Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default I really have to laugh at how.........

..........I sometimes hear Gun Dealers whine and complain at and/or after Gun Shows because people are now calling them on their rediculous pricing by bringing up gunbroker, Buds, Midwest, or similar instantly on their smartphones and seeing how much they can get the same firearm for.

It really burns their butts that many people now can instantly research the true value of a firearm with their iPhone and are not willing to just fork over their hard-earned money like some ignorant moron for some beat-up 20 year old firearm with a like-new pricetag on it.

It's amazing how much more I am hearing/seeing this, especially late in a show when some of these a**clowns have barely sold anything. They act like the people who are on gunbroker or are online dealers are somehow undercutting their profits, or aren't making money. Hello? Anyone in there? If they had half a brain they would do the same (online selling) and make more money. Many of the gun shops I frequent in my area (even the hole in the walls) are doing just this - buying a cheap digital camera and placing the firearms online.

You selling an 8 year old Beretta 92FS Inox for $900.00? That's nice....I can get one shipped to me from online for $499.00 max. How about a worn-out Colt Delta Elite 10mm blued, for $1200.00? Yeah, uhh...no thanks.....I can get a new Fusion or even a new Delta Elite from Colt for that much. How about a Ruger SR9 for $539.00? I can get one for $419.00 at Jim Hake's in Wrightsville sometimes. Seriously.....do some of these dealers think everyone is a sucker, or are they just preying on the newbie, uninformed, schmuck that is coming through the door? Must be.......in this economy who is going to be dumb enough not to shop and compare?

Anyone else been witnessing this as of late?

- The Delta Force

(Adams County)

Default Re: I really have to laugh at how.........

They're hoping to cash in on the excitement of the gun show, and rope in the impulse buyers.

Shows of all kinds are geared towards that end, and you'll always have the table that's undercutting everyone because they're selling things at the true price. That table pisses the rest of the dealers off to no end, and can result in prices coming down throughout the show just so the dealers can break even on expenses.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Bucks County)

I stopped going to gun shows a while ago. All they have is crappy chinese optics and overpriced guns. People go to gun shows with cash, and are determined not to leave empty-handed. They will pay more than a gun is worth just so they can have it in their hands right then and there.

The only thing good at gun shows anymore is ammo cans and occasionally some cheap ammo. Oh yeah, and Ace Cases.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeltaForce View Post
    Anyone else been witnessing this as of late?
    Yup, I've noticed this over the past 2-3 years. I remember during the Clinton era, dealers at gun shows seemed more interested in making sure everyone was armed, so they were willing to cut a deal. They had the "quick nickel is better than a slow dime" mindset. These days, most look at you like they're nuts if you offer anything other than what's on the sticker.
    However, I'd say that at 80% of the shows I go to, there's one dealer who has something I want who will negotiate a nice deal.

(Lancaster County)

I don't go to gun shows to buy guns. I go to buy things that I would normally have to order and have it shipped in. With shipping costs currently getting higher and higher, I do better paying for admittance to the show and buying a slight mark up vs the online price.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Bucks County)

It's the same at all kinds of shows,not just gun shows. As a for instance, I own a few Lionel trains,not a serious collector or anything just for display under the tree at Christmas. On occasion I'll go to a model railroad/train show & it's amazing to see the variance in price, not only with the vendors at the show but also compared to how much you can pay online or at your local hobby shop. There are some excellant deals to be had but there are a lot of vendors there that are really trying to make a killing. I know used items can vary widely in price because of condition & collectablity, but i'm talking about new items with the same model numbers etc. I've seen within shows up to $150 difference in price for the identical item.
    Never go without a way to check if the deal is good or not or go for a particular item & know what it can be bought for outside of the show.
    camper & bac0nfat both have good points
    Jesus is Lord !

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by bac0nfat View Post
    People go to gun shows with cash, and are determined not to leave empty-handed. They will pay more than a gun is worth just so they can have it in their hands right then and there.
    People who go to gun shows, to find a particular model or caliber, are determent to buy......and at any price. Most people that find "the" gun that they always wanted are to afraid to shop around more and think that "their' gun will not be there anymore after shopping around.
    I lucked out on a couple of those myself because I shopped around but it is like they say.........you win some......you lose some.
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent

(Luzerne County)

There was a local show in Scranton. I had overheard one of the dealers complaining because a customer asked why he should buy cleaning supplies from the dealer, when Kmart or Walmart is selling the stuff cheaper.

Sell stuff for a good price and people will buy it.

Another member here commented on the shop I deal with. His comment went something like "that place does not know the value of the guns they are selling". He said this because the prices were and are low. But this place has three people working the counter. They all drive new cars. And when you go into the shop, there may be as many as twenty people waiting to be served.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Allegheny County)

Heck some of the shows I've been as of late you can't even get cheap ammo cans. Sorry I'm not going to pay $20 for your rusty and dented 30 cal ammo can. I can get a like new one from CTD for $8.

Gun shows are becoming just like car shows. You come to see the stuff, maybe shoot the shit, then you leave. No buying/selling at all.

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    I don't go to gun shows to buy guns. I go to buy things that I would normally have to order and have it shipped in. With shipping costs currently getting higher and higher, I do better paying for admittance to the show and buying a slight mark up vs the online price.
    yep...parachute flares...
    FJB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast