Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Exclamation New to the game..need advice

Thanks for looking at the post, truly need the help...first time shotgun buyer ....have shot clays a handful of times of the past few years and want to commit.... Trap/Skeet to start, possibly Upland Hunting down the road...after some research, specs below as to what I want...NEED YOUR HELP IN SUGGESTING BRAND/MODELS:

* Over/Under
    * 12 Gauge
    * Barrel - 28 or 30?
    * Budget up to $1200

Look forward to your thoughts and thanks for helping a novice

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: New to the game..need advice

I shoot a plan-jane Stoeger Condor ($450) so I'll leave the make/model suggestions to the others. The most important thing in selecting a shotgun that you will shoot a lot is how it fits you. When you shoulder the gun, you should be looking straight down the plane of the rib...if the gun has two beads, they should be directly in line. You should not see the top of the rib at all. Does the comb (top) of the buttstock feel like it's contacting your cheekbone?....if it does, and it bruises you, you'll be flinching for the rest of the day. When you get an idea of which guns you may want to consider....PLEASE...find a shop where you can handle them and see what fits...don't buy one without handling it first!
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

I agree. Proper fit is the most important aspect of shotgunning.

A simple way to check for fit is: When you're looking at a shotgun, (Checking to make sure it's not loaded of course), close your eyes & shoulder it naturally. The same way you're going to do when a bird flushes. If it fits, you'll be looking straight down the barrel. You shouldn't have to move your head up, down, or to either side to get the beads aligned.

Length of pull can maybe be adjusted by adding or removing a recoil pad, but that may affect the drop, etc.

As for brands, I have a Browning Citori in 20 ga, a Churchill in 12 ga, & my favorite, a Ugartecha Grade III 16 ga SxS. I"ve had them all for years, but I think the Browning would be closest to your stated price range.

(Montgomery County)

Thank you both

(Allegheny County)

A few tips.

1. Don't drop $1200 on your first U/O. Buy something half that.
    2. You don't want to buy a gun with a finish that you won't want to take into the field because you'll mess it up (see #1).
    3. Beads on a trap gun should stack, as in a figure "8". If you line them up you'll shoot under the bird unless you cover it.
    4. The Stoeger condor is not a bad choice at all for beginner clays and in the field.
    5. I'm assuming you are right handed. Fitting a shotgun for a lefty is a pain. Most good trap guns have a cant in the stock or a palm swell to fit right handers.
    Last edited by Gunny1969; September 6th, 2009 at 05:42 PM.
    "Giving up freedom for security is beginning to look naïve".

(Delaware County)

Does it have to be an O\U? Have you considered a Semi Auto? You can get a quality semi for around that price.

My second thought is, don't buy a cheap gun. No offense to anyone here. If you are going to shoot trap and skeet, and shoot a lot, buy a good quality gun. Find a gun you like, if you don't have enough money right now save some more and get what you want. A good quality shotgun will last you a lifetime.

Remember, you get what you pay for. If you shoot a lot, you will wear out a lesser gun. If you aren't going to shoot more than say a 1000 rounds a year, you could probably get away with something less.
    I shoot that in a month sometimes. I know guys that shoot 20,000 rounds or more a year. They aren't shooting beginner guns, what ever that is.

I have 4 shotguns that are 35 plus yrs. old, and they have never needed any repairs. Quality matters!

Browning,Beretta,Reminton, Benelli and Winchester are all good guns. There are others, but they aren't any better than these IMO.{for the money}

Good luck. You could look for a used O\U if you know what to look for.
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.