Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default "Enforce the laws we already have" ... and I'll be darned, it actually seems to work!

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121789872887012221.html

August 5, 2008

Going After Crimes -- and Guns

Richmond, Va., Cleans Up Its Streets
    By Severely Punishing Any Firearms Offense

By GARY FIELDS
    August 5, 2008; Page A12
    Wall Street Journal

RICHMOND, Va. -- The National Rifle Association and the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence rarely agree on anything related to gun laws. But both support a law-enforcement program in Richmond that targets gun crimes.

The Supreme Court's Second Amendment decision in June that struck down restrictions on individual gun ownership caused city officials nationwide to worry that they could see an increase in gun violence. It also renewed interest in Richmond's efforts to combat it. The city has already reduced firearm-related violence dramatically. It has done so not by making gun purchases more difficult -- Virginia is one of the easiest places to legally buy a handgun -- but by severely punishing all gun crimes, including those as minor as illegal possession.

The decade-old program is credited with reducing the number of guns on the streets by 31% in its first year, 1997. By 2007, the city registered 56 murders, down from 112 in 1996, the last full year before the program was implemented. Armed robberies dropped nearly a third.

"What they're doing in Richmond isn't brain surgery," says Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives spokesman Mike Campbell. "They are sitting down and working for a common goal: put the mopes with the guns in jail. Word spreads when you do that."

Dubbed Project Exile, the program forms the foundation of a series of local, state and federal law-enforcement partnerships. It focuses on the city's most violent areas and hands out harsh sentences for any crime involving a firearm, a move that runs counter to traditional city tactics of barring gun stores and crafting onerous licensing requirements.

With concern over crime rising amid budget cuts to local law enforcement, a small but growing number of law-enforcement officials view Project Exile and the cooperative efforts in Richmond as a way to further accelerate the decline. Other cities, including Springfield and Peoria in Illinois have visited to see what Richmond is doing.

Although the NRA is challenging gun laws in various cities such as San Francisco and Chicago, it supports Richmond's efforts.

"By prosecuting them they prevent the drug dealer, the gang member and the felon from committing the next crime," says NRA Executive Vice President Wayne LaPierre. "Leave the good people alone and lock up the bad people and dramatically cut crime."

Although it wants more done to tamp down the supply of guns, the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence also supports Richmond's efforts, says Peter Hamm, Brady spokesman. The organization supports any measure that reduces violent crime, which the Richmond effort is doing, he says.

Before Project Exile began in 1997, Richmond had the third-highest murder rate in the nation, according to Federal Bureau of Investigation statistics. Guns were the weapons of choice. That year, then Deputy Assistant U.S. Attorney James Comey and Assistant Federal Prosecutor David Schiller promised 100% prosecution of gun crimes. They ran television and radio ads. A 40-foot city bus was emblazoned with the message: "An Illegal Gun Gets You 5 Years in Federal Prison." Bail was unlikely, parole nonexistent, and inmates facing federal time were more likely to be sent to prisons out of state.

As Project Exile has matured, the marketing campaign has toned down and it has become the basis for a larger cooperative effort. The tough penalties are still in place, but the state has added gun-related penalties of its own, some more severe than federal punishment. At a bimonthly meeting, a team of police, agents and state and federal prosecutors determine in which venue they will bring a case to ensure the maximum possible penalty.

"Whether you take a person state or federal, that person's gone," says David McCoy, the interim Richmond police chief. "The goal is to address violent crime and get violent criminals off the street."

In the 1990s other jurisdictions created similar programs to Exile and like Richmond had initial reductions in gun violence. They experienced a similar rise in that violence in the early 2000s. Violent crime dropped nationally in 2007 after a two-year rise -- even as violent crime continued to go up in smaller cities.

Richmond, however, seems to have overcome at least one obstacle that has endured elsewhere. Although state and federal agencies talk cooperation, there are turf wars -- and agencies aren't always as collegial as they are in Richmond.

But Richmond doubled down on the cooperation among state and federal agencies. The eight federal, state and local law-enforcement agencies and federal and state prosecutors meet regularly almost like one super police force determining where to deploy personnel.

In one example of cooperation, agents from the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the FBI took a case to ease the workload on local authorities, says Brian Swann, who heads the ATF office here. The defendant killed a man who was trying to steal his crack cocaine. Although murder cases aren't usually federal, this one involved a firearm and drugs, and so could be moved to federal court. The defendant got life plus 40 years.

North of downtown, Mr. Swann and fellow ATF agent James Panos cruise in an unmarked car. While the agents conduct investigations, they also patrol like city police, engaging citizens and talking to potential suspects, "just to let them know we're here and keeping an eye on them," Mr. Swann says.

The agents respond to all murders in their sectors, as well as all shootings. The other local, state and federal agencies conduct similar operations.

"If we get called out" and someone identifies a suspect as Peanut, "I expect my guys to know who 'Peanut' is, who his grandmother is, who he hung out with last night," Mr. Swann says.

Residents have become accustomed to the agents and wave from porches as they drive by. One house is pockmarked from an old shooting. Nearby, Mr. Panos identifies several people familiar to authorities. One was the subject of a 2006 raid at his home where three guns and 10 grams of crack cocaine were seized. "We couldn't tie him to the guns," Mr. Panos says.

Further along, another young man eyes the car warily. He is known around the neighborhood as a low-grade drug dealer, but one who refuses to carry a gun, Mr. Panos says.

It is quiet for the moment, even in the Providence Park area where there were six shootings earlier this year. State, local and federal officials descended on the area and things have calmed down. "Maybe we'll be out of a job one day," says Mr. Panos.

Write to Gary Fields at gary.fields@wsj.com1

URL for this article:
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121789872887012221.html

Default Re: "Enforce the laws we already have" ... and I'll be darned, it actually seems to w

Wow, so actually punishing the people who aren't allowed to have guns but have them anyways is cutting back on crime? Who would have thought?

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: "Enforce the laws we already have" ... and I'll be darned, it actually seems to w

The project they speak of was originally called "Project Exile". It amounted to joint enforcement of the GCA '68. Local police making a collar of a felon in possession of a firearm would refer the case for FEDERAL prosecution under GCA '68.

If you read Pa's UFA you'll see that possession of a firearm by a felon is an additional felony charge. But, it is an additional State charge that tends to get plea bargained away so it is essentially a waste. Similarly although federal law has banned possession of a firearm by a convicted felon (like Snoop Dog) for 40 years, most localities will not refer the cases to the RFeds for prosecution and most Federal Attorneys won't take the cases if they are referred.

(Bucks County)

wow... maybe mayor nutcase could try out this program... nah he won't want to actually enforce laws because he bereaks them.
    my goal: to get every good person in the philly region responsibly armed.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by ccphilly1984 View Post
    wow... maybe mayor nutcase could try out this program... nah he won't want to actually enforce laws because he bereaks them.
    IIRC, the NRA wanted to expand Project Exile to Philly but (Mayor) Rendell and the city council shot it down. One wonders how much better there crime stats would be if they would've gone with the program.
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

“The will to win is important. But the will to prepare is vital.” — Joe Paterno

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
    IIRC, the NRA wanted to expand Project Exile to Philly but (Mayor) Rendell and the city council shot it down. One wonders how much better there crime stats would be if they would've gone with the program.
    Examples like this just really make you think about how eff'd in the head our politicians are anymore....It's actually depressing.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3339&dateline=1300221  289

The National Rifle Association and the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence rarely agree on anything related to gun laws. But both support a law-enforcement program in Richmond that targets gun crimes.
    So the 'good guys' and the bad guys are against the constitutions. That is why I cannot support either.

Enforcing the laws we already have might go all the way back to 'assault' and 'homicide'. I'm not sure why 'enforcing the laws on the books' as is would ever be a good thing.
    Last edited by pex; August 6th, 2008 at 01:16 PM.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by pex View Post
    So the 'good guys' and the bad guys are against the constitutions. That is why I cannot support either.

Enforcing the laws we already have might go all the way back to 'assault' and 'homicide'. I'm not sure why 'enforcing the laws on the books' as is would ever be a good thing.

So an automatic five years in a federal correctional institute for commission of a crime with a firearm is anti-constitutional?

Is there something alse you're referring too?
    Kind Regards,
    ChuckS

“The will to win is important. But the will to prepare is vital.” — Joe Paterno

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post

So an automatic five years in a federal correctional institute for commission of a crime with a firearm is anti-constitutional?

Is there something alse you're referring too?
    If the crime 'being committed with the firearm' is so heinous that there must be another crime that is the crime of committing the other crime, so heinous, with a firearm, why do we even need to CONSIDER flying in the face of the explicit reminders or provisions of rights? Why not just make the actually heinous act criminal and take appropriate action from there?

We've reverted to an acceptance of patchwork to make up for a perceived lack of justice due to the apparent present nature of the justice system. We're going to then have that blow up and have to use patchwork on it, until the infrastructure becomes so fragile that it collapses.

Why are we making so many excuses for government in 'the freest nation of the world'?

Do I really need to be the first to say that it should be legal for people to use firearms in the commission of crimes? Is that too politically incorrect? Should I think about the children?

(Philadelphia County)

Philly _had_ the program...Nobody remembers Operation: Cease Fire?

It was a hit, as I recall. Though, I don't know (and a quick glance around the Internet didn't provide anything) what ever became of it.

http://www.citypaper.net/articles/04...erstory1.shtml

-sfg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast