Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Daughters first lesson

I gave my 10 year old daughter her first lesson on shooting last weekend. It was the first time she showed interest in it. She had a "blast"! of course I only let her have at it with a BB gun to teach her technique and safety. but once all that was over and we got down to the target practice.. She did REAL good! except for a few strays she maintained about a 9" spread at 15 yards with a powerline 1600 pistol. I look forward to progressing with her as she gains more respect and knowledge for firearms. Daddy's lil girl is making daddy proud!

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Daughters first lesson

Quote Originally Posted by dregan View Post
    I gave my 10 year old daughter her first lesson on shooting last weekend. It was the first time she showed interest in it. She had a "blast"! of course I only let her have at it with a BB gun to teach her technique and safety. but once all that was over and we got down to the target practice.. She did REAL good! except for a few strays she maintained about a 9" spread at 15 yards with a powerline 1600 pistol. I look forward to progressing with her as she gains more respect and knowledge for firearms. Daddy's lil girl is making daddy proud!
    That's awesome. My 4yr old daughter got a Pink Red Ryder for Christmas... She can't wait to shoot it. As soon as the snow clears a bit, I will take her out.

Good job passing on your knowledge to your daughter.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Northampton County)

Congrats on the first lesson. May you have many more days at the range together.

(Allegheny County)

When my daughter was four she started with my Desert Eagle. Of course, it was the small one in .44 Mag.

(Lebanon County)

Congratulations on taking the first steps toward creating another lover of guns and the shooting sports.

Balloons have a way of keeping kids really interested when they're just learning. The little "Water Bomb" water balloons are pretty cheap and a good size. (I've never tried filling them with water o shoot at them though.) As the skill improves you inflate a little less to make it a bit more challenging.
    It won't take you long to figure out that you want the shooter to blow up their own targets though, when she starts getting good you could hyperventilate trying to keep up.

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Centre County)

Post deleted by poster, as I am, doing to almost all my posts.
    Last edited by TheF00L; April 13th, 2010 at 06:07 AM.

To give them a thrill, put some flour in the balloons before you blow them up. When I take the grandkids out I'll flour up 15-20 balloons before we go. Once at the range I blow them up and put them on a post. It give them a thrill to watch them explode.

(Berks County)

I remember as a child doing the cans and balloons although never filled with water or flour. Thanks, that's a cool idea. Shame of it is I live in town with no real yard to speak of so we are limited to indoor practice mostly As soon as we do have some outdoor time I will surely do the balloons.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by dregan View Post
    I remember as a child doing the cans and balloons although never filled with water or flour. Thanks, that's a cool idea. Shame of it is I live in town with no real yard to speak of so we are limited to indoor practice mostly As soon as we do have some outdoor time I will surely do the balloons.
    Certainly don't want to try the powder or water when practicing indoors!

I don't have a short temper, I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

(Monroe County)

I h ave twin 6 yr olds that are begging me to go shooting, but mom thinks they're too young still. I would love to take them ,but don't know how to convince the wife that they are ready. My dad gave me a .22 luger when I was 5 and said "here, don't shoot yourself. Have fun". Kinda irresponsible, but thanks to him, I like guns and have been a shooter ever since. I wouldn't do that with my kids, but I know my kids will love it and be hooked. Maybe even leverage to get them to take on more responsibility- do your homework/ clean your room/ put away your toys or you can't go to the range with dad.
    Help, I want to get them started off right.
    Don't take anything I say seriously, unless I say seriously. Seriously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast