Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Starter Rifle

Default Starter Rifle

I recently purchased my first firearm (handgun) and now would like to purchase a rifle. Do you know of any quality "starter rifles". If you could add a link that would be helpful. Thanks.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Starter Rifle

Need more info about what you are going to use it for (target, hunting, plinking, etc.). Where you're going to use it (indoor range, outdoor range, in the woods, etc.). How much do you want to spend?

That said, I would start with a good reliable .22 (most are). I like the Ruger 10/22 as a semi auto, CZ makes a good bolt action, Henry makes a good lever action. Most of the major manufactures make good reliable .22's.

After learning the basics and such, then you can jump up to a larger centerfire if you wish, again depending on what you want to do with it.

You can't ever beat a good .22. Fun, easy to learn to shoot, ammo is inexpensive and you can spend anywhere from $150 (or less sometimes if you watch the classifieds) to over $2000.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Chester County)

+1 for what Xring said. You can't beat a good .22 for just plain old fun. Cheap and easy to shoot.

The Ruger 10/22 has so many aftermarket parts available, that you can custom tailor it for whatever you want it to do. Plinking, target, hunting, tacticool...

anyway...

Oh.. Savage .22 rifles with the accu-trigger are excellent too.
    Μολὼν λάβε

Hokkmike Guest

Hard to answer without knowing what you will use it for.

Plinking = Henry .22 lever action or a cheap bolt action with a 4X scope.

http://www.henryrepeating.com/

Hunting = Savage bolt action in any well known caliber. I recommend the middle, a 7mm-08.

http://www.savagearms.com/

(Allegheny County)

I would get a bolt .22. It is easy to clean and use, legal for hunting, and a bolt will help you develop rifle skills. You will always want a .22 because its so cheap to shoot, so you can get a cheaper one now and down the road get another, or you could get a decent one now and keep it forever.

I'd go with a bolt action 22 of your choice. 22lr ammo is cheap, you can get a box of 550 for about 12 bucks. Go to a shop and see what they have. I really like my Marlin, a model 883. I believe the lr version is a 880 or 980, depending on year of manufacture. Marlin makes a good gun for cheap.

You could go with a semi-auto, but in 22 they're not as reliable as a centerfire. If you do go with a semi, I'd have to say go with a ruger 10/22. Very affordable, and its the one I see with the least amount of jams out of the box. Plus, you can mod it like a mo fo, if you get into that
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

(Berks County)

If you are going to use it for hunting I would agree with Hokkmike and get a Savage in 7mm-08. It is a good middle of the road caliber. Great for Deer and for Black bear, Ammo can be expensive so it would be to your benefit to reload. If you want a varmit rifle then go with one of the 22 calibers such as .223 remington.

Savage makes a great rifle and they are inexpensive. I payed around 450.00 for mine. The accu-trigger is great to fine tune the trigger to the way you want.
    The truth shall set you free.

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands

I can not wait until NJ sinks in the ocean and PA has ocean front property

Is there a big difference between .22LR and .22 Magnum?

(Centre County)

Yes, most definitely. One, the cost is a great deal more, the 22 mag is more powerful, it WILL NOT fit into a regular 22, the case is much longer. A typical 22 (bolt, pump, lever or single shot) is pretty versatile in that it will shoot 22 short, long, long rifle and the higher power/speed 22 LR's. A good bolt action 22 will last a lifetime with the proper care and is always a lot of fun to shoot. That's one thing I look for in any gun, it is fun to shoot. If the gun punishes you every time you shoot it (recoil, muzzle blast, etc.) then you will not shoot it much, which means you won't get as proficient with it as you should and you've wasted your money if you don't shoot it.

Most important, IMHO, buy something that you will use and have fun with every time you take it out. I love grabbing the 22 (either the rifle or the handgun, maybe even both) on a weekend and just go shoot some cans or targets or varmints just to get outside, have fun and relax.

Actually the AR15 is like that too, lots of fun to shoot but the ammo costs a lot more but the gun is a blast it shoot. Only thing is that you can't hunt with it.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Can you hunt small game with a semi-auto rifle. I'm not sure about hunting laws and all that good stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast