Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limpwristing

(Bucks County)

Default Limpwristing

How do you know if you are "limpwristing"? Meaning...if you have a misfire... how do you know if its the gun, or your wrist?

I do not *think* I am limpwristing but I guess when I take my private lesson, he will tell me for sure.... I do not have super strong wrists...however I think my hand strength in general is above average for women, and I have longer hands/fingers than a lot of women as well.

I have not had any misfires with my LC9 (and I've put about 100-150? rounds through it so far) but our Llama and Sig Mosquito have misfires, but they misfire with my husband some, too. (Getting rid of the Llama, anyhow.) My husband's Smith Sigma 9mm also has not misfired either, only I haven't shot that one but maybe a mag or two, since I'm focusing on my own weapon mostly.

So that probably means its the gun, and not the grip...? Are there certain guns that are more sensitive to strength of grip?

I've seen some sites that says you should grip the gun like you are shaking the hand of a child...but then on the other hand, that you should hold it firmly enough to where the slide has enough energy to fully cycle. So, to me, that makes no sense. haha.
    "Stupid people are ruining America." --Herman Cain

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Limpwristing

Hello,

Here is a good video of "limpwristing".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh9JhCyFFxA

To over come this you can gain more confidence with the weapon by dry firing and practice with live ammo.

Strengthen your hands and wrists by squeezing a tennis ball or raquetball.

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: Limpwristing

Quick, send a message to cruzans. a llama for sale will really get his juices flowing.

(Bucks County)

Ohhh okay. He was barely even holding the gun.

I don't think I'm as strong as his original shooting was to where the gun barely showed recoil...but I don't think I am super limp-wristy, either...esp not with two hands on the gun....

It depends on what you mean by "misfiring." Limpwristing will typically cause the gun to jam in one way or another (e.g. "stovepipe") because the frame moves back along with the slide (your hand is supposed to resist that recoil movement) and it doesn't have enough energy cycle the action properly. But if it chambers the next round but just goes "click" when you press the trigger, that's another problem. As far as the Mosquito goes, they are known to be picky about ammo (there area always exceptions). .22's in general can be picky. The cases are externally lubricated and there is a lot of variation from one brand to another. My Buckmark will eat just about anything, but I have had some misfires, especially with Remington .22. If there's a good indentation from the firing pin on the rim of the case, it's a dud.

Try different brands of ammo (CCI seems to be favored by most and I've had very good luck with it).
    Last edited by donm; January 16th, 2012 at 03:57 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cakeshooter View Post
    How do you know if you are "limpwristing"? Meaning...if you have a misfire... how do you know if its the gun, or your wrist?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

Try this video: Todd Jarrett on Pistol Shooting Its an excellent video explaining how to grip your pistol.

Some websites said you should grip like shaking the hand of the child...I'm trying to control recoil from an explosion...not introduce myself to a 2 yr old. Grip that thing!

Good luck with your training!

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by cakeshooter View Post
    I do not have super strong wrists...however I think my hand strength in general is above average for women, and I have longer hands/fingers than a lot of women as well.
    Mix the batter by hand and not with a mixer. Will build up those wrists.

"The more people I meet, the more I like my dog."

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by theo View Post
    Mix the batter by hand and not with a mixer. Will build up those wrists.

Hahaha. Well I do knead fondant and squeeze a lot of pastry bags!
    Last edited by cakeshooter; January 16th, 2012 at 04:36 PM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Palerider View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysa50-plo48

Try this video: Todd Jarrett on Pistol Shooting Its an excellent video explaining how to grip your pistol.

Some websites said you should grip like shaking the hand of the child...I'm trying to control recoil from an explosion...not introduce myself to a 2 yr old. Grip that thing!

Good luck with your training!
    I started gripping my gun like that after seeing similar things on YouTube and then I started ejecting my magazine during shooting. LOL. I gotta figure out a happy medium!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Up In Arms Designs, Inc View Post
    Hello,

Here is a good video of "limpwristing".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh9JhCyFFxA

To over come this you can gain more confidence with the weapon by dry firing and practice with live ammo.

Strengthen your hands and wrists by squeezing a tennis ball or raquetball.
    Was I the only one waiting for the person in this video to shoot himself in the face? I get the demonstration, but damn that line of fire was coming pretty damn close to an accidental headshot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast