Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 6mm Rem.

(Armstrong County)

Default 6mm Rem.

I just picked up a model 700 VLS in 6mm and wanted some ideas on bullet/powder combos for whitetail. This is my first 6mm rifle so I'm into uncharted territory as far as reloading goes. Most of my rifles are either .22 or .30 caliber.

(Cambria County)

Default Re: 6mm Rem.

I use Reloder 19. Awesome velocity in this case! Good luck, hope it shoots.

http://www.alliantpowder.com/
    Every man is my superior in that I may learn from him.

(Bucks County)

Talking Re: 6mm Rem.

Hello C - M,

I get tack drivin' accuracy with factory Rem. 80gr. PSP and Speer 85gr. ... think I been using H-414 ??? been a while since I loaded some and thats in .243 Win case ... friend uses same combo in 6mm and also Rockchucker with same results.

Great long range varmint ... not that long ago guy was very competitive at 1,000yd match's with 6mm , I think one of Baers guns ... haven't been following it lately.

Never could get tack drive from Hornady ... I mean like puttin' 'em in one hole.

Good luck .. good choice.

Quote Originally Posted by CENTERMAST View Post
    I just picked up a model 700 VLS in 6mm and wanted some ideas on bullet/powder combos for whitetail. This is my first 6mm rifle so I'm into uncharted territory as far as reloading goes. Most of my rifles are either .22 or .30 caliber.
    A Hardball Game won't be won with a Softball Bat !

(Westmoreland County)

6mm Remington is the most accurate rifle I own. The load I use is 39 gr of 4064 with a 85 gr Sierra spitzer. I never shot a deer with this load but it totally blows groundhogs up.

(Armstrong County)

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try the Sierra Gameking 100gr. SBT, the Nosler 100gr. Partiition, and the Hornady 105gr. A-MAX on paper first, then move to the wet phonebooks for weight retention and penetration. I just don't have any terminal experience with this caliber and don't want problems with wounded animals suffering.