Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default Loopholes in apartment rules.

So in my lease its says I'm not allowed to have anything dangerous in my apartment. I'm wondering though, can I have my guns? I keep them here anyways, but there is no clear definition of dangerous in the lease, so I think they are fine. If not, should i get rib of my kitchen knives? sharpened pencils? scissors? cleaning chemicals? My toddler could drown in the bath tub, that's dangerous, no water? What about candles?

I'm just wondering, if there is no definition given of "dangerous items" would I have an arguable chance if they tried to get me in trouble for having guns?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Loopholes in apartment rules.

Quote Originally Posted by WolfMacabre9 View Post
    So in my lease its says I'm not allowed to have anything dangerous in my apartment. I'm wondering though, can I have my guns? I keep them here anyways, but there is no clear definition of dangerous in the lease, so I think they are fine. If not, should i get rib of my kitchen knives? sharpened pencils? scissors? cleaning chemicals? My toddler could drown in the bath tub, that's dangerous, no water? What about candles?

I'm just wondering, if there is no definition given of "dangerous items" would I have an arguable chance if they tried to get me in trouble for having guns?
    To be honest, such an ambigous description would be difficult to enforce. Unless something happens I'd simply consider it unenforceable fluff and carry on.

(Chester County)

I'd keep them in the apartment, but personally, I wouldn't OC around the complex. Granted, everyone with a similar lease is breaking it with many items, but I wouldn't give the landlord any reason to think you've got anything more dangerous than anyone else does. I know, I know, guns aren't inherently dangerous, but I'm not sure you'd want to risk your housing situation based on someone else's preconceived gun ideas.

IANAL.

Worst that could happen is that they terminate your lease and evict you (which takes some time). This is not a legal issue, meaning, they would have no grounds to charge you with were you to violate this.

Again, IANAL.

(Delaware County)

I don't think I'd follow the advice of guys who like guns on this one. I'd either ask an attorney (which I'm not) or I'd leave the guns elsewhere.

Just my non-lawyer opinion.

D

AFAIK, they'd have a hell of a time evicting you for something as mundane as owning/carrying a firearm. I OC around my complex, and yes there have apparently been a few complaints made by old women who for some reason are scared. Apparently I am menacing when I hold open the door for them with a "have a good day maam" thrown in. I had the maintenance worker at my building request that I CC, and I told him that I'll consider it depending on my comfort etc.

In your lease agreement, the definition of dangerous is up to your landlord, not you, or logic. If they feel something is dangerous, they can terminate your lease for it. If something is actually dangerous, but it doesn't upset the landlord, nothing will happen.

Solution: Invite your landlord out to the range and let him/her play with your toys.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Signmaker View Post
    In your lease agreement, the definition of dangerous is up to your landlord, not you, or logic. If they feel something is dangerous, they can terminate your lease for it. If something is actually dangerous, but it doesn't upset the landlord, nothing will happen.

Solution: Invite your landlord out to the range and let him/her play with your toys.
    I believe it is not up to the landlord. Eviction is a legal process and it would be up to a judge to define dangerous. A landlord cannot evict anyone if there is a lease. He would have to prove the tenant broke the lease and get an order of eviction.
    (not trying to step on your toes here)
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Bradford County)

Quote Originally Posted by mpan72 View Post
    I believe it is not up to the landlord. Eviction is a legal process and it would be up to a judge to define dangerous. A landlord cannot evict anyone if there is a lease. He would have to prove the tenant broke the lease and get an order of eviction.
    (not trying to step on your toes here)
    I have to agree on that one. Guns are not dangerous, chemicals are not either, it is how they are used, handled, etc that makes them dangerous. But as someone else said, Do not OC in the complex, i would also agree with that as well. Not starting a right to OC, or not to OC issue, but fact is if the landlord does not like what your doing, chances are you will have a talk with him, and possibly a lawyer as well.

Why jeopardize where u live. CC & keep Ur firearms hidden & private. Nobodies business. Just my .2 cents.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast