a scam and I assume some type of fraudulent "payment" will arrive. But since I will still have the gun I can hold it and the payment for as long as it takes to verify that it's legit. Most likely he'll start demanding that I ship since I've held payment too long, blah blah blah, but I've already told him twice that I'd prefer a postal money order and will hold anything else until my bank says it's good. I've Googled his name and can't find any scam alerts.

So my questions: would you tell him to piss off? Would you accept the "payment" and wait until the bank says you're good (which could take weeks), knowing the guy will be screaming the whole time? Would you demand a postal money order and cash it at the post office immediately (note: my PO rarely has enough funds to pay MOs)? Maybe demand a Western Union money order and cash it at a local branch?

Anyway, opinions welcomed!
    Last edited by thebearpack; October 2nd, 2016 at 10:34 AM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Armslist sale (scam?) question: how would you handle it?

This is a scam. All payments types subject to clearing and can still come back and bite you in the butt weeks later. FWIW I've read of fake USPS money orders although they are less likely to be a problem. And sending you a paycheck? Come on...

Not to mention how does it make more sense for his FFL to inspect and possibly return something rather than get details and pics up front?

Unless you want some cheap entertainment and plan to play it out just to jerk them around for the fun of it (which I have done in the past, they eventually give up) I'd pass.

"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."- The Papers of Ben Franklin

(Bucks County)

It sounds just like a scam that fooled a guy I used to shoot with. The only difference is he was selling a set of rims instead of a gun.

(Bucks County)

Its probably someones stolen paycheck. It will clear at first but you will have problems later.

(Delaware County)

Yes it definitely smells like a scam. May be a fake payroll check and may even be in an Allies which is why you cant find any information on him. I would only accept the payment in the form that you are comfortable with.
    SEMPER GUMBY

(Bucks County)

If it doesn't seem right, don't do it. It's not worth the possible issues that may arise.

(Chester County)

It's a scam. Anytime they offer to over pay and want a check back, run away.

(Allegheny County)

WALK AWAY!!!..................... NO RUN!!

(Allegheny County)

Thanks everyone. Yeah, the paycheck thing was a huuuuge red flag of course. At first I was thinking of playing along but since as you guys mention, it could take weeks for the scam to surface, I don't really need his angry emails every day saying "why you no ship; you ship now!". Gonna tell him to stuff cash in a priority envelope if speed is such an issue.

(Mifflin County)

Tell him cash as in CASH in a secure envelope nothing less !

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast