Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pistol Safes

(Delaware County)

Question Pistol Safes

Is anyone using a "V-Line" brand pistol safe? I was looking at their "hideaway" model on their website. I want one that uses the simplex lock set up.
    If you have one, how do you like it, is it built pretty strong? Thanks for any info.
    Years ago I bought a great, small safe from R & D Enterprises in Calif. This thing is bomb proof... I went to get another one and they are no longer in business.
    Something must have really gone wrong with their business, they made a fantastic product... Probably weren't charging enough for their stuff and went under.

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Pistol Safes

i've never used 'v-line'

...but i'd suggest you look at the GV series GunVault

http://www.gunvault.com

...they are a bit pricey, but their construction and ease of access have always impressed me (in fact i use one as my night stand safe to this day)

quick access in pitch dark, in less than a couple seconds, and a very secure build.
    Last edited by Advocate; May 13th, 2008 at 06:41 PM.

(Centre County)

I have the GunVault Mini. I like it.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    i've never used 'v-line'

...but i'd suggest you look at the GV series GunVault

http://www.gunvault.com

...they are a bit pricey, but their construction and ease of access have always impressed me (in fact i use one as my night stand safe to this day)

quick access in pitch dark, in less than a couple seconds, and a very secure build.
    +1 on the Gun Vault. Well worth the money.
    VEGETARIAN: Native American word meaning "bad hunter"

(Chester County)

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I've been thinking of getting a "quick access" pistol safe.

Well, it seems like nothing could be faster/easier than a biometric lock. Of course, the things that worry me about these locks is that it will fail right when I need it, or that it will open for someone else given enough tries.

Here is one from GunVault: http://www.gunvault.com/multibiometric.nxg

Does anyone have any experience with these?

(Chester County)

+1 on the gunvault deluxe.

DON'T get the biometric lock kind. the finger print readers aren't 100% yet. You'll get a LOT of false negatives. At least I have with the fingerprint reader on a 2 year old laptop. Unless there was some quantum jump in electronic fingerprint reader technology, stay away. At least for something you want to get into quickly.

The gunvault safes with the 4 finger buttons are very quick to get into. Just get into the habit of opening it. Commit that combination to muscle memory.

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by MTechnik View Post
    +1 on the gunvault deluxe.

DON'T get the biometric lock kind. the finger print readers aren't 100% yet. You'll get a LOT of false negatives. At least I have with the fingerprint reader on a 2 year old laptop. Unless there was some quantum jump in electronic fingerprint reader technology, stay away. At least for something you want to get into quickly.

The gunvault safes with the 4 finger buttons are very quick to get into. Just get into the habit of opening it. Commit that combination to muscle memory.
    makes me wonder... my office laptop is brand new and the biometric access of it is flawless. I even have it setup so that three of my employees can use it if needed and it works 99% of the time.

don't get me wrong i own the gunvault with the finger buttons and love it, but if the current gun vaults function like my laptop biometric, i'd trade for one in a heartbeat

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate View Post
    makes me wonder... my office laptop is brand new and the biometric access of it is flawless. I even have it setup so that three of my employees can use it if needed and it works 99% of the time.

don't get me wrong i own the gunvault with the finger buttons and love it, but if the current gun vaults function like my laptop biometric, i'd trade for one in a heartbeat
    Biometric locks can easily be defeated. Every time you touch your laptop you leave a fingerprint that can be lifted and used to unlock your PC - same goes for a biometric Gun Vault. Biometrics (at least the fingerprint kind) are feel good measures that really don't keep someone from breaking into your stuff. Also, what happens if you cut your finger or burn your hand and it alters your fingerprints in some way? You still have to log in the old fashion way.

The only way to properly secure data in your laptop is to encrypt the hard drive so that if someone steals it, they can't use the data without breaking the encryption. Unfortunately, you can't encrypt the contents of your safe so a good strong vault is your only option.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by L T C View Post
    Is anyone using a "V-Line" brand pistol safe? I was looking at their "hideaway" model on their website. I want one that uses the simplex lock set up.
    If you have one, how do you like it, is it built pretty strong? Thanks for any info.
    Years ago I bought a great, small safe from R & D Enterprises in Calif. This thing is bomb proof... I went to get another one and they are no longer in business.
    Something must have really gone wrong with their business, they made a fantastic product... Probably weren't charging enough for their stuff and went under.
    Are these the little ones, like you'd tuck under a car seat?

I have a deluxe multi-vault in the bedroom, but there's little point in commenting on it, if it won't work for what you need it for.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Chester County)

Also, with regards to biometric fingerprint locks, I heard a story about a guy in Malaysia with a Mercedes that operated by fingerprint readers. Some thieves tried to carjack him, he told them the car was useless without his finger. So they took it.

Here's the article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/4396831.stm

I like my fingers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast