Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Clinton County)

Default Questions About 14.5" Complete Uppers

I want to put together an AR pistol with a 14.5" barrel to gain the most muzzle velocity possible but stay below the maximum barrel length of 15" to be covered by my LTCF (if I'm understanding the laws correctly) and I'd like to probably find a complete upper assembly to do this. The problem I'm running into is most, if not all 14.5" uppers come with the intention that the customer is adding it to a rifle lower and have a muzzle device pinned and welded to make up the extra length needed to get to >16". In order for me to keep it under 15" to be able to "conceal" it, or loaded in a vehicle/magazines in the same compartment this won't work.

My questions are this, how hard is it to remove the pinned and welded muzzle devices?

Or,

Do you know who makes 14.5" barreled complete uppers that are not pinned and welded?

Or,

Should I just build an upper the way I want it in the first place?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Questions About 14.5" Complete Uppers

Most I've seen do NOT have a muzzle device already pinned and welded. That used to be very common, since most people were building carbines/rifles, and needed to stay legal.
    Since the pistol explosion, I've seen very few "pre-pinned" barrels OR complete uppers.

I've always started out wanting to build a carbine with a 14.5, but the hassle of paying extra to have a muzzle device pinned/welded always made me scrap the idea in favor of a 16". The only 14.5"/pinned/welded barrel gun I have is my 9mm because I got a deal on a used factory welded CMMG barrel.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Clinton County)

I'll have to look again then. Gave up a little while back but I must have been looking in the wrong places for what I want here. Still toying with the idea of just picking the parts I want and piecing together what I need. I like building stuff anyway.
    μολ ν λαβέ
    What country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms!

(Allegheny County)

I know what you mean. I have found a few super-duper deals on complete uppers, but for just a little more money, I could have the EXACT handguard I want, or the EXACT muzzle device, or semi-premium BCG that I would prefer.

Faxon 5.56 barrel selection - assorted lengths - with and without pinned muzzle devices.

(Allegheny County)

Ballistic Advantage - another widely recommended manufacturer...
    https://ballisticadvantage.com/ar15-barrels/556-nato

I wouldn't worry too much about muzzle velocity. If you want a pistol build a pistol. 10.5" is fine. My SBRs and pistols are 10.5", I can't tell the differences between my 16" rifle to my 10.5" SBR.
    Also if you run a suppressor you won't wind up with a rifle that feels like holding out a brick on the end of a broomstick.

If you want to carry a 14.5" "pistol" just SBR it.
    Last edited by :-); April 4th, 2019 at 12:40 PM.

(Allegheny County)

PSA has/had 12" complete uppers. No way to know if they will be put back in rotation, but you could hit the "notify me" button.

(Allegheny County)

Aero Precision makes barrels in 10.5, 11.5, 12.5 and more
    https://www.aeroprecisionusa.com/ar1...nato-223-wylde

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by :-) View Post
    I wouldn't worry too much about muzzle velocity. If you want a pistol build a pistol. 10.5" is fine. My SBRs and pistols are 10.5", I can't tell the differences between my 16" rifle to my 10.5" SBR.
    Also if you run a suppressor you won't wind up with a rifle that feels like holding out a brick on the end of a broom stick.

If you want to carry a 14.5" "pistol" just SBR it.
    I hear ya. I already have a 10.5 though. Without getting into a barrel length debate though I really wanted to get as close to typical "rifle length ballistics" on this build without going over the magic length to keep it a firearm covered by a LTCF. Keeping it in pistol form also has its advantages vs SBR. This really isn't for "carrying" either though, I've got 7.5's for that if I really wanted to, mainly just for the ability to keep ammo in the same container to and from the range or wherever else I want to take it. Less hassles, more options.

EM, I'll check out those websites. Thanks for the links!
    μολ ν λαβέ