Found in PSU Collegian 4/26/07

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archive...07dnews-05.asp

By Megan McKeever
Collegian Staff Writer
As a debate ensues over gun control one week after the Virginia Tech tragedy, a Pennsylvania state representative introduced a bill supporting the right to bear arms -- although co-sponsors say it is unrelated to the shooting in Blacksburg.

State Rep. Daryl Metcalfe, R-Butler, introduced two pieces of pro-Second Amendment legislation with 27 co-sponsors to the House Monday.

Metcalfe's bill "was in the works" before the Virginia Tech shooting occured, state Rep. Bob Bastian, R-Somerset, co-sponsor of the bill, said.

"All the gun laws in the world couldn't have stopped [the incident at] Virginia Tech," he said.

According to the bill, the first piece of legislation would prohibit any government agency from keeping a database of privately owned firearms.

If passed, the bill would require any existing database to be destroyed within 60 days.

State College Police Lt. Dana Leonard said police often use these databases to trace handguns used in crimes.

"If we are trying to locate the owner of a gun, we rely very heavily on the state and federal databases," Leonard said.

Bastian said the bill's main focus is to support Second Amendment rights and that gun databases are "unconstitutional."

"I think right now we have plenty of laws to make sure we are safe," Bastian said.

Both Bastian and state Rep. Steven Cappelli, R-Williamsport, another co-sponsor, agreed that the legislation would not affect police efforts to trace handguns used in crimges.

All manufacturers maintain records of guns produced and where they are shipped, Cappelli said, adding that police can go to the manufacturer and then back to the wholesaler, who will have records of who the gun was sold to.

Cappelli said the legislation is not focusing on the sale of firearms, but the fact that the "current handgun registry is in violation of federal law."

State Rep. Scott Conklin, D-Centre, said he believes the focus should be enforcing current gun legislation, said chief of staff Tor Michaels.

Metcalfe's legislation was just introduced, and Conklin will need more time to review the bills before he can take a formal stance, Michaels said.

"In general, we believe there are enough gun laws on the books that need to be enforced today and unfortunately, we cannot control the mind and heart of individuals who intend on hurting people," Michaels said.

Metcalfe's second piece of legislation is aimed at helping domestic abuse victims defend themselves by allowing them to obtain a 90-day gun license to protect themselves, according to the bill.

Metcalfe could not be reached for comment as of press time yesterday.

There is no set timetable for when the bills will be discussed again or voted on, Michaels said.

Bastian said legislation takes time for approval, adding that he "wouldn't expect anything 'til fall."

"I think it will probably pass the House and the Senate," Cappelli said. " ... I don't know if the governor will sign it ... I think he will probably veto it."