Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Blair County)

Default A few SHTF questions...

OK, here are my thoughts... My questions...

First, in a serious SHTF situation it would be best to have firearms & ammo. I have those parts covered. Quite well I believe.

Next, I suspect it would be good to have water & food supplies. MRE's & bottled water seem best.

But do we keep the food & water in our homes or in a camper that is ready to leave at a moment's notice?

I have given serious consideration to purchasing a pickup camper for my pickup. Sometimes I wonder if it would be best to keep the food & water in the camper.

How would any of us know where we would be if & when a SHTF situation occurs? How would we know if our home was still standing? If we could get back to the food & water we had stored?

Second, which way to go if a SHTF situation occurs? My kids live 11 miles south of me. My parents live 10 miles north of me. My sister & her husband live 5 miles east of me.

How would a person possibly decide which direction to head first?
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

(Blair County)

Default Re: A few SHTF questions...

Roads could be closed , missing , non drivable if tram roads exist they could be blocked by erosion and downed trees. On foot or think smaller like ATV or offroad cycle maybe? I keep a bag in home and vehicle. Bug out bag and a few days supply in home, bug out bag and get home bage in vehicle.

Brad
    And if you want to race, name the place and I'll show you where it's at mother f@#$&#!

(Allegheny County)

If you see this...

GO THE OTHER WAY!!!
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Blair County)

Forgive me please, but I was serious.

I do not believe in Zombies, Werewolves or anything else.

I do believe in survival. I believe in God. And I believe in life.

In my little family my son calls me when someone gives him a hard time. He knows I have enough confidence and "mouth" to handle the situation.

My dad calls me when he is having trouble making a decision. He respects my opinion.

Baby sister calls me 'cause I'm her big brother and that's the way it goes for big brothers. That's what baby sisters do.

I am not a nut case (ex-wife might argue that point), but I am a realist. I know that our strangest thoughts could become reality in the blink of an eye.

I am simply asking for thoughts & opinions. I have no intention of closing my business & hiding in the woods.

I am just asking what realists would do to prepare themselves for a situation I hope (and pray) never occurs in this country.

(Cambria County)

The house is best equipped for an emergency. Food and water for a couple days. Propane stove (Have you filled your propane tank for your barbecue since you used it all summer?) Boards to cover up the windows if needed.

Next, I have a bug out bag that I carry in my car all the time. It only has absolute minimum to try and help me get home. I also leave a pistol and a couple mags in there, locked up in one of the car gun vaults that PaPatriot got us all a while back. The bag in the car need to be beefed up. But it would help in a bad situation.

You need to get with your family and decide where you will meet if something bad would happen. Whoever is the furthest from cities is probably where everyone should plan on meeting.

If the location that everyone is suppose to go is compromised. Have a second spot picked out.

It's like a overgrown fire plan for your house. How to get out? Where to meet once you get out so you all know your OK?

Roads. Do you only know one way to and from your families location? Most people take the easiest, fastest route every day. What if it was blocked. Could you find your way around once off the main roads? Time to learn all the roads between here and there. (A GPS can assist you in this. If you don't have one, just make it a game to add one new road everytime you go visit them.) You may have to travel the roads less traveled in an emergency. Everyone else will be on the main roads. Get off of them.

And yes, you may want to keep in mind that you may have to travel a long way on foot. The roads could be that bad. Even the back ones. They may be jammed with everyone trying to flee. Maybe they have been blocked my goverment, military, or locals that don't want you in their area.

When you leave the house everyday, are you dressed in a three piece suit and nice dress shoes. If something happened. Would you want to have to hump it out to your family in this clothing. You might want to consider some comfortable clothing and a good pair of hiking boots, or just an extra pair of tennis shoes that you were going to throw out. Will make hiking a lot easier.

Well, hows that for a starter kit. You can check out Ninesevens website. That is what it is all about. He has some good stuff on there.

Remember: It is better to have it and not need it. Than to need it and not have it.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Blair County)

I replied accordingly.
    And if you want to race, name the place and I'll show you where it's at mother f@#$&#!

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by BIGSHOVEL View Post
    I replied accordingly.
    +1 Sir! I know you did and I appreciate it.

For the first time in my life I am looking at survival tactics. Dang.

(Allegheny County)

Brother...
    I hear you loud and clear...My family is back east with yinz...
    It is not about the stuff you accumulate. It is not about where the water and food is. It is not even about what family member you need to make it to first...It is about being prepared in your body and soul...(not that you should not keep things on hand that will keep you alive longer...just don't rely on them)
    Head toward whatever family member is closest. Use them as a base for your next objective. Pick up more supplies as you gather people. Keep up with the changing situation....
    Look on the bright side...you already have a plan...gather your family...
    Don't think to much about it...
    -A
    No matter who you vote for the government always gets in.

(Blair County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mtbkski View Post
    You need to get with your family and decide where you will meet if something bad would happen. Whoever is the furthest from cities is probably where everyone should plan on meeting.

If the location that everyone is suppose to go is compromised. Have a second spot picked out.
    Strange, I grew up in a school where they taught us that the USA was the safest & most powerful nation in the world.

That was 35 years ago; a lot has changed.

Thank you for your input MTBSKI, you have me thinking now (not easy at my age).

Given the wilderness-oriented location of my son's house it may be best to tell everyone in my family to head that direction and that I'll meet them there.

All kidding aside it is scary to think our country has reached the point where citizens have to develop survival plans & technics.

(Blair County)

Truely a sad state of our nation and culture. I never gave it much thought either until about 3 years ago. I have a plan which I choose not to disclose, preparations have been identified and equipment and supplies are ready. I hope I wasted alot of time and money so that it may never happen. Only you can save yourself in a quick, extreme downturn of society and events. I believe the human mind has a switch one side marked panic and the other is survive. Most folks will live long enough for brief panic the rest of us will be the new society, lets hope.

Brad

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast