Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MP5 Parts Kit

(Lehigh County)

Default MP5 Parts Kit

If I were to get a part's kit, meaning everything but the receiver, and a Receiver Flat - whats the process and order for legal assembly? I cant seem to find any info on assembling a SBR from part kits anywhere. I assume its..

1. Buy Part Kit
    2. Buy Flat
    3. Find guy to bend flat + engrave
    4. Fill out forms
    5. Wait
    6. On approval, have receiver made, and assemble?

Also, which age group does this fall into, the "after 18" or "after 21" crowd?

Finally, and rather off-topically, does an LLC count as a corp for NFA Items, and if the LLC was not set up for firearm ownership, is there a way to amend that, post-creation of the LLC?

Thanks,
    ~Fire
    Last edited by FireGS; September 27th, 2008 at 12:58 AM.
    Join the CHAT! Http://www.pa-zrt.com

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: MP5 Parts Kit

Additional:

Just had a brainstorm. My dad and I would be the ones getting the parts and assembling. I was wondering if we could assemble it as a Pistol, and no stock? Then, later on, add the adjustable stock and Register as an SBR?

Or, could I get a fake supressor for the short barrel and make it over 16"? Would it then not be NFA/Class III?

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by FireGS View Post
    Additional:

Just had a brainstorm. My dad and I would be the ones getting the parts and assembling. I was wondering if we could assemble it as a Pistol, and no stock? Then, later on, add the adjustable stock and Register as an SBR?

Or, could I get a fake supressor for the short barrel and make it over 16"? Would it then not be NFA/Class III?
    The fake suppressor thing is no good. If it is able to be taken off, then it is still and SBR. The actual barrel would have to be 16" or longer, and be fixed permanently, to be considered a rifle.

You can just make it a pistol with no stock. And of course register as SBR, before you put a stock on it.
    HK made the SP89, and that is a pistol. Then if you add a folding stock and a VFG, it is a MP5K, without the full auto option.
    You could buy the end cap to put where the stock would go. There is a US made one for $35, or factory HK for $120 /w sling swivel.
    I would also buy the handguard with the tactical light in it. That thing would be sweet.
    They sell them here at http://www.hkparts.net/5.htm. I buy all my HK parts here, Adam is great.
    Last edited by RONNIE77; September 26th, 2008 at 01:52 PM.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by RONNIE77 View Post
    The fake suppressor thing is no good. If it is able to be taken off, then it is still and SBR. The actual barrel would have to be 16" or longer, and be fixed permanently, to be considered a rifle.
    Ahh, okay. That makes sense.

In other news, I just talked to Dave Donley in Quakertown, the only Class III guy I know locally, and he told me that he wouldn't even do the work if I had the paperwork done. Do I need a Class III dealer to make the receiver, or can any gunsmith qualified do the work? If I don't need a class III dealer/Mfg to do the work, I still have to go through one to get the paperwork started, correct?

Every place I call to talk about this act like it's really Taboo. It's kind of funny. But REALLY annoying as well.

This looks like it's going to be a large hassle, but totally worth it.
    ~Fire

(Philadelphia County)

Ahh, okay. That makes sense.

In other news, I just talked to Dave Donley in Quakertown, the only Class III guy I know locally, and he told me that he wouldn't even do the work if I had the paperwork done. Do I need a Class III dealer to make the receiver, or can any gunsmith qualified do the work? If I don't need a class III dealer/Mfg to do the work, I still have to go through one to get the paperwork started, correct?

Every place I call to talk about this act like it's really Taboo. It's kind of funny. But REALLY annoying as well.

This looks like it's going to be a large hassle, but totally worth it.
    ~Fire
    Totally worth it............Definitely.

You can call the ATF branch, and they will send you the paperwork you need to fill out, and send back to them. http://www.titleii.com/Phone.htm

If you are going to do the SBR thing.
    I am not really sure the exact procedure on making the receiver, but I think any qualified gunsmith could do it, that is if you can find one.
    You can have your engraving done, and do the SBR paperwork your self. Just don't assemble until you get your stamp.

I am doing an HK UMP/USC conversion. I have the complete gun, and also the 8" barrel. I am getting the engraving done myself, and doing the paperwork myself also. I just can't put the barrel on, until I get my stamp.

There really is no advantage by having a Class III dealer do your paperwork. They only drag there feet with it. I know mine did, with my AR lowers.
    If you are doing a conversion, you don't need a Class III dealer.
    You only need a Class III dealer, if you are buying an already made NFA weapon.
    Do it yourself.
    Last edited by RONNIE77; September 26th, 2008 at 02:21 PM.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown

(Lehigh County)

I just got off the phone with Adam from HKPARTS.net, and he told me that if I did everything myself, I dont even have to have it registered. Thats quite a shocker. However, I'm no gunsmith, and I know I'd only muck it up.

He told me the easiest way to have it done, buy the parts, the flat, send it off to Jayson from IGF, tell him to make it as a PISTOL, then in 3 months, he'll send it back to any FFL as a Class I Pistol.

Anyone ever do this, or have any history with Investment Grade Firearms?
    ~Fire

(Philadelphia County)

I just got off the phone with Adam from HKPARTS.net, and he told me that if I did everything myself, I dont even have to have it registered. Thats quite a shocker. However, I'm no gunsmith, and I know I'd only muck it up.

He told me the easiest way to have it done, buy the parts, the flat, send it off to Jayson from IGF, tell him to make it as a PISTOL, then in 3 months, he'll send it back to any FFL as a Class I Pistol.

Anyone ever do this, or have any history with Investment Grade Firearms?
    ~Fire
    There you go brother.
    I told you, Adam is my man.
    Play around with it as a pistol, and then later on, do the paperwork yourself, get it engraved, wait for approval and just add a stock.......Done.
    BTW, what would he charge for that. I am thinking about it myself.
    Last edited by RONNIE77; September 26th, 2008 at 02:29 PM.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by RONNIE77 View Post
    BTW, what would he charge for that. I am thinking about it myself.
    Not sure. Just e-mailed him for details, so I'll be sure to post back when I get an answer for us.

OH. one last thing.

What stops me from putting a front vertical grip on my MP5 Pistol? Does that make it an SBR? Please say nooooo... >.<

(Beaver County)

Not sure. Just e-mailed him for details, so I'll be sure to post back when I get an answer for us.

OH. one last thing.

What stops me from putting a front vertical grip on my MP5 Pistol? Does that make it an SBR? Please say nooooo... >.<
    Vertical grip on a pistol makes it an AOW - requires registration just like SBR or MG. Just have the pistol made & SBR it.
    IGF does great work. I had an HK94 worked over to MP5 configration & another "MP5/Registered sear" gun refinished & 3-lugged by Jayson. You will be pleased.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jtl1952 View Post
    Vertical grip on a pistol makes it an AOW - requires registration just like SBR or MG.
    Correct!
    Even though the same registration is required. If you put a VFG on your pistol, you have to pay the $200 tax.
    But if you buy a pistol with the VFG already on it, you only pay a $5 tax.

Is that correct also?
    Last edited by RONNIE77; September 26th, 2008 at 04:03 PM.
    ZRT -SECTOR-7

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast