Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Police barred from Vermont gun range over proposed semi-automatic rifle ban

It's nice to see some people are starting to stand up to the .gov. Decisions have consequences and will effect how the cops train, so hopefully the cops put some pressure on the lawmakers to get their heads out of their asses.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013...est=latestnews

The battle over the right to bear arms is flaring in Vermont, where a local gun range has moved to prohibit the Burlington Police Department from training at its facilities after the City Council voted to advance a measure banning semi-automatic rifles and large-capacity magazines.

The leadership of the Lamoille Valley Fish and Game Club explained that it's "difficult" for the club to support the city -- even its officers -- given the actions of the council.

"We have members in Burlington as well as members of our club that are going to be passing through Burlington and this would directly affect them and we felt that a prejudicial vote like that was going to be non-supportive of our club and being non-supportive of our club makes it very difficult to support Burlington City," said Bob Boivin, chairman of the Lamoille Valley Fish and Game Club.

"It is a constitutional issue. I mean, it's not just a Second Amendment constitutional issue; but it's also a constitutional issue for Vermont. We have laws that have the state governing our gun controls in this area and they're looking to supersede those," he said.

The group's ban will affect how and when officers train in the state, where such facilities are limited.

In response, the Burlington Police Department released a statement saying: "It is unfortunate that this important and much-needed community dialogue regarding gun control currently under way in the City of Burlington and across the nation has resulted in this action."

The city government is defending the measure.

"In the absence of federal legislation or state law we feel it has come upon us as a city to take the measures we feel are necessary to protect our citizens," Burlington City Councilman Norman Blais said.

"Ultimately, I don't think that the best way to assert control over guns is at the local level," conceded Joan Shannon, president of the Burlington City Council. "But here in Burlington, I think we felt the need to act because we didn't see action coming from either the state level or the federal level."

Boivin argues city-by-city gun rules would create a multitude of challenges.

"If you're going to a shoot, say in one end of Vermont to the other, you have to check the laws for every town in between, and you will pass through a half a dozen different towns, and that makes it almost impossible for someone to stay as a legal gun owner, and that's what we're concerned about," he said.

Shannon said the council's action are only a first step toward better protecting the people of the city, "but this at least gets the discussion started and often times we have found in Burlington that we lead the way and others will follow, and I think that that's the intention here."

The Burlington City Council's proposal to ban certain assault weapons is far from being implemented. City voters would get a say in 2014. Then the measure would require approval by the Vermont legislature. Finally, if it does become law, it's likely to face a constitutional challenge from gun-rights advocates.

Default Re: Police barred from Vermont gun range over proposed semi-automatic rifle ban

"If you're going to a shoot, say in one end of Vermont to the other, you have to check the laws for every town in between, and you will pass through a half a dozen different towns, and that makes it almost impossible for someone to stay as a legal gun owner, and that's what we're concerned about," he said.
    Just like it has in NY because of this exact same thing.

Good for the guys at this range. I wish everybody would take this stance in areas where they are trying to do this nonsense.

(Chester County)

Default Re: Police barred from Vermont gun range over proposed semi-automatic rifle ban

The range should offer a "virtual membership" to show support. I would join and give them a couple bucks for taking a stand..

(Chester County)

The sucky side of this is that we are learning that many cops are in support of the 2nd and opposing government. While I agree with this stand from the club it sucks the cops have to pay the price for an overzealous local government.
    Jimmy cracked corn and HE didn't care! Why should I?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by dunno View Post
    The sucky side of this is that we are learning that many cops are in support of the 2nd and opposing government. While I agree with this stand from the club it sucks the cops have to pay the price for an overzealous local government.
    Individual opinions do not matter to an organization that serves the state through violence. Do not for a second confuse the occasional individuals within organizations that have specific opinions that may align with yours. The sole purpose of the Police is to use violence if necessary to impose the will of the state. In short, the cops are an extension of the government and their interests are the same.

I often read posts on pro-gun fora and blogs assuming that the majority of firearms enthusiasts are also police supporters. Full discolsure, my Father is currently a police officer... and it does not impact my opinion on the police one bit. The police are not your friend, they are an extension of the state and have the power to commit acts of violence under the color of law. The police and the people should not be "cozy" they should be wary of one another with the people being more wary and the police more sensitive and concerned.

I support the actions of the mentioned range, they have every right to let whom they wish on their property. I am also sure that the police they are turning away also equate to a noticeable amount of revenue as well. This move sends a message to the local government, they want a training area locally... go buy one (which is hard to do, no municipality has more money than what they know what to do with in the NE part of the US) or pay for the travel to the next closest one.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Chester County)

Point taken!

(Philadelphia County)

Like Obama wants to use the police to pressure Congress to get his reforms passed, we can also do the same to keep the status quo. The police just have to be willing to stand up for what is right.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeinPhilly View Post
    Like Obama wants to use the police to pressure Congress to get his reforms passed, we can also do the same to keep the status quo. The police just have to be willing to stand up for what is right.

It doesn't mean they will and he is hand chosen the ones he THINK will play ball. Believe me his list of cops has been very well vetted to his cause. I bet he didn't pick any of the sheriffs who oppose him for his little project.

(Lancaster County)

It doesn't mean they will and he is hand chosen the ones he THINK will play ball. Believe me his list of cops has been very well vetted to his cause. I bet he didn't pick any of the sheriffs who oppose him for his little project.
    ^^^^^THIS^^^^^

(Franklin County)

The gun club should take it a step further and rescend memberships of any LEOs that belong to the club just to run the point home on a more personal level.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast