Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Benelli Super Sport

I was looking to buy a Benelli Super Sport and I was wondering if anyone has had any good or bad experiences with the Super Sport. I'm looking to get another skeet/trap/sporting clays shotgun and the benelli sells for a little over 1600 + tax and fee's and from the information that I can find(very little) it seems to be a good pick. Any other Shotgun recommendations will be appreciated, I was looking to get an autoloader, but O/U or side by side works to. thanks,

- "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." ("General Introduction to Psychoanalysis") -- Sigmund Freud
    "I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the Atmosphere." -Thomas Jefferson.

(Allegheny County)

Thumbs up Re: Benelli Super Sport

Hey Rlsst30,

I recently bought a 28" black synthetic SuperBlackEagleII and love it. from what I know, the SuperSport would be even nicer, since the barrels are ported - I kinda wish mine were, but couldn't afford it at the time. The Comfortech stock definitely reduces felt recoil... I almost feel nothing. It's a very nice shooting shotgun, and I love it.

That said, I also have a Winchester Select Energy Sporting in 32" (depending on where you find it, $1300 - $1800 for either a mint condition used or a new one). It's an O/U, ported barrels, and very nice as well. It give a light but much more traditional-feeling recoil. Before I bought it, I did a bit of research, and at first, found a lot of negative reviews on the earlier models. But apparently Winchester fixed a lot of the problems after those earlier ones, and what's on the shelves now are fantastic. I shoot mine all the time, and it just points and feels so nicely. I can follow up shots really quickly with the ported barrles too - the muzzle hardly rises at all. And it also uses Browning's Invector Plus choke system, so it's more like a Browning shotgun than you'd think. Here is a link to a decent review of it.

So if a regular traditional 12ga recoil with no fancy padding feels like a "10", and if a Ruger 10/22 recoil feels like a "1", then the Winchester comes in at around a solid feeling "7" and the Benelli with Comfortech would be about a softer mushier feeling "5".

Both of them have treated me great, and I won't be letting either of them go. So in my opinion, you can't go wrong with the Benelli at all, but my Winchester is not leaving my collection anytime soon.

Hope this helps!
    LMcQ

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Benelli Super Sport

It helps alot, thanks for the info.... Now I can feel safer about getting a benelli super sport.... What club do you shoot at? i see your in the Pittsburgh area...
    "I like a little rebellion now and then. It is like a storm in the Atmosphere." -Thomas Jefferson.

(Bedford County)

Its hard to find a better gun for $1500 or less for serious clay games.

The Super Sport is ready out of the box, works very well with loads 1 1/8 oz or 1290+ fps 1 oz. loads. Light 1 oz loads can sometimes give problems.

They swing nice and are silky smooth to operate, and very easy to clean.

Only down side is that they recoil a little more than a gas operated gun.

I like the Sport II better myself, simply because I like wood better. But if I only had $1500 or so and was told to buy a clay gun, it would be the Super Sport or Sport II.

Also look into gas guns before you buy. The Beretta 391 sporting guns are the catz ass.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the info buckmark, I did remember seeing something about some loads not cycling for "light loads" on one of the only reviews I have read/found. The sport II does look like a nice gun, i do prefer the wood over the synthetic and it is cheaper than the super sport.... Maybe i'll get the sport II save about $220 and use it towards a mossberg 500 persuader! What else could be better than getting a new gun? getting two new guns! thanks for the info, now I just have to find a local store that has one in stock to make sure it fits right.