Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Gun Safes

(Blair County)

Default Gun Safes

I recently had a son and I have a Glock pistol. I'm want to get a gun safe, something I can mount to the floor or wall, that I can access in a hurry if I need to.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't want to spend a ton of money on a real safe. I started looking around, and this is something I came up with.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/78100-5185-895.html

It seems to fit what I want, but one review said the batteries go every month. 8 AA.

Thanks in advance.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Gun Safes

My Gunvault has been going strong for at least a year without a battery change. I open and close it at least 4x every day.

It isn't going to stop someone who wants in. You can get into it with a hammer and a flathead screwdriver or chisel if you felt like it. It'd probably take all of 10-20 seconds.

Mine is used simply because it's an easy place to store loaded guns for quick access, whilst keeping little hands out.

Even a "real" safe isn't going to do much good if someone really wants in. I could get into mine (an expensive Liberty) in less than 10 minutes with the right blade on a circular saw. Or a cheap torch set. No safe is going to stop someone determined.

By the way -- how old is your son? Mine is 3 months old.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Blair County)

Thanks. That's what I was looking for. Just want to keep my son away. He just turned 9 months old. He's crawling around and loves to play with anything he's not allowed to play with. I used to keep my pistol under the bed in arms reach with a loaded clip next to it.

As soon as he started crawling, it went into a strong box in the top of the closet.

Thanks again. Oh, and at 3 months, the fun is only starting.....

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by liontamer127 View Post
    I recently had a son and I have a Glock pistol. I'm want to get a gun safe, something I can mount to the floor or wall, that I can access in a hurry if I need to.

Does anyone have any recommendations? I don't want to spend a ton of money on a real safe. I started looking around, and this is something I came up with.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/78100-5185-895.html

It seems to fit what I want, but one review said the batteries go every month. 8 AA.

Thanks in advance.
    Liontamer127,

I have a Gunvault too.
    I've had mine for at LEAST 4 years - no battery "problems".
    I think I may have changed the battery once, but I can't be sure.

We have no children, but it's there if we have visitors with kids and for when we go away.
    I like the fact that you can bolt it to the floor.

I looked at several models, but the Gunvault was the FASTEST to access in a hurry.
    (others have come along since my purchase and may be as good - or better)
    I have the larger MultiVault, it's a bit taller, but has a shelf so you can place more inside.
    http://gunvault.com/products/

Hope that helps!