Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Stoeger Coach gun to SBS questions

I was handling a Stoeger Coach gun in 20 gauge and was thinking it would make an awesome short barreled shotgun.

I have a suppressor so I am familar with the ATF form 4, but for this I know I need to submit an ATF form 1 and when I get it back approved I can go ahead with making it into a SBS.

So here are my questions...

1) Is it ok if I won't be the one actually cutting it down, in other words manufacturing it? I would like to have a gunsmith do a professional job.

2) Do I need to have it engraved as soon as I get the approved form 1 back? Or can it wait until I actually have it made into a SBS?

3) Has anyone here done this or known anyone who has with this particular style shotgun? Are there any other do's or don't's you can think of, what worked and what didn't?

I searched but didn't find much on making a SBS, please let me know if any of these questions have been answered.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Stoeger Coach gun to SBS questions

1) Is it ok if I won't be the one actually cutting it down, in other words manufacturing it? I would like to have a gunsmith do a professional job.

*** Yes, thats fine, and probably suggested***

2) Do I need to have it engraved as soon as I get the approved form 1 back? Or can it wait until I actually have it made into a SBS?

***Yes, you are supposed to get the markings on as soon as the form is returned to you, and is in your posession. You can have it marked while you are waiting on the F1 approval however, best to do it then.***
    see engraving requirements here:
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/nfa-class...tml#post132286

3) Has anyone here done this or known anyone who has with this particular style shotgun? Are there any other do's or don't's you can think of, what worked and what didn't?

*** I havent done this myself, but I have seen several, and fired a couple that have been done. Chop the barrels( make ure the gunsmith fills/joins the barrels at the muzzle, most arent full length joined), engrave, and most people "birdshead" the buttstock off into a pistolgrip carefully, and also cut down the forearm a litle bit to get a shorter barrel set.***

heres a thread about one on THR...and a pic, guy shows and describes what he did in detail...it looks pretty sweet.

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=213031

"Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Erie County)

Those always looks so sweet! I saw one for sale in a shop in Tombstone years ago.

So if one had a coachgun already, a spare $200 for a stamp, the means to get it modified and the ability to pass the background check they too could have one of these beauties?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteJack View Post
    Those always looks so sweet! I saw one for sale in a shop in Tombstone years ago.

So if one had a coachgun already, a spare $200 for a stamp, the means to get it modified and the ability to pass the background check they too could have one of these beauties?
    absolutely.

refer to the sticky at the top of the main forum on "how to make and or acquire nFA items in PA".
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    absolutely.

refer to the sticky at the top of the main forum on "how to make and or acquire nFA items in PA".
    i have a pdf file of the form i can email you if you want, let me know...

Im doing this to a Savage Fox come new years.

or just gona spring for an AOW 870

Is there anyone in PA that can engrave AR lowers?

I've done all the other engraving on my other NFA stuff myself but no luck on my sbr AR , a few places that actually specialize in it are so back logged it's insane.