Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Angry Bad day at SGL183!!!!

Last Sunday I took my nephew, his girlfriend and her little boy to the range at rt 6. he is a NYPD cop, she is afraid of guns and the little guy was just thrilled to be there. Anyway about 20 rounds each into our day a group of 6 or 7 other "shooters" arrive ands before we know it one of them is sending a full magazine downrange, the leader of the group is trying to get him to stop and listen (but he wont until the mag is empty). the little hairs on my neck are starting to stand up at t this point and finally the leader (my term, FWIW) gets control and he is showing the rest of them some safety rules. Next he brings a young woman tot he firing line and tries to coach her on what to do. She finally manages to get a shotr off downrange and is sooo happy she spins around to get the praise she thought she deserved with a loaded 9mm and her finger on the trigger. That sure got attention!, anyway that was the point of "get the hell out of there" I quickly packed up our stuff and told my group to lets go. This group of 6 or 7 had no idea about safety, etiquette or anything of comon sense about them. I only hope after we left that no one shot anyone. Too dangerous, Too STUPID!!, Just me venting about idiots and blowing off some steam.
    hgsw67

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Bad day at SGL183!!!!

Wow ... idiots. This is similar to the post in the carry section about some guy standing in front of the firing line at a range blasting full auto with a Thompson. Its gun "owners" (notice quotes) like this that give the rest of us a bad name..

EDIT: It was actually the General thread, and semi-auto. Point remains. Is this REALLY appropriate?

(Allegheny County)

Glad you got out of there safely.
    I kind of feel bad for the guy that was trying to instill some safety. Bet it is the last time he goes shooting with that crowd.
    Koli's back from Ambler.

(Westmoreland County)

Geez, yeah...time to leave when shit like that goes down!

Two reasons why I don't shoot at SGL's...

1. Too many restrictions!

2. Too many unsafe people!

(Wayne County)

Yet another horror story from SGL 183. It's summer....almost every NY'er from LI has a summer home up here. They're buying ammo and just firing away. They don't care about the regulars. I'd suggest going early 9-11 before the nuts arrive. Luckily the range is closing in a few weeks for the lead reclamation so they'll be stuck. There's just too many reckless shooters @ that range.

"I Am Become Death" - J. Robert Oppenheimer

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    Geez, yeah...time to leave when shit like that goes down!

Two reasons why I don't shoot at SGL's...

1. Too many restrictions!

2. Too many unsafe people!
    Agreed. I've never heard anything but horror stories about the SGL ranges. IMHO, the $50/year or so for a club membership is WELL worth the price of admission. You'll be shooting somewhere that's safe, and if a member that's new to guns shows up, there's usually people there that can help, or an RO that can lay down the law if need be.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Luzerne County)

I am glad you got out of there safely!!! I feal bad for your nephew who was trying to teach his girlfreind and kid about guns. Hard to teach them that thay can be fun and you have to respect them and handle them with care and SAFELY!!!!!! when someting like that happens. This is why I am glad I have my own place to shoot becouse,I do not have to deal with idiot's with guns. better luck next time, Joe

(York County)

That's why I belong to a club. Keeps the riff-raff out.
    " The Seeds of Oppression Will One Day Bear The Fruit of Rebellion."

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    Agreed. I've never heard anything but horror stories about the SGL ranges.
    I have 0 SGL horror stories in all the times that I've went. I imagine people are not so compelled to share what they felt was a decent SGL trip and may only provide stories of exceptional trips.

(Allegheny County)

i have to say that i have seen some scary stuff at SGL ranges, as well...including people firing rounds while there are still other people down range.

i much prefer a good private club.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast