Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

Default gun store employees ignorance?

Well I got a call from a [certain gun store in Glen Rock] that they had sceduled their next FL permit session, and they wanted to know if I wanted to be on the sign up list. On the message was " you do realize that you can't use the FL permit in Md and PA, and must have a PA permit to carry in PA?" Well duhhh I know about the MD part, but what gets me is these people working at a gun store that has plenty of MD customers have no idea about the AG's letter clarifying that ANYONE with a FL permit, resident or nonresident of FL can carry concealed with that permit in PA. I cannot get a PA nonres permit due to MD's snobbishness in issuing, and to get a PA nonresident lisc I have to have a MD one first. Don't any of these people ever get online? The knowledge about this is all over the SEVERAL gun boards, and is a running feature at MDshooters.

BTW I called back and said "put me on the class list", but I didn't want to start arguing about PA and FL reciprocity and the PA AG, so I didn't bring it up, and neither did the person who answered the phone. When I talked to the FL permit class INSTRUCTOR a while back he didn't even know that a hunters safety certificate is all you need for the education requirement for the FL permit. I guess they want everyone paying the extra money for the gun safety class.

I feel that educating the people there will be akin to some of these OC police harrassments. Makes me want to bang my head on something...

Now don't get me wrong, the people there are a nice bunch and it's a nice store and range, but you would think gun store employees with the passion these people have would be better educated about the gun laws and carry laws. Yeah and no knowing what sort of crap would get dug up if you try to discuss PA open carrying with them...

(Franklin County)

Default Re: gun store employees ignorance?

Top two parties to NOT ask for firearms law advice:

1. Gun shop staff
    2. LEOs

This is a general statement and is not meant to bash either of these professions. I'd advise that no matter where your advice comes from you ask them to cite their source (preferably a statute) or look it up for yourself. You'll get plenty of good information on these boards, but I can back up anything I offer with the applicable statute. In the cases where there's some 'gray area', I'll explain my own interpretation and the reasoning thereof. After that, it's up to the party asking to decided if they agree or not.
    Get your "Guns Save Lives" stickers today! PM for more info.

(York County)

There is one employee there (that I know of) who is actually a MD residence and LEO.........He didn't like the fact that I brought up OC'ing when I joined. In fact, told me it was illegal and then sidestepped the fact when I showed him otherwise saying, "Well, you shouldn't do it because it would alarm people and if I answered the call, I'd approach you drawn and ready to shoot!" (paraphasing, but the gist is still there). Stiil a nice guy though.
    C.R.

(The Invisible Poster)

Can you get good building advise from the guy at Lowes? NO

Can you get good auto advise from the guy at AutoZone? NO

do I need to go on?

Jules

(Berks County)

Have had two local gun shop clerks swear to me up and down that OC was illegal in PA. The first told me that it was illegal without a LTCF, and despite directing him here, and then bringing in fliers, he stuck to his guns about it (I have since stopped spending my money there). The other clarified himself, once I stated the real law, and said it was stupid, and despite the law, a cop who caught me OCing would lock me up on the spot for creating a disturbance. Sort of a 1/4 truth, but enough to terrify any newcomer to firearms/OC.

+1 to above comment. I dont get burger grilling recipies from the guy at McDonalds.

PRMD,just a hair south of PA at York co, Maryland

I know who the Baltimore cop guy is, seemed like a really fun guy, he was saying he likes to smell the guns LOL- this if it's the same guy. As to the other employees, it always seemed to me that people working in gun stores were passionate about guns- big time. I guess one can call it pretty hilarious when some nobody person who wasn't even raised in the gun culture knows more than gun store employees who seem passionate about the hobby. As to this store, I noticed they only allow LEO to open carry into their store as per their rules and range rules.

We got a ways to go educating if gun store employees who are gun hobbiests don't even know the laws!

As to where I learned what I know? Years back I used to read about gun political issues-before the internet. Then take a loooong period of time of non interest. The rest I have learned in the last year by READING- internet and a couple books, as well as a few bits picked up on the gun shows on the Outdoor Channel. The funniest thing I have learned is the old 9mm vs .45 debate LOL

I arrived at the world of OC maybe last fall for the most part when I started going to the opencarry.org forums. Also studying the whole ccw thing for about the same period. I find it all fascinating and refreshing. And yes I will admit my re-interest is all due to VA Tech. Seems to be a trend going on all related to that. People who were laying low on gun rights/ownership issues are popping out of the woodworks. Not to mention people I know getting interested in handguns suddenly. Hmm and I admit I was a little obnoxious asking my PA customers if they had ltcf's LOL- all the ones I asked have 1, but only 1 is a daily user.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by XD40coyote View Post
    I noticed they only allow LEO to open carry into their store as per their rules and range rules.
    I've OC'd in and out of the store probably a dozen times. No mention was ever made, but of course my wife and I joined there to shoot and they know me by sight.
    C.R.

(The Invisible Poster)