Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Just crazy in NJ ...

So yesterday I had to go to my Dentist who is in Flemington NJ. Was about 45 minutes early so I thought I would spend the extra time I had in Sportsman's Rendezvous, which is right down the street. They had a handgun there that I am interested in purchasing at some point so I asked to see it. Guess what, they can't show you anything unless you have a valid NJ firearms license. What a bunch of crap!

(Butler County)

Default Re: Just crazy in NJ ...

Yeah, Illinois does that too. You aren't allowed to touch any firearm, pistol or rifle, without showing your card first.

Crazy.
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

(York County)

As crazy as it is/sounds, I have heard of this happening before. Can't blame the shop, they are just following the absurd laws of that landfill...I mean cesspool...I mean state.

GB
    Certified Glock Armorer

(Bucks County)

GB ... agreed, I don't blame the shop and did converse with them about the NJ laws being so bad. Really makes me appreciate the freedoms that we have here in PA.

(Chester County)

I have heard of this before but I find nothing in either the statutes or administrative code that require any type of licensure to examine a firearm on a dealer's premises. This might be some self-imposed restriction dealer's have or maybe they figure if you don't have the necessary PURCHASE licenses then you're 'lookey-loos' and use it for a convenient, contrived excuse to not expend any time on you. Absent any citations for the 'rule' I would blame the shop - not the state.

Also, are you aware that a range can 'rent'/loan firearms with no licensure provided the dealer is present and supervises the use of the firearm? This would seem to fly-in-the-face of 'no unlicensed handling at a retail shop'

NJS 2C:58-3.1. Temporary transfer of firearms
    1. a. Notwithstanding the provisions of N.J.S.2C:39-9, N.J.S.2C:58-2, N.J.S.2C:58-3 or any other statute to the contrary concerning the transfer or disposition of firearms, the legal owner, or a dealer licensed under N.J.S.2C:58-2, may temporarily transfer a handgun, rifle or shotgun to another person who is 18 years of age or older, whether or not the person receiving the firearm holds a firearms purchaser identification card or a permit to carry a handgun.
    IANAL

this is also common practice in Mass.
    NRA Endownment & NRA Pistol Instructor

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by tl_3237 View Post
    I have heard of this before but I find nothing in either the statutes or administrative code that require any type of licensure to examine a firearm on a dealer's premises. This might be some self-imposed restriction dealer's have or maybe they figure if you don't have the necessary PURCHASE licenses then you're 'lookey-loos' and use it for a convenient, contrived excuse to not expend any time on you. Absent any citations for the 'rule' I would blame the shop - not the state.

Also, are you aware that a range can 'rent'/loan firearms with no licensure provided the dealer is present and supervises the use of the firearm? This would seem to fly-in-the-face of 'no unlicensed handling at a retail shop'
    You could be right, am just not familiar with all the NJ laws. I did explain to the owner that I had a LTC in PA and that if I liked the firearm I would purchase via him sending to an FFL in PA. No dice with this ... he said he could send to FFL in PA but I couldn't hold/touch/examine it in NJ. Lol, the same holds true with BB guns and Airsoft stuff ...

(Lehigh County)

The only reason they do this practice of "I can't show you or let you handle any firearms unless you have a valid NJ FID card or any such permit to purchase" is because these guys feel that you will not be able to purchase it in the first place, thus they are not making a sale, so why should they waste their time. Even if you had a license from a PA FFL for handguns or a NJ FID card for long guns with a PA address and matching driver's license, they don't want to waste their time shipping to another dealer or selling it to you direct, being a non-resident with an NJ FID card. This practice, in my opinion is just silly, and all it has to do with is I the dealer are making a sale and don't have to be bothered with too much extra work. I would also like to add that prices of guns are generally higher in NJ than in PA, and not to mention even if you were to find a dealer that would sell you a long gun with a valid non resident NJ FID, I ain't paying $15 or more for their instant check. Not to mention depending on what type of any kind of firearm, you have to comply with their laws like their state wide assault weapons ban which seems to change from month to month.

Fuck Joisey!
    FUCK BIDEN

(Montgomery County)

Get a dentist in PA and support your community and Commonwealth.

New York has wilder laws, as I understand it it is a crime for someone without a "pistol permit" to hold or touch an handgun. Absurd laws for absurd places.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast