Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Cambria County)

Default Values, Vision and Mission

Perhaps I missed it, but I have not found a page that clearly articulates the Values, Vision and Mission (VVM) of the PAFOA.

In my experience organizations that are "Built to Last" have a clear focus on Values. Vision and Mission are also very important to help direct the organization.

For example, presently 'infractions' are based on a general/arbitrary system of right vs wrong. If there were a clearly defined Vision, Values and Mission, the infractions could be based on actions/statements that are contrary to the VVM of the organization.

Additionally, if the PAFOA were to contribute funds for the sake of activism, the distribution of those funds could be clearly justified or denied based on the VVM of the organization.

Furthermore, danp and doug are the men that created this organization, but already, it has become something larger than them. PAFOA is an organization that I would like to see live much longer than myself and the founders. If the organization is to continue, a clear and well defined VVM statement will allow future leaders of the organization to be able to uphold and develop the values, vision and mission of the PAFOA.

So, if there is currently no VVM statement, perhaps we should hash out how such a statement should be defined?

(Franklin County)

Default Re: Values, Vision and Mission

Currently, I thing the "About" page is the closest thing to what you are looking for. There is also already a Mission Statement.

http://www.pafoa.org/about

http://www.pafoa.org/about/mission
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    Perhaps I missed it, but I have not found a page that clearly articulates the Values, Vision and Mission (VVM) of the PAFOA.

In my experience organizations that are "Built to Last" have a clear focus on Values. Vision and Mission are also very important to help direct the organization.

For example, presently 'infractions' are based on a general/arbitrary system of right vs wrong. If there were a clearly defined Vision, Values and Mission, the infractions could be based on actions/statements that are contrary to the VVM of the organization.

Additionally, if the PAFOA were to contribute funds for the sake of activism, the distribution of those funds could be clearly justified or denied based on the VVM of the organization.

Furthermore, danp and doug are the men that created this organization, but already, it has become something larger than them. PAFOA is an organization that I would like to see live much longer than myself and the founders. If the organization is to continue, a clear and well defined VVM statement will allow future leaders of the organization to be able to uphold and develop the values, vision and mission of the PAFOA.

So, if there is currently no VVM statement, perhaps we should hash out how such a statement should be defined?
    Kudos to you.

I've recently had a similar exchange with a moderator about such issues. He was able to share a lot of insight with me and help me better understand the hierarchy of the org.

I would be very supportive of any work involved with the steering of the organization. I had raised the issue of a PAFOA Steering Committee with him. I originally was conceptualizing an "official" arm of the PAFOA organization. However, such a committee does not necessarily need to be an "official" entity, and can be an independent group of like minded individuals who are also members of PAFOA. A Memorandum Of Understanding (MOU) can be established between the groups so that bounds are identified and VVMs outlined which are mutually beneficial to both. MOUs also prevent faction-ing and promote synergy.

Just some food for thought... think about it...

(Philadelphia County)

As greg said, our mission has been defined on our main website since pretty much day 1: http://www.pafoa.org/about/mission

It's broad enough to not focus us on any one battle, but narrow enough to keep us focused on the prize: Protecting Pennsylvanian's right to keep and bear arms.

How we do that will evolve and change based on the situations we are faced with.

Infractions will never be issued based on our goals. I am not going to issue an infraction to someone simply because they disagree with our opinions of what what constitutes gun rights, etc. Our rules clearly state that anti-gun views are allowed on the forum as long as they are argued with facts, logic, reason, and politely (it's good practice to have to argue against anti-gun sentiments, I'd rather people do it here than in real life) However no one has ever really seemed to try it (big surprise)

When I created PAFOA I hoped that it would outlast me, and so far it looks like it probably will.

Everything I do with PAFOA I do based on whether or not I believe it will help gun owners in PA.

Now, if you guys all think our mission statement is a bunch of crap, perhaps we can reword it, but keep in mind that (it is my understanding) there are legal issues with redoing one's mission statement, so we better have a darn good reason to change it.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by danp View Post
    As greg said, our mission has been defined on our main website since pretty much day 1: http://www.pafoa.org/about/mission

It's broad enough to not focus us on any one battle, but narrow enough to keep us focused on the prize: Protecting Pennsylvanian's right to keep and bear arms.

How we do that will evolve and change based on the situations we are faced with.
    Right, I knew the mission was there and I have read it several times. It is solid, and IMO does not need any modification. I mention Mission in my original post because it is intertwined with Values and Vision statements which we do not seem to have.

Infractions will never be issued based on our goals. I am not going to issue an infraction to someone simply because they disagree with our opinions of what what constitutes gun rights, etc. Our rules clearly state that anti-gun views are allowed on the forum as long as they are argued with facts, logic, reason, and politely (it's good practice to have to argue against anti-gun sentiments, I'd rather people do it here than in real life) However no one has ever really seemed to try it (big surprise)
    Values are entirely different from Goals (In the sense of VVM statements anyway). I should have been more specific in my OP and said that infractions could be related to organizational values. (I agree that infractions should not be related to Vision and/or Mission)

Protecting gun rights is a Mission, seeing laws changed is a Vision and ensuring that the effort to accomplish the Mission and Vision is done with honesty and integrity is a Value.

There are tons of leadership and business books out there, and any one worth its salt will normally have a big section explaining the role of values and principal based leadership in any organization.

Values like Integrity and Respect can be guiding principals that define the organization and who we want to allow to be a part of it. I think that our organization already has some unspoken values, such as Respect, but having the values clearly defined and articulated can ensure that the values will always be present in the organization.

If PAFOA were to adopt Respect For the Individual (or something similar) as an organizational core value, it would be a value that would guide infractions regarding racism, abusive language and other such things. I know the rules are already pretty well laid out, and I don't really care to see them changed, I am just touching on one way that Organizational Values can be helpful.

I don't feel like I am making a good enough case for how beneficial stated solid core values can be for an organization. "Built to Last," by Jim Collins and Jerry I. Porras does a very good job of articulating the significance of a good VVM, and fortunately the book is a quick and easy read with lots of entertaining and interesting information. I highly recommend this book for anyone in a leadership role.