Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Analog TV shut off - Delayed due to Obama?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,478005,00.html

WASHINGTON — President-elect Barack Obama is urging Congress to postpone the Feb. 17 switch from analog to digital television broadcasting, arguing that too many Americans who rely on analog TV sets to pick up over-the-air channels won't be ready.

In a letter to key lawmakers Thursday, Obama transition team co-chair John Podesta noted that the Commerce Department has run out of money for coupons to subsidize digital TV converter boxes for consumers.

People who don't have cable or satellite service or a new TV with a digital tuner will need the converter boxes to keep their older analog sets working.

Obama officials are also concerned that the government is not doing enough to help Americans — particularly those in rural, poor or minority communities — prepare for and navigate the transition.
    Related

"With coupons unavailable, support and education insufficient, and the most vulnerable Americans exposed, I urge you to consider a change to the legislatively mandated analog cutoff date," Podesta wrote.

In 2005, Congress required that broadcasters switch from analog to digital broadcasts, which are more efficient, to free up valuable chunks of wireless spectrum.

The newly available room in the airwaves can be used for commercial wireless services and for emergency-response networks.

Podesta's letter went to the top Democrats and Republicans on the Senate and House Commerce committees. Because Congress set the Feb. 17 date, it would have to pass a new law to postpone it.

Obama's request for a delay is a victory for Consumers Union, which had asked for a postponement of the digital TV shift.

"We are extremely pleased the incoming administration is supportive of consumer efforts to ensure that the poor, elderly and rural consumers do not face economic hardship as we move broadcasting to digital transmission," said Gene Kimmelman, the group's vice president for federal policy.

The Obama team decided to push for a delay after the National Telecommunications and Information Administration, an arm of the Commerce Department, said Monday that it had hit a $1.34 billion funding limit set by Congress to pay for converter box coupons.

The coupon program allows consumers to request up to two $40 vouchers per household to help pay for the boxes, which generally cost between $40 and $80 each and can be purchased without a coupon.

The NTIA said it had no choice but to start a waiting list for coupon requests as of Jan. 4, meaning that consumers who applied after that would be unlikely to receive their vouchers before Feb. 17. Congress would need to step in with more money or new accounting rules to get the program back on track.

In his letter, Podesta said government funding for both the coupon program and educational efforts for consumers is "woefully inadequate." He said Obama plans to include resources to help consumers through the digital transition in the economic recovery package now being developed with Congress.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Analog TV shut off - Delayed due to Obama?

If I'm doing my math correctly... based on this article they used 1,340,000,000 on vouchers for new tv boxes. If we assume every person that requested a voucher got 2 (the limit) then that means there are approx 16,750,000 households (min) that requested vouchers.

wonder how well the auditing was done on this one?
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

This begs the question of what the fuck the federal government is doing getting involved in this switch at all. Why the fuck is my tax money going to anyone so that they can watch fucking TV?

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    This begs the question of what the fuck the federal government is doing getting involved in this switch at all. Why the fuck is my tax money going to anyone so that they can watch fucking TV?
    In theory it shouldn't be our tax money... it should come out of the FCC auctions of that spectrum... but I doubt it will, more then likely the FCC will pocket all that money and the tax payers will fit the bill so people can keep watching TV

(Berks County)

The switchover to digital is a federally mandated program. That being the case the government is Constitutionally required to pay for the program. IOW the idiots decided that an idea sounded good and approved it before they thought it through. Nothing new in that.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Lancaster County)

The Government owns and regulates the airwaves and so that's why they are involved. And Obama wants the switch over to be delayed, that's because were it to happen as planned too many of the brainwashed might be unplugged from the Matrix and he would lose controll over them.
    Could you imagine the uninformed mind numbed masses having to actually think for themselves. No daily breifings from the alphabet networks... the HORROR!
    The one thing that pisses me off with this whole switch over is that my portable TV will no longer work, no more campside TV.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by OvadekP View Post
    The Government owns and regulates the airwaves and so that's why they are involved. And Obama wants the switch over to be delayed, that's because were it to happen as planned too many of the brainwashed might be unplugged from the Matrix and he would lose controll over them.
    Could you imagine the uninformed mind numbed masses having to actually think for themselves. No daily breifings from the alphabet networks... the HORROR!
    The one thing that pisses me off with this whole switch over is that my portable TV will no longer work, no more campside TV.
    I'm still trying to figure out how many fricken households don't have cable?!?!!? Over 16 Million based on the number of vouchers given out!

(Franklin County)

Nanny State...nuff said.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    I'm still trying to figure out how many fricken households don't have cable?!?!!? Over 16 Million based on the number of vouchers given out!
    I ordered the coupons just in case I wanted a tv in my reloading room. Sure I could run a cable to it, but it is in another house.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by normanvin View Post
    I ordered the coupons just in case I wanted a tv in my reloading room. Sure I could run a cable to it, but it is in another house.
    i have a feeling that is what a LOT of people did, just in case they ever want to turn their cable off.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast