Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default New gun owner looking to make some friends

Hey everybody, my name is Andrew. This is a great forum and I've enjoyed reading it over the last few months.

I am a 25 year old former Marine, I got out in March '07 after my 4 years was up. I was a diesel mechanic, the shop chief for 1RADBN Motor-T, making sure all the 7-tons and hummers were healthy. I got to live in Okinawa Japan for a year, which was great. I also did one very safe, boring, hot and sweaty tour in Iraq that did nothing whatsoever to make America safer.

Now I am using my GI Bill to get me through college, I attend Penn State Abington campus, as a painting and drawing major, and I'd like to make a living as an artist, maybe even teaching painting/ drawing at a college or graduate level. I do seasonal construction work in museums in NYC for my dad's company when the museums change over their shows.

I live in Northern Liberties, and after a shooting or two, and a rape, rape here and a robbery-assault there I decided to get a pistol for home defense. I now own a Glock 21SF, and it stays in an easy to reach spot next to my bed.

I am well versed in firearms safety and handling when it comes to M-16's and 92FS's, but I am new to Glocks and the lack of an external safety. I am decent with a beretta 9 but haven't even taken my .45 to the range yet. I can hit COM at 500 yards 8/10 times using iron sights with an M16 but haven't shot more than 500 rds through a pistol in my life.

My girlfriend was freaked out at first when I consulted her about getting a firearm, but she could understand why, and she trusted me because I had lived around weapons for four years. After I got it I showed her how a handgun works and showed her the big dos and dont's and taught her the four main safety rules and all that, in case she ever needed to handle it. Then I accidentally scared the bejesus out of her: after clearing the weapon to lock it back up I sent the slide home and she thought the pistol had gone off! She did not like it.

Fast forward a few months, after hearing about another pair of sexual assaults in my neighborhood, and one of her co-workers getting sexually assaulted during a home invasion, my girlfriend now wants me to get a LTCF and CC whenever I'm with her! Talk about a 180!

Being new-ish to the area I don't know many people in Philadelphia county that I could use as a reference. I go to school in Montgomery County with a bunch of other commuters, I work in NJ and NY, and I am only close-ish friends with a handful of people in the area, all of whom either have out of state licenses (RI, WA, OR) or no license at all (or state ID). What are the chances of that? I was thinking about using my girlfriend as one reference, as she isn't family (yet). She even lives in Delco, I'm not sure if it is significant or not if she lives outside of Philadelphia county - she works in University City of that makes any difference. I am at a total loss for who else to use!

So - I was wondering if anyone here would be willing to meet me at a good range somewhere and run me through some drills, maybe a regular thing, get to know me, and eventually be willing to act as my reference once they are sure I'm not a lunatic. After I get my LTCF I'd need someone to show me the ins and outs concerning CC as well. If there are already informal group meetings I would like the opportunity to get involved with those as well.

I know enough to know that I don't know enough concerning handguns, so I am looking to get schooled. I know there are classes you can take, but a class one Saturday isn't going to result in getting to know anybody real well.

Thanks a lot for any replies -

-Andrew

(York County)

Default Re: New gun owner looking to make some friends

welcome to the forum.

My Name is GlockMan And I Approve This Message!!

(Luzerne County)

Welcome to the forum.
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by sttaffy View Post
    I also did one very safe, boring, hot and sweaty tour in Iraq that did nothing whatsoever to make America safer.

-Andrew
    You put yourself out there and was prepared to make America safer, that's all that matters.

Welcome aboard, you'll find plenty of good people in your area here.

Welcome to the forum. You will find that it is full of good people and good advice on a wide range of matters.
    I live up in the far NE and am a member of both the Ready Aim Fire range in Bristol and Holmesburg Fish and Game.
    I usually head up to RAF on weekend mornings. Maybe sometime we can set up a meet and greet.
    Last edited by Driver400; January 5th, 2009 at 09:40 PM.

(Philadelphia County)

What's up man? I live in NoLibs too. I usually go down to Colosimo's on 9th and Spring Garden to shoot about once a week. Check out the northern liberties forum http://pub50.bravenet.com/forum/4226496069/
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

(Montgomery County)

Andrew,

Welcome aboard and thank you for your service. At Langhorne Rod and Gun Club we have a very active pistol program with world class instructors. We are located about 30-45 minutes from your location in Northampton Township Bucks County. http://langhornerodandgunclub.org/

I would be happy to meet with you and your GF (if she'd like to attend). We have a very modest guest fee of $5.00 each for the day. You can check out our club and we can go over some of the basics of the Glock (my personal carry weapon), fire some rounds, as well as discuss the PA Concealed Carry Permit process.

We also have a tremendously popular practical rifle program with most of our shooters using the AR15 rifle (we know you're familiar with that one). Feel free to email me at lastdefender@aol.com and we can set up a time if this is of interest to you.

Regards,
    Gary
    Co-Chairman
    Langhorne Rod and Gun Club
    Practical Rifle Program

(Philadelphia County)

Hi Andrew,

I've heard several reports that Philadelphia will accept out of county references. When you apply for your LTCF you speak to an interviewing officer who will take all your details. You can explain that you are ex-military and new to the area.

There are a few horror stories of people getting a hard time from the Philadelphia authorities but they were quite friendly to me and most people I know who have applied.

(Butler County)

Might I suggest that your girlfriend get her own LTCF and gun. You cannot be around her 24/7 for protection. Once you are both up and running, you will have a convenient range buddy. Two guns are better than one.

(Philadelphia County)

Wow! Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and helpful replies.

I think I might take all of you up on your offers - I'm looking to find a 'regular' range and what better way then to shoot at a few.

Driver400: I'm usually in Delco for the weekend but I'd still like to check out RAF. I'll probably be able to free up next weekend to say hi and shoot a bit if you plan on going anyway. PM me and let me know

JIDinPhilly: Colosimo's has intrigued me since I was a kid growing up in Northern Liberties. I've heard some negative reports about them, especially their prices, but I think I have to go there at least once! I've driven past them probably two thousand times and never went in. Heh. Again, PM me when you might be going next and I'll see if I can meet you there.

Also, I drop in on the message board every once in a while. I've posted a few times - the last was maybe 6 months ago about my buddy getting his face crushed in at the McDonald's on Girard. What a freakshow story that is. Whereabouts do you live? I'm at 915 N 4th, the house with the crumbling steps, a spire, and a wrought-iron-fenced in backyard full of dog turds. We may have walked past each-other a million times.

Lastdefender: That doesn't sound like something I could pass up. The pistol course I read about on your website sounds neat. For the practical rifle would I have to bring my own AR-15 or are they available for rent? I'll make it out there one of these days, for sure.

Philbert: That's good to hear. I'm guessing they still have to have a PA drivers license, but this should make it easier.

Kimba: As for my girlfriend CC'ing, that would be ideal. I'm working on it, but it's going to take some time before she is comfortable with the idea. I'm going to pick up some pepper spray for her this week sometime.

Again, thanks for the welcome!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast