Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Erie County)

Default AK 47 in the trunk..need help.

Going to shoot my AK for the first time. Got 600 rounds still in boxes in the bucket in the trunk next to a locked gun case with an AK47 (no mags in the case, unloaded). If for whatever reason a cop would open my trunk am I ok? Dont want to get in trouble. Thanks guys. I live in PA btw.
    AK-47 (arsenal sgl21)

(Monroe County)

Default Re: AK 47 in the trunk..need help.

Quote Originally Posted by anton View Post
    Going to shoot my AK for the first time. Got 600 rounds still in boxes in the bucket in the trunk next to a locked gun case with an AK47 (no mags in the case, unloaded). If for whatever reason a cop would open my trunk am I ok? Dont want to get in trouble. Thanks guys. I live in PA btw.
    No reason to open the trunk and yeah, you're ok.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: AK 47 in the trunk..need help.

Other than in Philly or during a declared emergency - for the rest of the state the ONLY restriction on transporting a long gun(rifle/shotgun) in PA is that it cannot be loaded. That means no ammo in the chamber or in a fixed magazine.

For guns that use detachable magazines, any loaded magazines suitable for the guns that are present must be in a separate container. Loose, boxed, or otherwise cased ammo can be anywhere including duct taped to the gun.

18 Pa.C.S.A. § 6102 Definitions

“Loaded.” A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or, in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm. If the magazine is inserted into a pouch, holder, holster or other protective device that provides for a complete and secure enclosure of the ammunition, then the pouch, holder, holster or other protective device shall be deemed to be a separate compartment.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!