Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default What gun should i use for law enforcement?

I'm about to graduate highschool and join the marines and after i get out i'm moving to law enforcement, past year i have been trying to look for a "perfect pistol" but cant find one, and i want to have this squared away before i become a cop. So i'm asking you to convince me on what gun i should buy or consider.

Tyler

Default Re: What gun should i use for law enforcement?

Honestly, don't worry about it... By the time you get out of the MARINES, deployments and all you will have one view on what you want... then you go to the Police Academy, and will have to learn to shoot whatever they tell you too... Every agency is different and will issue different firearms...

All that being said... Most departments I know of carry GLOCKS. Statistically, I could not tell you what comes next in order of most popular issued firearm...

FED's have GLOCK, SIG, and HK... for almost all contracts for the ABC (3 Letter) Agencies, while the Military still issues the Beretta widely to the Army and the Marines have a few other ones I'm not totally sure of... Spec Ops uses pretty much whatever they want...

(Pike County)

Well if you become a LEO most jobs provide you with a duty weapon, you get to pick and purchase your own off duty. As far as choices, like the NYPD for instance go with whatever weapon you feel most comfortable with when you have firearms training during range week in the academy.

Keep in mind the larger the agency the more regulation they have so your "ideal weapon". Just to be sure you understand what Deputy was telling you NYPD lets you have your choice of what is authorized. Last I knew (about 3 years ago) they authorized Glock, SIG, and S&W 9mms for duty use. NYPD is very specific regarding make, model, and finish. Stuff like G26s and Kahrs are authorized for off duty. Some agencies require you only carry what's issued and that's it no choice. Smaller PDs are more receptive to use what you got in reason.

If you learn to shoot well with one gun it will all transtion to a different one.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by jarheadMT View Post
    I'm about to graduate highschool and join the marines and after i get out i'm moving to law enforcement, past year i have been trying to look for a "perfect pistol" but cant find one, and i want to have this squared away before i become a cop. So i'm asking you to convince me on what gun i should buy or consider.

Tyler
    in all reality you are looking at no less then 4 - 5 years away (assuming you are out in 4 years and immediately find a LEO job). By then there will probably be new players on the LEO scene and it will almost certainly not be up to you for what you will carry.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Dauphin County)

You can pretty much count on getting a GLOCK or SIG as your standard police issued gun.

(Lehigh County)

having gone through exactly that scenario, I carried the Beretta M9 all through my USMC career. Depending on where you apply to work as an LEO, they may require you to comply to a caliber guideline or a specific firearm.

My advice to you is to learn the fundamentals and keep your skills sharp. that way, whatever path/firearm you take, you will be able to keep on target.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

(Allegheny County)

That decision will most likely be made for you by the department who hires you.

I had a choice between a Glock 22 or 21. I went with the 21SF.
    "Having a gun and thinking you are armed is like having a piano and thinking you are a musician" Col. Jeff Cooper (U.S.M.C. Ret.)
    Speed is fine, Accuracy is final

Quote Originally Posted by crakkajakka15 View Post
    You can pretty much count on getting a GLOCK or SIG as your standard police issued gun.
    this is a question for all of the people who suggested glock, my girlfriends dad was a cop in cali for 9 years and his parter and him where getting ready to make a arrest and his parters glock 17 went off and went all the way through his leg, luckily missing all the important stuff and it was a surprise for them and the person they were about to arrest because since his parter was incapacitated he had to run 4 blocks to catch the victim, does this happen very often or not?

(York County)

Stupidity is not the fault of the gun. Glocks don't accidentally discharge any more than other guns. Your girlfriend's dad's partner didn't practice safe gun handling and had a negligent discharge.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast