Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Ruger Parts Ordering

Just got off the phone with Ruger, about purchasing a new barrel for my GP100.

Op- "Ok sir, what barrel length does your gun have?"
    Me- "I want to purchase the 4" stainless barrel, with full shroud."
    Op- "One moment while I pull that up. What is wrong with your current barrel?"
    Me- "It originally had the 6", and Id like a shorter barrel for carry."
    Op- "You said it was a 4"."
    Me- "No, I want to buy the 4" barrel to replace the 6"."
    Op- "Well sir, when I asked you what barrel your gun had, you told me 4", not 6"."
    Me- "Oh, does it matter?"
    Op- "Yes, I need to know the barrel length so I can look it up. I see here sir that we cannot sell you the 6" barrel, it can only be factory installed."
    Me- "You mean the 4" barrel?"
    Op- "Either way sir, it can only be done by factory."
    Me- "How much will that cost?" (Topton Handgunner will do it for $50)
    Op- "Let me put you on hold for a moment."
    Op- "Ok sir, this will be quite costly. The barrel is $95 ($87 on the website), theres a refinishing fee of $130 (found nowhere on site), and the barrel installation is $80."
    Me- "Refinishing fee?"
    Op- "Yes."
    Me- "...What refinishing?"
    Op- "Well sir, the barrels are sent to us in the white, and they have to be machined down (apparantly the $95 is just for a blank of steel)."
    Me- "Well, thats simply rediculous, bye."

Fuck a bunch of Ruger. Theyre guns are awesome, but theyre customer service is absolute crap. Id send in an email about the poor service and incorrect (and ludicrous) pricing, but I doubt it would get me anywhere.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Ruger Parts Ordering- Asshats

Call back and try again! Sometimes you get some dick that's having a bad day at work and he takes pleasure in stroking the customer off! I'd try again and see if you can get someone helpful or if it goes the same direction...ask to speak to his/her superior. No company large or small wants to fool around with poor customer service!

(Luzerne County)

As with most manufacturers, Ruger is not interested in doing "gunsmithing".
    They manufacture guns. ~The End

Quote Originally Posted by CommonHighrise View Post
    Me- "How much will that cost?" (Topton Handgunner will do it for $50)
    I'm pretty sure Randy has a hacksaw! Seriously though, maybe he can order the barrel for you.

I was going to suggest Numrich Arms, but they are currently sold out of 4" stainless barrels....($73.80) Although they might get more in in the next month or three. And the finish of stainless steel is, um unfinished.....in the white would be bare steel.... I think the CS rep you spoke with wasn't paying close enough attention, although they probably won't sell you a barrel, either factory installed or a factory authorized gunsmith.

(Delaware County)

I think Brownells carries Ruger parts, might be worth checking.

I wonder if they've made the search function on the website remotely useful yet.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

Brownell's shows it not available....

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by CommonHighrise View Post
    Op- "Ok sir, this will be quite costly. The barrel is $95 ($87 on the website), theres a refinishing fee of $130 (found nowhere on site), and the barrel installation is $80."
    Me- "Refinishing fee?"
    Op- "Yes."
    Me- "...What refinishing?"
    Op- "Well sir, the barrels are sent to us in the white, and they have to be machined down (apparantly the $95 is just for a blank of steel)."
    Me- "Well, thats simply rediculous, bye."
    Ok, so instead of calling him on his bullshit about the refinishing fee, you simply hung up?

Why not inform him that stainless is NOT in the white, and therefore his ''refinishing fee" would not be necessary?

Clearly, he was hearing half of your conversation. Was he distracted or just uncaring? I would have asked him, "Why are you not listening to me?". I would have simply pointed out he must not be paying attention and ask to speak with his supervisor. DONE.

Then, the supervisor would be in a position to counsel him and hopefully improve customer service for the next poor slob that calls in. You, on the other hand, let him off the hook.

Quite honestly, it's great that you know a local smith who can do the job for what, $30 less than a factory job? Figuring the barrel will cost the same, you get factory service, factory warranty and the knowledge that IF the Ruger Tech boogers up your gun, you won't have to take them to small claims to get your gun fixed or replaced?

Sounds like you let your temper get the better of you.

Call Ruger back and get a different tech, or better yet, demand the service you desire.

I think that your going to Ruger is the best option, as long as there is an understanding up front about the 'refinishing fee' which on a blue steel gun, is not a bad deal.
    He was one of God’s own prototypes—a high-powered mutant of some kind who was never even considered for mass production. He was too weird to live and too rare to die....