Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default need answer fast about traveling from ohio to mid pa with handgun

Hello everybody. I have a ohio CCW permit and know it is not recognized in pa. My question is-- I will be coming from ohio into pa (claysburg) friday the 28th to pick up some machinery and need to know if before i get into pa if i unload my gun and lock it in a case with the magazine in the glovebox (pickup truck so locked gun will be under seat in locked case) will i be ok if i am stopped?. If stopped should i notify them i have a locked gun under the seat and have an ohio ccw permit? Also where to apply for a pa non resident permit for the future?. Thanks guys

(Blair County)

Default Re: need answer fast about traveling from ohio to mid pa with handgun

As long as you have the mag out of your pistol and in a different container you should be good to go IIRC

If I've steered ya wrong one of the more legal eagle types will be by momentarily
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

(Luzerne County)

Here are the relavent points as they pertain to you.

1) Pennsylvania recognizes ALL other states permits for the purpose of carry in a vehicle. Open or concealed. (ref: 18PASC §6106 (b)(11)
    2) PA does not recognize OH permit for concealed carry outside your vehicle.
    3) No permit needed to open carry in PA while on foot (Philadelphia is the exception - need license)

So, your good to go as far as keeping it in your vehicle. Loaded or unloaded, carried or stored.

If you get out of your vehicle leave the gun in the vehicle or carry it openly.

HTH!
    Last edited by Pa. Patriot; March 27th, 2008 at 02:44 PM.

Ok so as long as i am in the truck ( will be a rental with the agreement with me so does that make any difference in CCW carry in PA)?, and in pa i am legal as i am in ohio right?. If i step out of the truck it must be out in the open and be able to be seen OPEN CARRY or left in the truck correct?. I read exception # 11 and that seems to pertain to my situation. It seems they just do not want me doing concealed carry out of the truck without a pa permit. If i am stopped i will inform the cops i have a valid ohio permit and am carring concealed in the truck and asked to step out what then as i would be outside PA law protection if i step out with my gun concealed?.
    Where is the best place to apply for a PA non resident permit?. Sorry for all the questions i just dont want to get in a jackpot!

(Allegheny County)

Just please stay out of the left lane if you are only doing the speed limit.
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

(Montgomery County)

Print out a copy of the full law, just in case they don't believe you. They might not know the law themselves.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by exceltoexcel View Post
    Print out a copy of the full law, just in case they don't believe you. They might not know the law themselves.
    Soooo true!
    "Ya only need legs to kick ass baby boy" - Bartender in Feast III

Quote Originally Posted by GUNRUNNERS OF PA View Post
    Soooo true!
    Oh heck yes i always cover my bases. I am going to also apply for the pa non resident permit thru the center county sheriff's office and hopefully they have a good percentage of approvals. I hope with the PA NR it will also cover the states PA has agreements with just like their resident permit does
    Last edited by buzzbomb; March 27th, 2008 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzbomb View Post
    Ok so as long as i am in the truck ( will be a rental with the agreement with me so does that make any difference in CCW carry in PA)?, and in pa i am legal as i am in ohio right?. If i step out of the truck it must be out in the open and be able to be seen OPEN CARRY or left in the truck correct?. I read exception # 11 and that seems to pertain to my situation. It seems they just do not want me doing concealed carry out of the truck without a pa permit. If i am stopped i will inform the cops i have a valid ohio permit and am carring concealed in the truck and asked to step out what then as i would be outside PA law protection if i step out with my gun concealed?.
    Where is the best place to apply for a PA non resident permit?. Sorry for all the questions i just dont want to get in a jackpot!
    If I were you I would print out the link from Pa Patriot if you plan to conceal in your vehicle. I don't necessarily trust LEO's to be versed on the law. Personally I would refrain from informing a leo with regard to carrying. You don’t need to do so in Pa, and since you’re carrying under an exemption why cause any unnecessary trouble for yourself.

If you plan to open carry you should also print and carry this: http://www.pafoa.org/forum/concealed...carry-you.html

Also non-res Pa permits are easy if you have a resident OH.
    All county sheriff’s are suppose to issue them , but some will not.
    The Centre county sheriff is famous for being easy going and issuing within the law.
    I think he’ll do it by mail as well.

http://www.pafoa.org/counties/centre
    FUCK BIDEN

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by buzzbomb View Post
    Oh heck yes i always cover my bases. I am going to also apply for the pa non resident permit thru the center county sheriff's office and hopefully they have a good percentage of approvals. I hope with the PA NR it will also cover the states PA has agreements with just like their resident permit does
    Not that it should matter for the form (they should be standard) but Claysburg is in Blair Co not Centre Co.
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast