Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default What do you think of these 2 Taurus revolvers?

The first is a model 85 .38. Every time I look at it I feel differently about the gold accents. First I loved them, then I hated them. Today Im just like whatever, as long as the thing shoots. It was meant for my wife but she decided not to carry and there is a gun or two already positioned around the house so this pup spends most of its time locked in the safe.

The second is one of my first revolvers, the model 66 seven shot 357. It also lives in the safe but for range trips this thing shoots as accurate as my S&W model 19. It came with the rubber grip which is decent but once I found out they were available I found an original Taurus wood grip on ebay. It needed to be stripped, refinished and the gold polished but it came out ok. I prefer wood on revolvers whenever possible. The 38 has different grips than it came with too. Originals were a short wood grip that left your pinky underneath. Thanks for looking, Brian

Last edited by bripro; January 2nd, 2010 at 09:49 AM.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: What do you think of these 2 Taurus revolvers?

The second one is gorgeous. I'd love one just like it. For some reason I hate the colored front sights a lot of revolvers have. I think they are ugly even if they make it shoot better.

The first one isn't too bad, it could be far worse. The gold doesn't particularly bother me. I probably wouldn't buy it though.

(Lancaster County)

They look nice with the wood grips. I bought a Taurus M627 4" .357 a few years back for my wife, since she liked my S&W 686 (80's generation 6-shot). The ported barrel reduced barrel flip a bit with magnum loads, but we both really preferred the feel of the S&W. I ended up selling the Taurus to partially fund buying an XDm .40. I still like carrying the revolver, though the capacity and ease of loading/unloading with magazines gets the XDm on my belt more often that the .357. Enjoy the revolvers.

Alchemist77

The 66 looks great! I too prefer wood grips....must be an old school thing. Since I'm not partial to snubs the first one doesn't grab me, but given the right deal I have no doubt I'd have one like it.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Monroe County)

Back in the Day the Gold color trimmings were a hit with the Ladies, i;m surprised your wife didnt like it that much to cary it, i have a regular Model 85 ultralight, i took it offshore fishing one time for Deep sea cod , when i got home i realized that the Sea water had ruined the finish, but it still functions and handles like a fine Swiss Watch.

That 66 is awesomely beautiful.

nmn