Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default Idiots at the range

Went to the state shooting range on Route 6 today (#183). I was reminded of WHY it is never a good idea to go there on the weekend. I get a point, but the guy next to me has THREE of them, with a rifle set up on each one. Other people are waiting, and he's got three points set up! The far end has a family of a husband and wife, plus three kids all under 12. They spend the time fighting over who shoots what and who is a better shooter. Parents showing almost no supervision of their kids as they shoot at their own targets. Then the guy next to me shows up. He decides to load his M1 Garand while the barrel is pointing right at me. I tried to rip him a new one, but it's hard to do that when they don't speak English! And to top it off, I have to listen to the guy on the other side of me shouting obscenities at the targets as he shoots at them. Mostly ethinc slurs aimed at asians (looked like a Vietnam vet. Camo head to toe and he was shooting an M1 carbine.)

Some people have NO clue as to what they are doing and they have this deadly weapon that is very unforgiving.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Idiots at the range

This has to be one of the most common reasons that most of us join private clubs. The other being the 3 round limit (6 for handguns at a designated handgun range). The SGL ranges are infamous for this kind of stuff and worse.

Of course there are idiots at private clubs too, but there seem to be fewer and you have the recourse of contacting a club official and making an official complaint.
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

(Luzerne County)

That is why I joined a private range, and will never go to a SGL range. My biggest problem is I take safety very seriously. I will try and politely correct someone who does something wrong, but if you give me mouth and tell me to mind my own business then look out because i will and have ripped people a new one. Then I get so pissed i end up leaving and there goes my day of shooting.

(Lackawanna County)

Oh I feel your pain. I have since joined 2 private ranges. I was at the range one day and we had a cease fire to chang targets and some moron and his friend are walking down and one puts a rifle on the others shoulder half way down the 100yd range and just as he is about to pull the trigger about 10 or more of us started shouting hey what are ya doing. Mean while there were others down range. Also on the same day a half hour later on a cease fire someone lets one down range with me and my son down range. Nothing said the gentleman knew what happened packed up and went home without a word said. I had had it right there and then.

Now that I've joined a club I understand SOOO much better why so many of us don't like the SGL ranges. I guess I got used to the stupidity or ignorance. It's really nice to hit the range and never see bad manners, guns or social.

(Lehigh County)

I was at that range back in July. Three guys from NY with heavy accents arrive. It was just me and these three guys. They seemed nice enough, and we chatted a bit. After a few minutes, we decided it was time to go downrange to check our targets. That's when things got bad.

Luckily a PGC worker was there cleaning up. What he spotted (and I didn't) may have saved my life. Two of the three guys were trying to "unjam" a shotgun, pointed downrange where the third guy and I were. The PGC worker yelled to me, then talked to the two guys.

Damn, I couldn't thank that guy enough. I never realized that these three guys managed to jam two of their shotguns, and two of these guys were playing with one of their weapons when I got in front of them downrange.

I usually make it a habit if the range is crowded (and that one usually is), I just turn around and go fishing instead.

(Pike County)

Anyone know of a range to join near Milford?

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue301 View Post
    Also on the same day a half hour later on a cease fire someone lets one down range with me and my son down range. Nothing said the gentleman knew what happened packed up and went home without a word said.
    that is just ridiculously ignorant. i cant stand stupid people.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by truecrimson View Post
    The other being the 3 round limit (6 for handguns at a designated handgun range). The SGL ranges are infamous for this kind of stuff and worse.
    Reading some of the post here about the nuts at the range I think these rules might be a good thing. 3 round limits in guns can cause a lot less damage as a full mag. I can only imagine the horrors that some people could do with large mags.

ΑΣΦ

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast