Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default 700 series in .308

my next firearms purchase i think shall be based upon the remington 700 series probably in 308 looking for something to shoot fairly large distances with, 500yds +, looking for any suggestions on what i should consider what i should look at what i should avoid etc would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance for your wealth of knowledge guys

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: 700 series in .308

I have a Remington 700P in .308WIN the action on it is the smoothest, I think it's the best out of the box bolt action rifle out there...
    Where I shoot the longest rifle range go out to only 200yrds...

Howdy C.sander, The remington 700 is a fine choice for a rifle. You will find lots of people that love the Winchester 70's (hard to find right now, although supposedly going into production again in the near future), Remington 700's, and lots of people that will say that the savages are the most accurate rifle out of the box for the money and who love savage's accumark trigger. I personally have never shot an accumark trigger but have heard it's kind of a like it or don't kind of thing. I have a few questions for you before I'd really recommend anything.

What kind of budget are you on, if any for this rifle? Do you intend to reload? Are you looking to shoot paper or reactive targets at 500+ yards? Do you intend to hunt animals at this distance? Do you use a laser range finder? Is this going to be a gun that you carry around to hunt with, or more of a bench rifle/target rifle? Are you recoil sensitive?

All of these things can make a difference in the advise that I would give to you about what your needs in a rifle might be. Hope that myself and others will be able to offer better advice after you answer some of these questions.

Quote Originally Posted by ssom003 View Post
    I have a Remington 700P in .308WIN the action on it is the smoothest, I think it's the best out of the box bolt action rifle out there...
    Where I shoot the longest rifle range go out to only 200yrds...
    I'll second this, and add that I have a second one in 300 WM (Remington ad). Both are -very- accurate.

I shot a co-worker's Savage 111 in 270 Win, it was an excellent rifle. His rifle was about half the cost of one of mine.
    Last edited by PA Rifleman; November 18th, 2007 at 05:57 PM.

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tomcat088 View Post
    I personally have never shot an accumark trigger but have heard it's kind of a like it or don't kind of thing.
    i tried dry firing them at the gun shop to try them out, and ill go without.

i have an old savage .22 with the regular trigger, wanted to get another, but they had the accu-trigger now (and are more expensive because of it) and i tried one and couldnt bring myself to getting it.

i know people who love them, but i think they are a step backwards.

(Montgomery County)

Can't go wrong with a Remington 700. I had a 700P with ad ons that I recently sold to a member on this board, and I miss it alot it was a great rifle. You'll be very pleased.

Proud member of: