Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Monovision Shooting Glasses

I recently had my biennial eye exam and decided that I would purchase a pair of changeable lens shooting glasses with an Rx insert. My ophthalmologist also has an optometry practice and, since they sell Wiley X, I went with a pair of Saber Advanced glasses. I am nearsighted and 60 years old so I have that age old problem, I can focus near, (without glasses I can read 8 point type) or far, but not both with the same lens. Enter the concept of monovision. I am right handed and right eye dominant so I had an insert made that focuses on the front sight of my pistol with my right eye while the left lens is distance focused. I have heard the brain corrects and was willing to invest a few bucks to find out. Short answer: it works. Almost immediately I could see pretty well, the aggregate image isn't razor sharp but it's pretty darn good.

I tried the monovision at the range this weekend. My results in a 90 minute session were very encouraging. First, self disclosure: I close my non-dominant eye when shooting pistol and rifle (I know, I know, I am working on that). The both eyes open approach is working pretty well but at this stage I still do better "squinting" my non-dominant eye. By the end of the session there was a hole where once was a bullseye. I know if I work at it it will get better. Bottom line: monovision is working pretty well for me.

Random Thoughts:
    I had an insert made with distance focus in both lenses for rifle and shotgun. The insert is easy changed, as are the outer lenses.
    I had been shooting all firearms with both lenses set for distance, the monovision is better for pistol, the front sight is very crisp.
    I find firearm friendly folks all over. My ophthalmologist was interested and really excellent about working up the right prescription for shooting. The optometrist was very cool, he wants feedback on the monovision since a number of their patients are shooters. (for the record, the practice is Pediatric and Adult Vision Care in Wexford, PA, I have been a patient for about 10 years, GREAT practice, really nice people, highly recommended).
    Ask the Optometrist to record your Pupillary Distance on the prescription, it is needed for the Rx inserts.

Finally, I have always worn safety glasses while shooting, primarily for protection and the fact that I couldn't see the target without them. I feel safer with the Wiley X, better coverage, IMHO better protection. Oh yeah, the Wiley X look WAY cooler than any safety glasses (not that anyone thinks a 60 year old can, in any way, be cool).

(York County)

Default Re: Monovision Shooting Glasses

Never thought about monovision glasses but for me the one eye contact approach works. Because I don't want the hassle of carrying around reading glasses during the day (I'll use them at home at night) I wear a contact in my left/non-dominant eye for reading and use my right/dominant eye for distance.

I thought about Lasik a few years back when I was still in my forties and my ophthalmologist suggested the one contact approach as Lasik evidently doesn't last long in older eyes. When I first tried this approach it was like I was looking through a film. After a few days though my brain eliminated that and I experienced clear vision in both eyes transitioning from reading to distance viewing.

Wileys are great protective eyewear -- just bought another pair for when I ride my Triumph.