Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default I got Pulled over today while carrying concealed and other, my experience

I have read a few of these on here and found the stories to be quite interesting, ironically today I had my own story here is what happened.....

Well I had made a deal with a fellow forum member to buy a gun off of me and was to meet them at the new Kings Supply in KOP at 1:00 PM so I got his firearm all nice and pretty packed it in my car, along with his gun I was carrying my new M&P shield 9mm in an IWB holster at 4:00 waist and a spare mag on the other side loaded with Winchester Ranger T. Also the Shield was loaded and chambered. I also brought my XDM 3.8 45 ACP just to get it reappraised. I had about 2 boxes of .380 ammo and about 2 mags loaded with the .45 one with HST and another with Winchester Ranger T, Wifey was making me run a tad late and on top of this I needed my daily fix, a monster energy drink, so in route to meet John Doe I stopped at WaWa off of rt 29, quickly ran in and out then sent John Doe a text saying I was running 15 minutes late and I'd see him soon. So I hopped back on 202 N and started to speed to my destination. I knew I was going fast but it wasn't like I was doing anything absolutely crazy and then ahead of me I noticed a Copper in a SUV so I did the norm and hit the breaks, as I'm doing this I look in my rear view and see a undercover dodge charger, as soon as I looked back the lights went on. I really did not panic I knew I was speeding and tickets stink but, I was doing it so I felt like it was what it was.

I was in the far left lane and took my time to weave in and out of cars to the very right hand shoulder to where I knew the officer would be safe and so would I. I've seen to many videos of cars getting romped because of someone not pulling over in a safe fashion. So stationary in my car I did the norm, turned my car off and threw on my blinkers went to the glove and got my insurance and registration out and waited but I did put my window down. It's funny though I was not that nervous, I am a novice gun enthusiast, well an aspiring one as of a year ago, but since I bought my first handgun I had played this conversation over and over in my head million times, but I've never been put to the test so I really had no concrete idea on how I was about to act. As I saw the officer getting out of his car and approach mine I nonchalantly let my arms hand out the window as he approached me, before he could get a word out I said " Sir I feel that I have an obligation to tell you that I have handgun legally owned by me and have my LTCF, the gun is on my right hip and is loaded and chambered, I just want to tell you this for your protection and my own" he looked at me wide eyed and again before he could say anything in told him that I had 2 other firearms in the car and and that they were also legally owned and registered to me, I said that I was late to a meeting with a buyer for one of the firearms and that the other was just being appraised.

He was a younger officer prob my age and the look on his face was even more priceless by this time, I mean I had a small little arsenal in my car. The first word that came out of his mouth were, holy shit man Koodos, that was textbook and I totally appreciate your honesty. He then asked me for my LTCF and drivers license, after which he said I swear I am NOT arresting you or anything close for my protection and yours can you step out of your car walk backwards and place your hands on the trunk but again you not being arrested. He even asked if he had my permission to disarm the firearm and I granted permission. He then asked me to go wait In my car and that he would be back in a few. About 10 minutes later he came back to me and asked if everyone of the firearms was indeed mine and registered to me, to which I am positive they are. Turns out the brand new M&p shield that I had bought was not updated in the system. Luckily for me I am very organized about my gun paperwork and keep it separated but in order in different corresponding envelopes, example, Shield envelope = all receipts, bill of Sale , Kings shooters Supply paperwork transfer etc. I usually do not carry this with me when I leave the house but for so e reason I thought I may need it today and most certainly did. So I gave him the envelope and before he asked, I again have him permission/ consent to look through it. He told me he would be right back again.

When he came back he confirmed that I am the rightful owner of the firearm and that he apologizes for the mix up. He gave me my guns back loaded and the asked do you know why I stopped you and I smirked and said yeah I know, he said yeah you were doing 82 in a 55. But he said he too would not like to wait for a person to show up late when he was about to buy s gun. So with that and how truthful I was he let me go with a verbal warning just to slow Down.

After that he and I started to talk about guns and how much he liked my competition ready XDM. He ended up shooting IDPA, so we chatted for a bit and I told him about my range having matches in the Spring summer and it was open to public as long as you belong to the IDPA association. We ended it by a hand shake and an exchange of first names and that was it.

Now I know some of you prob think I gave to much freedom to him and I'm aware of this but being My first experience with something of this nature I think it turned out pretty damn well, so many what ifs could have changed the entire situation , for example what if I did not have my records of the M&P transfer on me? Etc.... Anyway I'm thankful that many LEO are still on our side and it does give me hope... Anyway I ended up meeting John Doe making the transfer and on top of it all I walked out of Kings Supply with a brand new Remington 870 tactical that they had jut gotten in a day earlier.... So I must say it was a good day and I am thankful for it. I've heard some pretty bad horror stories bout getting pulled over while carrying.

Thank you everybody and this forum for giving me the opportunity to share my story and I hope that it reached some people. God bless and be careful, most of all don't speed on rt 202....
    check out my Photo page: http://www.facebook.com/Blak1508

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: I got Pulled over today while carrying concealed and other, my experience

Wow a warning for an 82 in a 55, lucky, that would've been 4 points I believe. Also, this should be interesting.

I got a speeding ticket with my AR-15 on my backseat, but I stood up for my rights.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: I got Pulled over today while carrying concealed and other, my experience

Good job handling it now you felt most comfortable, there's going to be 4 pages tomorrow of Monday morning quarterbacks telling you what you did was wrong, and how you never tell cops your carrying, and should have to do this, and he shouldn't have asked you that. I think the encounter sounded pretty good, the only part I'd have an issue with is him disarming me, I HATE when someone else touches my guns (unless I hand it to then)
    "you cant fight zombies with good intentions"

My Feedback:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/98731-cmr076.html

I once was pulled over and the cop asked me if my wife was wearing under wear. I told him no and we both chuckled. He politely asked if he could take a picture of her, I let him. We talked about under wear and he let me off with a warning. Overall, nice guy, good encounter.

(Berks County)

Kudos to you for handling it well. I too have played this scenerio in my head a million times and what I am going to do. I feel that it is my place to tell the officer I am CC or there are guns in the vehicle as I can understand that they never really know what kind of situation they are walking up into.

(Mercer County)

Did he wear a condom and tip you well?
    There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by EandGWZ View Post
    I once was pulled over and the cop asked me if my wife was wearing under wear. I told him no and we both chuckled. He politely asked if he could take a picture of her, I let him. We talked about under wear and he let me off with a warning. Overall, nice guy, good encounter.
    Awesome right there

(Mercer County)

I just don't get why you felt the need to tell the cop that you have a gun.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by RuthlessZ View Post

Wow a warning for an 82 in a 55, lucky, that would've been 4 points I believe. Also, this should be interesting.

I got a speeding ticket with my AR-15 on my backseat, but I stood up for my rights.

I don't really care any more.
    'But it was a good stop".

A few years ago I was stopped twice within a month. First time was 88 in a 55 zone. he never asked about a gun even though I have a zrt and a 1911 inside sticker displayed in the back window. He noticed a medicine bottle in the glove box and asked what it was. I told him Tylenol. he said ok.

He wrote it up as 65 in a 55 zone.

Second time i was doing 78 in a 55 zone with fines doubled.

This cop never asked if I was armed. But he did ask about the zrt sticker. We talked about guns for a few minutes.

He wrote the ticket up as not obeying signage.

I these would be the definition of a good traffic stop.

I broke the law. They caught me. Gave me a break. I paid the fine.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Bucks County)

Thumbs down Re: I got Pulled over today while carrying concealed and other, my experience

Absolutely loaded with "fail". Did you also confess to picking your nose and eating boogers when you were a child? How graphic were you when you got to the part where you found Dad's girlie magazine's and used them to , you know, rub one out, when you were a teenager?

Seriously folks, it's a cop doing his job, it's not Father O'leary desperately trying to keep you out of Hell! You don't have to confess. It's called the "Right to remain silent" for a reason.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast