Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Schuylkill County)

Default New PA "resident" questions

Hi guys I figured I would ask a few questions to clear the air for myself and potentially other people. I just moved here from NJ and am looking to purchase a firearm (particularly a handgun) I've been living here since August as a student. I currently have a lease with an apartment and pay bills blah blah blah all in the state on Pennsylvania. As of now I have a clean NJ drivers license and record. Now because I'm living here and have residency here does this qualify me as a resident in the eyes of the almighty gun shops? If I get a NJ firearms ID card will this allow me to purchase a firearm in PA? The only reason I want to buy a gun here is because NJ is just an absolute nightmare to deal with with paperwork and waiting and the fact they aren't to keen on the whole open carry thing. Also I know of friends in PA that would sell me a rifle and I know private sale of long guns doesn't have to be documented with the state so if I purchase one of his rifles will that work out? Any help is much appreciated, Thanks!

(Northampton County)

Default Re: New PA "resident" questions

Why don't you have a PA drivers license? That is what you need to buy a gun from a LGS.

Welcome to America.
    Last edited by jerryg; January 29th, 2013 at 12:24 AM. Reason: forgot
    National Handgun Reciprocity
    End Gun Free Zones
    Fast & Furious show us the documents

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bdk184 View Post
    Hi guys I figured I would ask a few questions to clear the air for myself and potentially other people. I just moved here from NJ and am looking to purchase a firearm (particularly a handgun) I've been living here since August as a student. I currently have a lease with an apartment and pay bills blah blah blah all in the state on Pennsylvania. As of now I have a clean NJ drivers license and record. Now because I'm living here and have residency here does this qualify me as a resident in the eyes of the almighty gun shops? If I get a NJ firearms ID card will this allow me to purchase a firearm in PA? The only reason I want to buy a gun here is because NJ is just an absolute nightmare to deal with with paperwork and waiting and the fact they aren't to keen on the whole open carry thing. Also I know of friends in PA that would sell me a rifle and I know private sale of long guns doesn't have to be documented with the state so if I purchase one of his rifles will that work out? Any help is much appreciated, Thanks!

It qualifies you as far as the ATF is concerned. See Page 126 (as printed on the page) Column 3 "Meaning of Terms" here.

Your problem will be finding a FFL that knows the law.

(Monroe County)

Put the nightmare behind you, get a Pa driver's license and get it over with and take advantage of the less expensive insurance rates while you at it.
    Put the police state behind you for good, you can always slip behind the iron curtain to visit mom and dad (unarmed ofcourse) .

With your NJ FID card you CAN purchase long arms in PA but not Handguns.

NO Pa gunstore will sell you a handgun without a Pa drivers license.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Put the nightmare behind you, get a Pa driver's license and get it over with and take advantage of the less expensive insurance rates while you at it.
    Put the police state behind you for good, you can always slip behind the iron curtain to visit mom and dad (unarmed ofcourse) .

With your NJ FID card you CAN purchase long arms in PA but not Handguns.

NO Pa gunstore will sell you a handgun without a Pa drivers license.
    Now if I do transfer my license to a PA license and do end up moving back to NJ at some point how will the gun transfer work if I do own a handgun(s)? Will I have to get an NJ FID with the guns declared on it? Or how would it work?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Bdk184 View Post
    Now if I do transfer my license to a PA license and do end up moving back to NJ at some point how will the gun transfer work if I do own a handgun(s)? Will I have to get an NJ FID with the guns declared on it? Or how would it work?
    It is a one way ticket, you can go visit, but you can't move back. If you do then you have to give me your guns. just kidding

If you move back to NJ they will know you have mental issues.
    National Handgun Reciprocity
    End Gun Free Zones
    Fast & Furious show us the documents