Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Father Died in 2005 now I have Beretta

So, my father died in Florida. His Beretta 21a was held in Florida for me by my uncle for a few years. No will, no probate, no nothing. Last month my uncle sent the gun from a Florida FFL to a PA FFL. She ran the background check and made the transfer to me. Here comes the stupid question: So, now the gun is in my name and its transferred. I don't have to be confused by all the rules in different states for transferring a firearm to family over state lines, etc? It seems obvious, but I am not positive and you guys seem like a knowledgeable crowd. Thanks for indulging the new guy.
    -Lou

(Schuylkill County)

Default Re: Father Died in 2005 now I have Beretta

Sorry for your loss.
    Welcome to the PAFOA forum

If you are your father's heir (and it would seem so if there was no will and no joint ownership like with a spouse) and you got the gun through a FFL Transfer in your state of residence. That is the legal way to do it. Congratulations on your new Beretta.
    Last edited by Coops; August 11th, 2011 at 10:48 AM.

(Jefferson County)

You have nothing to worry about. Since you had the firearm transferred through a FFL in your home state it has abided by the strictest rules of law by the federal government and by PA.

You might not have needed to use a FFL though. Since there was no will, Florida follows intestate succession. ...meaning lawful inheritances to certain kin in certain percentages. With you being the deceased's son you would have had a substantial claim on his properties. Under federal law, FL law, and PA law - you could have gone down and pickup the gun and brought it home, or received it by any lawful means of shipment - IE: shipped straight to your door by common carrier(UPS, FEDEX, etc).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by loumsmith View Post
    So, my father died in Florida. His Beretta 21a was held in Florida for me by my uncle for a few years. No will, no probate, no nothing. Last month my uncle sent the gun from a Florida FFL to a PA FFL. She ran the background check and made the transfer to me. Here comes the stupid question: So, now the gun is in my name and its transferred. I don't have to be confused by all the rules in different states for transferring a firearm to family over state lines, etc? It seems obvious, but I am not positive and you guys seem like a knowledgeable crowd. Thanks for indulging the new guy.
    -Lou
    Another thing that is worth noting... despite the PSP's practice to the contrary, there is no "in your name" when it comes to firearms in PA. There is no registration for guns here.

The process of a "transfer" is to ensure that the receiving party is not prohibited from ownership. It's not to make sure some database gets the gun transfered from one person's name to another.

Sorry for your loss, sounds like a good transfer to me.
    Go shoot that bad boy and remember your dad every time you do.
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for all the helpful responses!
    -Lou