Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs up Impressed by Sportsmansguide

First of all, I've got to note that the large majority of great deals I've seen on the internet in the last few months have been on Sportsmansguide.com

As if that was not impressive in itself, their website is incredibly well designed and operated in comparison to many competing websites. They make it easy to identify which items are in stock, and they update frequently and rather accurately. There have been a few exceptions to this, but when things sell out in less than a minute and a half, can you really expect perfection?

Shipping is not too expensive, and it is lightning fast! I ordered a can of ammunition at night on the 26th, so technically it was the 27th, and received the ammo this morning on my doorstep. Compare that to my orders of ammunition from other places, and we're talking a mere fraction of the wait time.

Overall I am very impressed with the ease of ordering/viewing on the website, impressed with the prices of their inventory, impressed with their variety of inventory, and impressed with the shipping and service. Big thumbs up, and wanted to share my recommendation with anyone who has been thinking about ordering from them.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Impressed by Sportsmansguide

I, on the other hand, will never , ever (did I say ever?) do business with them again.

Quite a few years ago, I placed and order for 2K of .223. I received a confirmation email.
    1 1/2 weeks later, I get a snail mail letter informing me that the cost increased substantially and if I paid the difference, they would ship.
    I called, talked to a supervisor who informed me that it was policy to change pricing without notice.
    I informed supervisor that I was in receipt of email confirmation of price.
    Supervisor would not budge on price change but said they would give me a $10 off coupon I could apply to order.
    I refused, stating I believed SG should honor price especially since confirmation.
    Super refused but asked if a $20 coupon would be OK to apply to order.

I declined and promised super that was my last transaction ever. I further promised to write an email like this whenever possible.

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post
    I, on the other hand, will never , ever (did I say ever?) do business with them again.

Quite a few years ago, I placed and order for 2K of .223. I received a confirmation email.
    1 1/2 weeks later, I get a snail mail letter informing me that the cost increased substantially and if I paid the difference, they would ship.
    I called, talked to a supervisor who informed me that it was policy to change pricing without notice.
    Supervisor would not budge on price change but said they would give me a $10 off coupon I could apply to order.
    I refused, stating I believed SG should honor price especially since confirmation.

I declined and promised super that was my last transaction ever. I further promised to write an email like this whenever possible.
    Wow man, that really happened?? All I can say is that if that ever happens to me, I will do exactly as you are doing right now. Hopefully they have changed their policy from so many years ago? I can't imagine that type of policy existing anywhere these days.

I've bought a couple things from them so far. Bought a 1000 rounds of Wolf 223 for $200, probably two weeks before Sandy Hook and a 1000 rounds of brown Bear makarov ammo for $180 a week before Sandy. Both were already on back order and got pushed back. Ultimately got the makarov ammo at the end of February and the 223 ammo last week. I find its a good place to buy cheap, assuming you don't need it right away. I'm happy I actually have some cheap ammo to use while all the ammo shelves are barren.

I guess they could have tried to pull some shenigans and tried to cancel or increase the price, but the honored the backorder price and didn't charge until shopped. Also got a crate of 7.62 X 54R and that shipped within the week. The buyers club actually does work out to your benefit if you place more than one order, in fact my first order paid for itself (pro tip, when placing your first order it will give a prompt asking you to join, say no at first, it'll ask again and give you free shipping on top of any promo you may be using).

Overall I can't complain, I know a lot of people who despise the place or can't stand the wait times, but so far they've been good to me aside from pushing my ship dates back.

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Montgomery County)

I placed an order from them a few months ago. Some things were backordered but eventually came. One item never came and when I called to ask they told me it was cancelled because they didn't have any in stock. Never told me about it until I inquired then offered a $5 coupon to make up for it. I wasn't thrilled but everything else was priced fair and shipped timely and at a fair cost.

(Berks County)

I have been ordering from SG for going on 20 years. Not as much in the last few years, they have definately gone downhill a bit in the last few.

This seems to be a common complaint with them lately, I have read a lot of similar stories like this.

"In the good old days" they were a great outfit, tons of surplus and ammo to be had with great prices, it seems they are slipping.

That said, last year I found a M-1 Garand parts kit (everything but receiver) I bought 15 years ago from them for $150...I forgot all about it...

They occasionally have some great stuff.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by 762xIan View Post
    I have been ordering from SG for going on 20 years. Not as much in the last few years, they have definately gone downhill a bit in the last few.

This seems to be a common complaint with them lately, I have read a lot of similar stories like this.

"In the good old days" they were a great outfit, tons of surplus and ammo to be had with great prices, it seems they are slipping.

That said, last year I found a M-1 Garand parts kit (everything but receiver) I bought 15 years ago from them for $150...I forgot all about it...

They occasionally have some great stuff.
    I still have two Polish underfolder AK kits complete with barrel and Bayo that I bought years back for $99 from them.
    Using them for investments for my girls, they are locked away with two NODAK receivers with custom serial numbers.

But yes, they are slipping a bit in the recent past, I think it has to do more with the supplies of true surplus drying up.

Honestly, they really don't have anything anymore that I can't find locally at the same price.
    I still order occasionally, once or twice a year with no problems.

(Tioga County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    But yes, they are slipping a bit in the recent past, I think it has to do more with the supplies of true surplus drying up.
    The end of the Cold War opened up a lot of opportunity for those in the surplus business as those on both sides of that fence had a lot of surplus to dump. Probably most of those goodies have dried up by now and militaries since then have scaled down in size.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by chillafusion View Post
    Wow man, that really happened?? All I can say is that if that ever happens to me, I will do exactly as you are doing right now. Hopefully they have changed their policy from so many years ago? I can't imagine that type of policy existing anywhere these days.
    Up until that point, I had ordered quite a bit of stuff from them over a 5 year or so span. I had no complaints and items shipped in a reasonable amount of time.
    I had heard a few bad stories but had never been affected directly.

I told them to perhaps review my order history and see if it would be beneficial to keep me as a customer.
    It is evident that they had so much business, mine did not matter.

So be it.

Quote Originally Posted by 27hand View Post

I could understand this if it was on back order. And it was stated in their policies. But if they have it in stock no way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast