Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default ak-47 receiver, feels like something is catching

I do not know the exact nomenclature, so I will do my best. The hammer (thing that flies forward and hits the firing pin when you pull the trigger).

Then there is the part of the bolt that hits the hammer. So, you pull back the bolt and you feel the resistance as you also pull the hammer back. Normal. But, when I go to move the bolt forward and over the hammer again, it rubs. The bolt rubs against the hammer top. I have shot no more than 70 rounds so far and it looks worn down, too much. Im wondering, maybe I should just grind down the hammer surface some so that the bolt slides freely over the hammer when it returns to the forward position.

Thoughts?
    Believe those who are seeking the truth; doubt those who find it.

(Berks County)

Default Re: ak-47 receiver, feels like something is catching

Don't grind on anything..this is absolutely normal wear and normal for the AK bolt to "rub" the hammer like you describe.

Only thing I would check and see if you have a burr or a rough metal spot where the bolt surface travels over the hammer, or on the hammer itself....if it is very rough a little metal polish (like flitz) wouldn't hurt and smooth things a little.

Polish...don't grind or file....the hammer and bolt...either way this wear is normal. I have a Norinco AK and a MAK-90 and a home built AK (with 1000's of rounds through them)....all wear the same as you describe.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

(Northumberland County)

it is a normal process to remove the "whale hump" from the hammer to aid in cycling of a semi auto action, as the hammer shape was designed for the fa rifle.

some of these come modified already, some dont, but if you are unframiliar with the process, i HIGHLY recomend that you "dont try this at home".

it IS normal for an ak, and wont be a problem either way, unless you still have frequent jams AFTER the rifle is broken in, and then still, polishing it as sugested by ian would be the first step.

(Chester County)

Awesome, thanks guys.

(Blair County)

little late in the game to be playing doctor but is it a Tapco G2? I know when I put one of those in my Saiga conversion, I had the same problem your talking about.

That being said, I took a grinder to the hammer and ended up taking too much off. So like the guys said...polish, not grind
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

Depends on the rifle really. My 74 made by oor and rapid fire catches. But it seems to me a much tighter rifle. My 47 which is izhmash is smooth with out a catch. Is reciever us made? Then again it might just be the tapco. Nonetheless it is just normal wear.

(Chester County)

the whole thing is russian made, saiga brand. the bolt can almost get caught up on the hammer, thats the kind of resistance we are talking about. I can take measurements later with a micrometer.

Traffic cluster**** capitol, Pennsylvania
    (Schuylkill County)

unless the bolt carrier getts jammed against the bottom of the top rails and stops moving, or if the BC gets locked back behind the hammer dont worry about it. over time it wil wear in,. the Saiga rifles are pretty sweet shooters,.just keep feeding it. when you hand cycle a AK it will normally feel that way,.. and if you do it slow and gentel enough you can actually get the BC to "stick" over the hammer.

if your rifle shoots and feeds fine then dont worry about it.

now if you convert your Saiga into a AK configuration you will want to do some work to the hammer (you need to use a US made fire control group when you convert it to keep the parts count for 922r)

the AKS-74 clone i built had a issue with the G2 FCG i put in it,..the hammer pushing up on the carrier slowed everything down enough to cause jams while feeding,...

i took the hammer out and reshaped it with my dremmel and a few grinding/cutting stones,. then i polished it,.. now i have a sweet shooting 5.45 rifle that never jams

and because there is less pressure on the BC when it goes forward it keeps alot more of its speed and momentum,.. i can bump fire it as easy as any Chinese AK now,.. and burn thru a 45rd mag in about 2-3 seconds.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by cruzie27 View Post
    if you do it slow and gentel enough you can actually get the BC to "stick" over the hammer.
    alot of people like this and use it to their advantage.

the "poor mans bolt hold open" for changing mags.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    alot of people like this and use it to their advantage.

the "poor mans bolt hold open" for changing mags.
    untill of course that hammer wears down and you know that will happen directly when the range nazi is inspecting your gun and his fingers would get squished by the bolt carrier flying home
    The resident Saiga snob
    "You will never leave Harlan alive..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast