Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Ruger SR9

(Philadelphia County)

Default Ruger SR9

I know its a brand new gun but has anyone had a chance to learn anything about the Ruger SR9? I know people seem to have issue with 9mm but I was thinking about it for some IDPA shooting. I love my Glock 23 and was thinking that for a IDPA beginner the 9mm with a 17+1 cap would be nice. Plus all the advertising shows that it is be very competitively priced.
    Glock 23
    Ruger SR9

Default Re: Ruger SR9

Thank you for asking that, I was just wondering the same thing this evening. The one I held gave me an impression I've never gotten from a Ruger firearm, namely it felt cheap somehow. The grip was very comfy though. I'm wondering if there is any first hand experience with accuracy and reliability, aside from the current recall.

Edit: If I read the rules correctly, the 17 rounder won't do you any good for IDPA, though. Rules limit you to 10+1. You can use the 17 round magazine, but you can't load more than 10 into it.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    Thank you for asking that, I was just wondering the same thing this evening. The one I held gave me an impression I've never gotten from a Ruger firearm, namely it felt cheap somehow. The grip was very comfy though. I'm wondering if there is any first hand experience with accuracy and reliability, aside from the current recall.
    I have a Black SR9. I bought it to compete in IPSC production class. The accuracy is pretty good. Nothing compared to my Limited class gun. But has a decent accuracy for the price of the SR9. I never really measured my grouping at 25 yards, but maybe a 2-3" group. I bought it because it felt comfortable in my hand.
    It is a new model gun, so I expected some problems. Besides the recall, my trigger does not reset all the time even though the slide cycles and chambers another round. About 1 time out of 2 fully loaded mags. This is not common occurence from what I have read on other forums. Many of the SR9 owners have had no problems with theirs. Ruger is having me send it back in to correct that problem. So far I am happy with the response I have gotten from Ruger.

You also have to remove the mag disconnect so the pistol will fire with the mag out of it. This is to prove the chamber is empty by pulling the trigger after dropping mag,slide open, check chamber, slide closed, pull trigger, gun clear. This is a great pistol for IDPA, mine is very accurate.
    Ruger SR1911/SR9/Glock 19

(Philadelphia County)

I'm starting to wonder if the little that people had to say about the SR9 might be saying a lot about the gun itself. This has to be the fewest posts I have ever received to a question in this forum.
    Maybe it has something to do with the recall. Well thanks anyway to those who did respond. I guess I'll do some more personal research.
    Glock 23
    Ruger SR9

(Montgomery County)

There are a few on here that have one and like it,,I bought one and returned it the next day unfired,,Thankfully he took it back.

Felt great in hand but just seemed like if it would fit threw a bubble gum machine and you put a quarter in it might pop out,a far cry from being a hit for Ruger IMO
    Glock Certified Armorer, GSSF Member, NRA Member

(Bedford County)

A fine looking gun, but I haven't shot one yet. Who stocks them in Bedford, Blair, Somerset, or Cambria Counties?
    "Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish, and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day." -George Carlin

(Chester County)

The safety is a turn off to many people.
    The rear sight cut is VERY exotic, and I suspect after-market sights will always be an issue with this gun.
    The trigger pull makes a Glock feel like a semi-custom 1911.
    Mags and holsters are much harder to find than the alternatives.
    Your buying from a company which felt that civilians didn't have a right to own hi-capacity magazines.
    Disassembly is not the most convenient.

But, they shoot, and they work.
    Oh, and BTW...this has been covered in about a dozen threads on this gun already....