Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Historic scenario : Ash Street shootout (The night that changed Tacoma's Hilltop)

Interesting story, I'd heard about this third-hand years ago and always thought it was an urban legend. Good food-for-thought, as far as tactics and planning.

20 years ago, a tense Hilltop neighborhood erupted in hundreds of gunshots as gangsters fought Army Rangers for control. The shootout gained national attention and brought changes to the neighborhood and the city.

Complete story, maps and photos here.
    http://www.thenewstribune.com/topsto...y/895048.html#

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Historic scenario : Ash Street shootout (The night that changed Tacoma's Hilltop)

We have a similar situation brewing in Arnold, PA which is adjacent to the town I live in.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/...81/detail.html

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Historic scenario : Ash Street shootout (The night that changed Tacoma's Hilltop)

Foulk ordered the women into the house. Shirley Luckett, who had a gun, was mildly annoyed. She had sent her children to stay with a relative. However the thing went down, she was in.

“I had a nine (a 9-millimeter pistol) in my hand – yes I did, somebody gave me a nine,” she said. “I was gonna fight for my life.”
    and good starter for discussion on family tactics.

who in your home knows what?

what are they capable of?

do you have a plan for emergency? Fire? Home invasion? Robbery?

Can you and your significant other work as a team?

How do you communicate?

there is a lot that needs worked out, not just for in the home, but for out and about.

We have started on working on this stuff, but it is a long process, and needs tried out with other people in simulators, role played, and tested.

I think the big learning point would be that, for 300 shots fired, there was only one 'maybe' wounded Gangbanger. That's alot of non-connecting bullets in the air. From the text -

Carmack, the photographer, heard a police commander lecturing the Rangers. He doesn’t know who it was, but he knows what he heard.

“The commander, he was really pissed off at the soldiers,” Carmack recalled. “He said, ‘I don’t see one (expletive) body over there.’ I may be ad-libbing, but he was upset that they missed.”

I wonder how many similarly under/un-reported incidents after Katrina there are?

(Chester County)

Gutsy move on the ranger's part. While it's true what the police berated him about... that he could have prevented it before it happened. That he could have called 911 even before the shooting started, I think it would have only prevented it that one night. It would have happened the following night instead... when he'd be alone without a whole squad of rangers on his side.

I don't understand why he never got promoted in the army. For doing the right thing... for protecting his home and standing up to the drug dealers. Why is that a bad thing that cost him his promotion. Makes no sense... they should be proud of him.

And the cops... compromising with the drug dealers (as long as there's no violence? WTF). Telling the rangers to surrender the low-end stuff and keep the high end stuff? ... not following protocol? wow...

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    We have a similar situation brewing in Arnold, PA which is adjacent to the town I live in.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/...81/detail.html
    No kidding... I walked into the middle of a drug deal going badly on Woodmont about 8 or 9 years ago. And got a pistol stuffed into my face. My friends apt was around the back of the house, so I had to walk down into the alley.

I got lucky and they all just left after I swore I honestly didn't care what they were doing. And then I ducked my ass into my buddies place ASAP.

Arnold sucks... blech...

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by Story View Post
    I think the big learning point would be that, for 300 shots fired, there was only one 'maybe' wounded Gangbanger. That's alot of non-connecting bullets in the air. From the text -

Carmack, the photographer, heard a police commander lecturing the Rangers. He doesn’t know who it was, but he knows what he heard.

“The commander, he was really pissed off at the soldiers,” Carmack recalled. “He said, ‘I don’t see one (expletive) body over there.’ I may be ad-libbing, but he was upset that they missed.”

I wonder how many similarly under/un-reported incidents after Katrina there are?
    The article never says who fired how many rounds. So there's no telling what the Rangers actually did. Plus they might have not been too keen on killing any of these shitbags.