Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eye protection

(Philadelphia County)

Default Eye protection

This thread got me thinking eye protection. I did some Googling and found some interesting info.

Most of us who have been shooting for a while probably know that the basic standard for eye protection is ANSI Z87.1. This standard was recently updated in 2003, when ANSI introduced a distinct "high impact" test.

The tests for the basic impact protection is "drop ball". Any glasses bearing the Z87 mark must pass the following tests:

Drop Ball--Shall be capable of resisting impact from a 25.4mm (1 in.) steel ball dropped from a height of 127mm (50 in.). The lens shall not fracture.

Penetration--Plastic lenses shall be capable of resisting penetration from a weighted projectile weighing 1.56 oz. dropped from a height of 50 in. The lens shall not fracture or be pierced through.
    In addition, lenses bearing a Z87+ mark must pass the "high impact" test:

17.6 oz. pointed projectile dropped from a height of 51.2 in. Should not cause any parts or fragments of the protector to be ejected that could contact the eye of the head form.
    and the "high velocity" test:

1/4 in. steel ball traveling at 150 ft/s (102mph)
    No contact with the eye of the head form is allowed as a result of the impact.
    No parts or fragments of the protector may be ejected that could contact the eye of the head form.
    Note that prescription / non-prescription lenses are tested slightly differently (non-prescription lenses are tested while mounted to the glasses). More info here.

I'm thinking that everyone using firearms probably wants AT LEAST the Z87.1+ 2003 protection. There is another standard, MIL-PRF-31013, that defines a higher-velocity test:

The ballistic resistance of the spectacles shall be such that they will
    pass a Vo test using a 0.15 caliber, 5.8 grain, T37 shaped projectile at a velocity of 640 to 660 feet per second.
    I'm not sure what a T37 shape is, but 0.15", 5 grain projectile is about the size and weight of a #2 shotgun pellet. I call this standard "Cheney protection".

So much for the specs, how about some glasses. I've been using the NRA's

Tactical glasses which sell for 29.95. They meet Z87+. My number one complaint about these is that they fog up badly. They form a seal around the eyes, which is great for preventing errant .22 casings from falling between the lens and my forehead. But the downside is they get sweaty quite quickly if it's warm. I have problems with my shooting stance as it is, but in the summer I've found myself adjusting my head position so that I can peer through the part of the lens that is not totally obscured by moisture.

Therefore, I'm looking for new glasses, and I'd appreciate any suggestions. What works for you guys?

Years ago I had a nice pair from a company called "protective optics", which is apparently now Wiley X. They make a series of glasses that meet Z87+ and the Mil-spec. They are a fair bit pricier (around $100) but most models come with interchangeable lenses.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Eye protection

I use Beretta glasses, and I love them.
    Last edited by Agent Smith; August 31st, 2008 at 07:54 PM.

Proud member of:

(Allegheny County)

I've bought from gss-store.com and Omarksafety.com

You can get various tints and anti-fog coated safety glasses without spending a lot.
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

(Chester County)

i wear my oakleys when its sunny out and my normal prescription when it isnt
    i had prescription lenses put into my oakleys as well

(Allegheny County)

Any suggestions for those who wear glasses would be appreciated.

I can't wear other glasses over mine, so I'm thinking of getting a pair of prescription shooting glasses. Not sure what style yet, and I don't know what I need to ask for when I go to get them.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

I can't wear other glasses over mine, so I'm thinking of getting a pair of prescription shooting glasses. Not sure what style yet, and I don't know what I need to ask for when I go to get them.
    I was looking at Safe Vision when I was going to get a pair of prescription safety glasses.

Apparently, all you need to do is include a copy of your prescription when ordering.

http://www.safevision.net/

Proud member of:

(Pike County)

Lab Safety Supply has a lot of different style glasses that can be worn over regular glasses.
    http://www.labsafety.com/

(York County)

I hear you on the fogging issue...

I've got some large yellow plastic goggles that will fit over my glasses but within minutes are completely fogged up.

So I tend to just wear my prescription glasses. They are polycarbonate as opposed to glass. Lord willing, I'll never need more than a light deflection.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post

When i was in Jr. High the one shop teacher had prescription glasses that were safety glasses. If I remember right, when he went to get the glasses he just told them what safety standards he needed them to meet and they made them.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by gf45acp View Post
    Lab Safety Supply has a lot of different style glasses that can be worn over regular glasses.
    http://www.labsafety.com/
    I love lab safety. Got one some their catalogs, albeit a couple years old.
    Please help my Baby Kitties and I avoid being homeless.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast