Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Lake City 556 once fired brass - not available

I've been looking for months for 556 once fired lake city brass, purchased my last 1K in October 2021 and it was hard to find then. Seems the market dried up as no one has this available. It didn't make sense as most cannot find primers so why are people hoarding brass? also I can buy all the 223 bullets I want so again it didn't make sense why the supply of brass dried up. Today I was searching again and hit a web site that gave me a clue.

ROBERTS AND SON BRASS IS CLOSED AS OF DECEMBER 29, 2021. WE ARE NO LONGER TAKING ORDERS DUE TO BEING OUT OF INVENTORY AND UNABLE TO BUY MORE BRASS FROM THE MILITARY BASES.
    THANK YOU FOR YOUR PAST PATRONAGE.

https://www.robertsandsonbrass.com/o...processed.html

Seems to me our current administration has made a policy change to restrict supply to the civilian market, has anyone inside information to confirm this?

(Mifflin County)

Default Re: Lake City 556 once fired brass - not available

Quote Originally Posted by Dirty Boxer View Post
    I've been looking for months for 556 once fired lake city brass, purchased my last 1K in October 2021 and it was hard to find then. Seems the market dried up as no one has this available. It didn't make sense as most cannot find primers so why are people hoarding brass? also I can buy all the 223 bullets I want so again it didn't make sense why the supply of brass dried up. Today I was searching again and hit a web site that gave me a clue.

ROBERTS AND SON BRASS IS CLOSED AS OF DECEMBER 29, 2021. WE ARE NO LONGER TAKING ORDERS DUE TO BEING OUT OF INVENTORY AND UNABLE TO BUY MORE BRASS FROM THE MILITARY BASES.

Seems to me our current administration has made a policy change to restrict supply to the civilian market, has anyone inside information to confirm this?
    I can see Brandon and company shutting it down . I think there are deals made between the Govt and the ammo companies to keep reloaders out of the loop .

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 57springer View Post
    I can see Brandon and company shutting it down . I think there are deals made between the Govt and the ammo companies to keep reloaders out of the loop .
    I doubt that there is any such deal. That democrats would rather see taxpayer money in a landfill than sell anything gun related as surplus seems like the simple straight forward reason.

Just curious why LC brass for 223? I separate all my LC out for conversion to 300bo because of it's redeeming features in becoming 300bo, but there's
    little reason to reload for 223 using LC IMHO..
    SigGendered

(Beaver County)

Military surplus has been pulled from market years ago. I used to deal in DoD brass via Govliquidation.com. I can't remember the exact date but it was gone 4 or 5 years ago. Along with alot of clothing, vehicles, and all things surplus.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by 85MikeTPI View Post
    Just curious why LC brass for 223? I separate all my LC out for conversion to 300bo because of it's redeeming features in becoming 300bo, but there's
    little reason to reload for 223 using LC IMHO..
    I use LC once fired for MK262 clone load - 77gr SMK at 2,750 FPS out of 18" barrel. LC brass handles the increased pressure better than run of the mill 223 brass.

(Chester County)

Dirty are you around 23.6gr of 8208xbr?
    Hoplophobia is funny

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by West Chester View Post
    Dirty are you around 23.6gr of 8208xbr?
    I tried 8208xbr - don't remember the weight and moved to A2520 at 25.4 it is hot but not showing pressure signs from 223 Wylde chamber JP barrel 18" with 1-8 twist. Also using a heavy crimp using Lee FC crimp die and max length to fit in AR magazine. Your mileage may vary - so approach this level with caution. I would like to use Varget for temperature stability but you just can't get enough in that little 556 case to achieve the speed. I'm using the MK262 clone load for this year's IWI gas gun challenge.

Sorry I should have mentioned why I moved from 8208xbr to A2520. With 8208xbr my SD was over 20 A2520 I get SD 5 or less..
    Last edited by Dirty Boxer; February 14th, 2022 at 09:57 AM.

I use LC once fired for MK262 clone load - 77gr SMK at 2,750 FPS out of 18" barrel. LC brass handles the increased pressure better than run of the mill 223 brass.
    I load all my 5.56 CIP in FC 223 brass and have noticed zero stress on the brass. I think that many people (like me) horde the LC for 300bo, which is why you're
    seeing the supply dwindle.. Not sure how much testing you've done, but you may want to look around at FC and PSD brass for your hot loads..
    SigGendered

(Monroe County)

Would you use once fired 262 brass?
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast