Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default Thought crimes are now a reality.

http://www.mailtribune.com/apps/pbcs...9/NEWS/3090315

Unless the information they wont release is that this man made threats then this is some crazy unprecidented shit.

Police act swiftly after gun purchases
    ODOT worker who'd been put on leave is mentally evaluated after buying handguns, AK-47
    Text Size: A | A | A
    Print this ArticlePrint this Article Email this ArticleEmail this Article
    ShareThis
    March 09, 2010
    Anita Burke
    By Anita Burke
    Mail Tribune

Concerns about an Oregon Department of Transportation employee who purchased several guns after being placed on leave prompted law enforcement across Southern Oregon to step in.

Negotiators and a SWAT team from Medford police safely took a man — whose name wasn't released — into protective custody Monday morning in the 500 block of Effie Street, Medford police said in a news release.

He was taken to Rogue Valley Medical Center for a mental-health evaluation.

The man recently had been placed on administrative leave from his job and was "very disgruntled," the news release said.

ODOT Communications Director Patrick Cooney said there were administrative, personnel matters involved that limited what the department could discuss.

However, the state agency had reported concerns about the man to law enforcement agencies, who started monitoring him, officials said.

"We had concerning information regarding a personnel issue and were watching the subject," Jackson County Sheriff Mike Winters said.

In two days, the man bought a Heckler & Koch .45-caliber universal self-loading handgun, a Walther .380-caliber handgun and an AK-47 assault rifle, Medford police Lt. Bob Hansen said. All of those firearms were purchased legally, with required record checks by the Oregon State Police.

Authorities were "extremely concerned" that the man may have been planning to retaliate against his employers, the news release said.

"Instead of being reactive, we took a proactive approach," OSP Sgt. Jeff Proulx said.

Douglas and Jackson County sheriff's departments, OSP officers based in both counties and police in Medford and Roseburg collaborated, he said.

Medford police watched the man's home overnight, starting at about 9 p.m. Sunday, Hansen said.

Because he was known to have weapons, police wanted to defuse the situation and ensure the man wasn't a danger to himself or others before the neighborhood awakened and people started their daily activities, Hansen said.

Medford's hostage negotiators and SWAT team were called in at 3 a.m. Monday and arrived on the scene at about 5:45 a.m., he said.

About a dozen officers responded. They closed the street for about an hour and evacuated three homes to protect neighbors and prevent bystanders from gathering, he said.

After a phone conversation with negotiators, the man — who was alone in the home — agreed to come out, Hansen said.

Police seized the recently purchased firearms, as well as another .45-caliber Heckler & Koch handgun and a 12-gauge shotgun. Police are holding the weapons for safekeeping, but no criminal charges have been filed.

Reach reporter Anita Burke at 541-776-4485, or e-mail aburke@mailtribune.com.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Thought crimes are now a reality.

Raid, confiscation, and no charges filed... seems like a sure fire way to piss someone off
    Hoplophobia is funny

(Lancaster County)

hhhmmmmmm , i just dont know. He didnt do anything illegal but it seems suspicious. Tough call , not sure I wouldnt have done the same thing.
    No longer posting

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by riverpirate View Post
    hhhmmmmmm , i just dont know. He didnt do anything illegal but it seems suspicious. Tough call , not sure I wouldnt have done the same thing.
    To some open carriers seem suspicious....
    Like I said I hope there is info we dont have, if not this is downright scary.

(Blair County)

Heckler & Koch .45-caliber universal self-loading handgun
    Also what is this? You just put it in the general vacinity of ammunition and it does the rest?
    I know it doesnt, but why did they write it like that
    Last edited by Edg; March 9th, 2010 at 08:30 PM.

(Carbon County)

Wow now if they think you might do something illegal they pick you up for safe keeping. I guess I better watch who comes to my door, I bought 3 guns in the last 6 months, maybe they'll come and take me away.

(Lehigh County)

Anyone know how we can get the affidavits for this case?

(Jefferson County)

Sounds like someone just won the brown gavel lottery.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

WOW!!! Talk about a big pay out. I surely hope they had some sort of detainment order signed by a judge or protective custody order, something other than....guy gets suspended/fired, buys guns since he's gonna have 18 months of unemployment to go shooting all the time now, and not some nit wit ballless boss.

I still think the agencies involved are gonna end up paying out big bucks.

Quote Originally Posted by riverpirate View Post
    I surely hope, you just forgot the sarcasm smiley...........

Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast