Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Pike County)

Default I want to purchase this universal gun cleaning kit..

With Black Friday coming I have been creating a short list of things I wanted to order on Amazon, including Christmas gifts. One thing that I wanted to get for the longest time is a universal gun cleaning kit that has cleaning implements for all my firearms, comes organized/well labeled in a carry case and doesn't break the bank. My Hoppes kit does a good job but it's a real piecemeal setup that I added to over the years, I want to retire it to my range bag and have something more substantial at home on the workbench. Conveniently, one of the YouTube channels I subscribe to did a video on firearm maintenance and showcased a universal gun cleaning system that has me intrigued:

I couldn't find the exact product from Remington but they sell nearly the exact same kit on Amazon just with a different finish on the bag: Remington Hunting, Maintaining and Cleaning kit

It gets very good user reviews on Amazon and I really like a few aspects of the kit. First it elimates the solid cleaning rod which the video mentions could potentially wear on the rifling from the rod flexing. I have always tried to avoid cleaning my firearms too often as I feel I might be doing more harm than good, I had bore brushes give me a fair amount of resistance in the past and got a decent amount of flexing on the rod. As such I only break down and clean my firearms after 1000 rounds to avoid excess wear. Most of the times after a range trip I will just wipe down the finish and rub the exterior down with a little CLP to prevent the greases on my hands from damaging the finish. The one exception is my Mosin rifle because I fire surplus ammo that eats into the metal if left untouched. The biggest attraction to this system for me is how it seems to minimize wear greatly when cleaning.

The other thing I like about this kit is that it elimates the patches with a squeegee system. I hate patches as I always either run out of them or lose them when I need them the most. The only thing that confounds me is how you apply cleaning solution into the barrel with this system? Typically I just spray CLP into the barrel and let it drip down to the muzzle but if I feel the barrel is especially dirty I will go in with patches that have cleaning solution on them.

One thing that worries me about this system is if Remington offers brushes/squeegees for less common calibers. Say for example I want to collect 32 ACP pistols in the future does Remington offers the parts I need to service these pistols? Even more concerning to me is how well Remington marks the calibers on the parts. I have a Hoppes kit which I added to over the years and they have a bad habit of not engraving the brushes/patch devices with the caliber they're made for. I keep the parts in the boxes they came in so I know and generally I can eyeball the caliber they're for but I want to be absolutely sure. I will probably shoot Remington an E-Mail to get answers for my technical questions as I don't expect anyone here to know these specifics but I would like to see what people here think of the kit. Does anyone have experience with this type of cleaning system? Do you think it's a good buy? Thanks.
    Sanity, yours if you can keep it.....

Hokkmike Guest

Default Re: I want to purchase this universal gun cleaning kit..

Take a close look at the OTIS cable systems. I got everything I need for all of my long guns in a compact package about the size of a LARGE doughnut. It cost me about $60. (don't remember exactly)

They sell them in different varieties. VERY pleased with mine...

cables (3)
    brushes
    clothe tips
    solvent
    cleaner

Check it out! http://ads.midwayusa.com/find?sortby...Fe47OgodcnUAMg

(Tioga County)

I read up on it and my question is once you dirty the squeegee what do you do then? Clean the squeegee I guess but is it really completely clean? I like patches because it gets the gunk on them and then they are gone rather than recycling that dirt through the gun again.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Take a close look at the OTIS cable systems. I got everything I need for all of my long guns in a compact package about the size of a LARGE doughnut. It cost me about $60. (don't remember exactly)

They sell them in different varieties. VERY pleased with mine...

cables (3)
    brushes
    clothe tips
    solvent
    cleaner

Check it out! http://ads.midwayusa.com/find?sortby...Fe47OgodcnUAMg
    Thanks, are you talking about this kit specifically: http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/788...leaning-system

It says it does all calibers from 17-50 but it only comes with a handful of brushes, how is that possible? It also seems like this cleaning system sticks with the cotten patches.
    Last edited by LifeInPa; November 12th, 2013 at 01:13 PM.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    I read up on it and my question is once you dirty the squeegee what do you do then? Clean the squeegee I guess but is it really completely clean? I like patches because it gets the gunk on them and then they are gone rather than recycling that dirt through the gun again.
    Well it's plastic, I assume you just squirt it with CLP and remove the dirt with a cloth rag.

(Bucks County)

Greetings,

The Otis system only uses 2 patch sizes; small for up to .223/5.56 and the larger one for everything else. Yes, they are cotton, but very nice. I've been using their system exclusively since it came out and have been happy with the results. You can purchase any of the bits, patches and brushes separately as you need them or they wear out. The "CLIP" stuff that comes with the kit is just ok; I always use H#9 instead for the cleaning aspect.

The ONLY issue I ever had was once at a range I got a patch stuck in an AR bore (stupid on me, used the wrong size) so tight I couldn't get it out. Having a solid rod in your range bag can save the day.

Regards, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    Thanks, are you talking about this kit specifically: http://ads.midwayusa.com/product/788...leaning-system

It says it does all calibers from 17-50 but it only comes with a handful of brushes, how is that possible? It also seems like this cleaning system sticks with the cotten patches.

(Lehigh County)

I say scrap any "universal" system. Invest in good cleaning materials such as a quality one peice coated rod (or multiple for .17, mid size, and large bores), bore guide, caliber specific bronze and nylon brushes and jags. Specific solvents for copper, carbon, lead, etc., and plenty of patches. Buy a cheap tackle box to store all but the rods.

I have several rifles that shoot 1/2-3/4 MOA at 100 yards with factory loads. I try to clean after every 100 rounds, or more often depending on situation and rifle.

Cleaning a firearm shouldnt hurt it, as long as its done right.

Stay away from multi-peice non-coated rods, such as the one found in the hoppes kits!!! I've stayed away from the pull through cleaning systems as some of my rifles need to be scrubbed aggressively at times, and you just can't do that with the pull through systems.

(Pike County)

Quote Originally Posted by jim-analog View Post
    Greetings,

The Otis system only uses 2 patch sizes; small for up to .223/5.56 and the larger one for everything else. Yes, they are cotton, but very nice. I've been using their system exclusively since it came out and have been happy with the results. You can purchase any of the bits, patches and brushes separately as you need them or they wear out. The "CLIP" stuff that comes with the kit is just ok; I always use H#9 instead for the cleaning aspect.

The ONLY issue I ever had was once at a range I got a patch stuck in an AR bore (stupid on me, used the wrong size) so tight I couldn't get it out. Having a solid rod in your range bag can save the day.

Regards, Jim
    Jim, can you tell me exactly which Otis cleaning kit you have? They have a ton of them online. I need one that covers 22LR/223, my 30 cal rifles/pistols, and my 9mm pistol. I want to compare this system to the system from Remington.

Quote Originally Posted by Cfurlo View Post
    I say scrap any "universal" system. Invest in good cleaning materials such as a quality one peice coated rod (or multiple for .17, mid size, and large bores), bore guide, caliber specific bronze and nylon brushes and jags. Specific solvents for copper, carbon, lead, etc., and plenty of patches. Buy a cheap tackle box to store all but the rods.

I have several rifles that shoot 1/2-3/4 MOA at 100 yards with factory loads. I try to clean after every 100 rounds, or more often depending on situation and rifle.

Cleaning a firearm shouldnt hurt it, as long as its done right.

Stay away from multi-peice non-coated rods, such as the one found in the hoppes kits!!! I've stayed away from the pull through cleaning systems as some of my rifles need to be scrubbed aggressively at times, and you just can't do that with the pull through systems.
    I really want to avoid the headaches of building my own, I would probably have to shop around for 25-50 separate parts just to have the stuff I need for firearms I own now. I have been doing it with the Hoppes kit and I don't like it. I just want one kit with every piece I will need to clean/maintain firearms from 17 to 50 caliber. It's hard to make a decision because everyone has a different opinion on the subject. I got the Hoppes kit because it was well regarded and now your telling me I could be damaging my firearms with this kit. It's going to be a hard decision that's for sure.

I would be willing to buy an extra brush for a new caliber every now and then if I got a universal system though, that's no big deal.

(Northampton County)

I just ordered an Otis Elite, they are offering a $15 dollar rebate on it if bought from them or an authorized dealer. Mine was $96 shipped but don't think it qualifies for the rebate. The cheapest I could find with the rebate was $93, so for 3 bucks I am not messing with it. Shop around see what you find.

I have been using their tactical kit for a few weeks and like it a lot. But it is slower to use imo. I like the fact that they are USA made, even if it is NY.

For 1 piece coated rods, jags, brushes and solvent look at Bore Tech, they are in Quakertown and proudly 100% made in the USA.

I have a couple of Dewey rods and they are a fine rod also.

Bore guides and a gun cradle of some sort are good to have also.

Don't skimp on cleaning equipment! Don't use cheap jointed rods!

http://www.otistec.com/default.asp

http://www.boretech.com/index.shtml

http://www.deweyrods.com/

Patrick

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by LifeInPa View Post
    Jim, can you tell me exactly which Otis cleaning kit you have? They have a ton of them online. I need one that covers 22LR/223, my 30 cal rifles/pistols, and my 9mm pistol. I want to compare this system to the system from Remington.

I really want to avoid the headaches of building my own, I would probably have to shop around for 25-50 separate parts just to have the stuff I need for firearms I own now. I have been doing it with the Hoppes kit and I don't like it. I just want one kit with every piece I will need to clean/maintain firearms from 17 to 50 caliber. It's hard to make a decision because everyone has a different opinion on the subject. I got the Hoppes kit because it was well regarded and now your telling me I could be damaging my firearms with this kit. It's going to be a hard decision that's for sure.

I would be willing to buy an extra brush for a new caliber every now and then if I got a universal system though, that's no big deal.
    You have invested thousands in firearms, invest a hundred or two in quality cleaning equipment. Dewey, Tipton, boretech, or any one peice coated rod is better than the hoppes rods. The initial investment will hurt, but after that, you should only have to spend a few bucks a year replacing wear items, patches, and solvents. I migh have spent 30$ this year on pathes and solvents.

The rods are the largest cost, but you only have to buy them once.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast