Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Study: Gun Shows Main Source Of Guns Used In Crime

http://cbs13.com/crime/gun.shows.crime.2.1159216.html

Don't most states require background checks and transfers for private sales? Sounds like anti-gun propaganda to me.

And is it me, or did she just contradict herself at the end of the video?

Default Re: Study: Gun Shows Main Source Of Guns Used In Crime

This is the exact opposite of investigative journalism. String together a few "factoids" and claim that it proves whatever conclusion you set out to make.

In PA all handgun sales (dealer or private) require that a background check be conducted by a Federal Firearms Licensee. Long guns can be sold between private parties without a check.

If they bother to look at the other side -- guns actually used in a crime -- readily available statistics from the Justice Department say that very few were obtained at gun shows. The vast majority are from family, friends, or bought on the street (mostly stolen). So-called "assault weapons" are rarely used in crimes -- it's pretty tough for the street thug to carry those around Mexican-style. But that wouldn't serve their agenda, would it?

From Department of Justice report "Firearm Use by Offenders"

Where criminals in prison obtained their guns:

Off the street 39.2%
    Friends or family 39.6%
    Gun show 0.7%
    Flea market 1.0%
    Pawnshop 3.8%
    Retail store 8.3%

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/fuo.pdf

(York County)

So, if we add up all the murders and violent crimes committed with stolen firearms or illegally obtained firearms, then add up all the.....

Damn, thats ALOT of gun shows going on in this country!!

Seriously, what a bullshit study. So your telling me that the vast majority of the illegally obtained guns used in violent crimes and murders came from Gun shows? Of which there are only a couple handfuls of, each year, in each state?
    "A peaceful mind generates power"

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by donm View Post
    From Department of Justice report "Firearm Use by Offenders"

Where criminals in prison obtained their guns:

Off the street 39.2%
    Friends or family 39.6%
    Gun show 0.7%
    Flea market 1.0%
    Pawnshop 3.8%
    Retail store 8.3%

http://www.ojp.usdoj.gov/bjs/pub/pdf/fuo.pdf

Wow, even flea markets beat them out. lol...
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

(Bucks County)

Yeah, I actually read the study. There is absolutely NO data to back up his ideas, its just anti-gun bs.

(Lancaster County)

Paid for by the Joyce Foundation, I'd imagine.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by kindred_spirits View Post
    Yeah, I actually read the study. There is absolutely NO data to back up his ideas, its just anti-gun bs.
    Yep just made up anti-gun agenda propaganda BfreakingS.

I read the article, and I looked for factual assertions that appear to support the headline. The closest I saw I put in blue, but it only re-states the headline; the rest is just poisoning the well. All the statistics and numbers and claims do nothing at all to support the headline claim.

I'm also baffled by the two parallel, contradictory premises here, shown in green: That on the one hand, there are no laws controlling these sales; and on the other hand, people are flagrantly violating those laws.

Study: Gun Shows Main Source Of Guns Used In Crime
    DAVIS, Calif.

Assault weapon offered for 'private sale' at a gun show in Jacksonville, Florida. The buyer will not have to go through a background check or fill out a Firearms Transaction Record unless the seller happens to also be a licensed retailer.

A new report from UC Davis researchers finds that American gun shows are the leading source of guns used in crimes, not just in the United States, but Mexico and Canada as well.

The undercover study by UC Davis Violence Prevention Research Program is called "What Goes On When Everybody Thinks Nobody Is Looking". The report includes hundreds of hidden-camera photographs and video taken from 78 gun shows in 19 states.

The report shows the two-thirds of gun sales at gun shows are through licensed vendors. The others are sold through unlicensed vendors or private gun show attendees, who do not have to do background checks or file any paperwork. The study state that 85% of recovered crime guns have gone through at least one private party transaction following their initial sale by a licensed retailer.

Hidden camera pictures in the report show dozens of private party or unlicensed gun purchases where no identification is requested or shown.

"Illegal transactions were often conducted entirely out in the open," said Garen Wintemute, professor of emergency medicine at UC Davis School of Medicine and a leading researcher on firearm violence who authored the report. "The sense of impunity among sellers and purchasers in these cases was remarkable."

The study also links gun shows to the neo-Confederacy movement and neo-Nazism.

"Undocumented private party gun sale transactions account for as many as 40 percent of all gun sales," said Wintemute. "They are quick and convenient, and their anonymity attracts those who put privacy at a premium. These same attributes make private-party gun sales a principal option for a felon or other prohibited person."

Wintemute also says more needs to be done to prevent these unregulated and illegal gun sales at gun shows.

"Law enforcement needs to have an expanded, proactive program at gun shows to prevent the illegal sale of guns," said Wintemute. "We also need to update existing laws so that all private-party gun sales, not just those at gun shows, are subject to the same safeguards now in place for gun purchases from licensed dealers."

The entire report can be found at www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/vprp/
    Last edited by GunLawyer001; September 15th, 2009 at 11:59 AM.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by kindred_spirits View Post
    http://cbs13.com/crime/gun.shows.crime.2.1159216.html

Don't most states require background checks and transfers for private sales? Sounds like anti-gun propaganda to me.

And is it me, or did she just contradict herself at the end of the video?
    No, most states do not control the private transfer of firearms.

It is propaganda though because it was prepared by an anti-gun group.. ...of course the outcome is going to be bad.

The US Dept Justice's report is quite different and unbiased.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast