Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lebanon County)

Default Drinking and being a passenger... We made it back!

I'm about to head up to Boston, Mass. for a bachelor party. About ten of us are getting a 15 passenger van and traveling together. I was informed yesterday that they plan on getting a case of beer "for the trip"

When I asked if he meant they were planning on drinking while riding up he was happy to answer, "of course.. it's only a case, not like we're gonna get shitty or anything. Just keep it in McDonald's Cups, we'll be fine."

I don't drink beer anyway, I'm a hard liqueur kinda guy. But still, drinking while riding in a van!?!?!?! That's just dumb.

I told him how if we got pulled over we would all be in big trouble, and I could risk losing my LTCF. I'm pretty agitated that this might be the consensus of most of the people that this is a good idea. What should I do?

If anybody plans on saying don't go. That's gonna be tough.
    Last edited by StraussiE WousiE; September 14th, 2009 at 09:43 AM.
    Some say that his discharge is luminous.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Drinking and being a passenger...

What kind of plates does the van have?

IANAL, but it is has OMNIBUS plates I think your OK.

(Lebanon County)

well i dunno of the plates. We rent it friday. But it's gonna be ur typical ford econoline 15 pass.
    Some say that his discharge is luminous.

(Carbon County)

it's very doubtful a personal rental ala "Enterprise' will wear omnibus plates and be a limousine/bus in service. A hired service on the other hand is far more likely to have this status on a non-limo passenger van.

If the driver area was sealed from the passenger area I suppose it be unlikely to get an open container issue.

This varies state by state, but almost all of them have adopted the TEA-21 federal 'regula-suggestions' in order to suckle federal road funding. I believe TN is a state that said no thanks and open container is legal, as long as the driver is clean, and Louisiana also?

(Allegheny County)

I'm on your side, but I will say that on the way to Canada for a bach party, one of the cars in the caravan had 4 guys in it. On the way, the three not driving polished off a case. When they got to the Canadian border, the border guard actually left his booth and stuck his head in the car.

He asked if the driver was drinking, was offered a beer, and sent them on their way without a problem. I don't know HOW they pulled that off...

Yeah, I'll avoid the open container laws too...

And for bachelor parties - one word - Sundowner
    It's by Niagara Falls.

(Monroe County)

Unless it's a desinated "limo" type vehicle (tagged as such), you will be screwed if your pulled over, more than likely everyone in the van will be cited for public intox and open containers, even if the driver is NOT drinking..

IANAL...

If the driver is drinking, and your still planning on getting into this van with him,,, well then you deserves any and all problems that arise from your desicion.

I know we are not permitted to be name calling, but I feel very strongly against ANYONE who drinks and drives, or promotes such idiotic behaviour, and furthermore I believe the consensus would be the same.

I would try to talk them out of the whole drinking and driving senario, or find an alternitive method of getting yourself there without the assistance of a retard that thinks it's ok to drink and drive.

I really hope you decide to do the right thing, you seem like you have the smarts to NOT go along with this idea..

And the least of your worries should be your LTCF, you should be more concerned with an itoxicated person going 70+ mph with a 2 ton killing machine on a multiple hour drive..

Once again, i'm sorry for being so blunt, but if you lost a loved one to a Ahole drunk driver I'm sure you would feel the same..
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

Well, I say screw the man and the law. More freedom eroded and I see many buy into based on what? Stupidity? Drink all you want while not driving. Sober driver, have at it. I have never understood and will probably never understand why so many states have made it illegal for a passenger to consume alcohol in a vehicle. Doesn't compute well with my idea's of individual freedom.

Public Intox for being in a motor vehicle? Thats a new one.

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    Well, I say screw the man and the law. More freedom eroded and I see many buy into based on what? Stupidity? Drink all you want while not driving. Sober driver, have at it. I have never understood and will probably never understand why so many states have made it illegal for a passenger to consume alcohol in a vehicle. Doesn't compute well with my idea's of individual freedom.

But the law and the man will screw you back harder.

SW, my opinion, don't do it. If they are hellbent on doing it, then I would find an alternate route. There is no sense in risking your life, let alone anything else. There's a distinct line between having fun and having stupidity. You may get away with it.. but you may not.
    III%

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by incynr8 View Post
    it's very doubtful a personal rental ala "Enterprise' will wear omnibus plates and be a limousine/bus in service. A hired service on the other hand is far more likely to have this status on a non-limo passenger van.

If the driver area was sealed from the passenger area I suppose it be unlikely to get an open container issue.

Its possible to get 15 passemger vans with Obus plates. We had one for my Batchelor party and it was a blast. Dont know where it was rented from, but it wasnt much more than a huge Dodge van.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by customloaded View Post
    It's sad but true, my 60 yr old dad got a pub intox ticket in MD last month for being a passenger in a car....
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast