Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Too quiet around here

Did everyone take off on vacation?

Myself I am looking forward to the first day of Buck Season.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Too quiet around here

Not on vacation, just working. Also getting last minute stuff done prior to going to camp. Am taking the whole first week off, so anyone wanting to do gun business with me will have to wait until the weekend.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

so when are we due for another meet? I need some help sighting my AR's iron sight...
    Last edited by Mity2; November 17th, 2007 at 09:00 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Centre County)

Yeah, the activity has died down considerably.

I've been pretty busy at work lately so I haven't been keeping up with anything.

Getting ready for deer season....then planning on sending off the Rem 700P for an upgrade.

This time of year I don't dare set foot at Scotia. Probably too crowded.

Maybe after that I'll build another AR or something.

Mity2, what in particular do you need help with with the iron sights?

(Centre County)

i can't sight the darn thing in to save my life!!!!
    at 25yds, i donno where its hitting, and at 50yds, i can beary hit the edge of cardboard. When I got the gun, I had my brother in law - who was in military during gulfwar. I figured he knew how. It came with paper target to help you sight the gun in 25meter(just shy of 25yds, and donno how I use them to sight it

Turned out that he was mechanic during gulf. and appearently his skill with sight on AR is rather rusty. We turned front sight up and down, and now its WAY off.

Not to mention using tip of bullit to turn front sight don't work too good....

i can't sight the darn thing in to save my life!!!!

to start over crank everything down to it's lowest IE: front sight, rear.
    then start from there at 25yds.

Instead of a bullet tip. Use a steel punch or something similar. round the end up good to it dont scratch things up.

Just curious? are you using the right weighted bullets??

(Centre County)

Mity, If I remember, tommorrow I will post the directions from Bushmaster on how they say to sight it in. There is a particular way to do it IIRC. Otherwise give me a call at the shop around 8 PM or stop buy and I'll give you one of the targets with the instructions on it. You could also go to AR15.com to see if they have a sticky on the proper sighting in procedure. They have everything else so I would think that they have this too.

(Centre County)

Just curious? are you using the right weighted bullets??
    M193 55gr ball out of 1/7" twist. I actually like to try M855 or even Mk262, since i was told 1/7" is more suited for heavier bullets, but I'm having no luck finding one
    I've also been using 5.56 - which I believe is 55gr ball made by chile, or other either portuguese or spanish speaking nation(box have both spanish and spanish on it)

Ron, I'll take ya up on that offer. But I'll be gone the rest of the week. So I'll have to stop by some other time.
    Bushmaster's owners manual does have a particular way to sight the iron sight. Not to mention its poorly written IMO
    Last edited by Mity2; November 20th, 2007 at 12:52 AM.

(Centre County)

Here's what Bushmaster says on there targets (slightly condensed). I did this and it seems to be ok. This establishes a zero at 25 meters which means your sights are set for the 300 meter battle sight.

1. Do not move the front post at this time. The height should be 5mm from the floor of the Front Sight Base to the top of the Front Sight Post.

2. The smaller (unmarked) rear aperture should be in the up position. Center (left-right) the rear sight using the markings on the sight.

3. Rotate the elevation knob "up" one click past the 300 meter mark (the mark above the 8/3 on the top of the elevation knob should align with the mark on the left side of the upper receiver). Do Not move this again, all other adjustments will be made with the front sight.

4. Carefully aim and fire 3 shots at a target set to 25 meters (about 82 feet).

5. Inspect the target. If not centered vertically, adjust the front sight. If you need to raise the point of impact (POI), rotate the front sight clockwise (CW). To lower the point of impact, rotate the front sight counter-clockwise (CCW). One (1) click will raise or lower the POI about 3/8 of an inch (at 25 meters).

6. Inspect the target. If not centered horizontally, adjust the windage knob on the rear sight. To move the POI to the left turn the windage knob CCW. To move the POI to the right turn the windage knob CW. Three (3) clicks will move the strike point approx 3/8 of an inch at 25 meters (1 click = 1/8" movement).

Once your shot group is on target, your sights are zeroed or "calibrated". To set your rifle's sights to a 300 meter zero, rotate the Elevation Knob one click down (the range scale's 300 meter mark should now be aligned with the corresponding mark on the upper receiver.

Now, on a flat top rifle with a removeable carry handle the rear sight is different in that the elevation index is marked 6/s instead of 8/3. The front sight is also different in that it is a little shorter and has finer threads. One (1) click will only move the POI about 3/16" at 25 meters. The windage is the same though, 3 clicks moves it left or right 3/8" at 25 meters (1 click = 1/8" movement).

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Xringshooter; November 20th, 2007 at 09:12 AM.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mity2 View Post
    M193 55gr ball out of 1/7" twist. I actually like to try M855 or even Mk262, since i was told 1/7" is more suited for heavier bullets, but I'm having no luck finding one
    I've also been using 5.56 - which I believe is 55gr ball made by chile, or other either portuguese or spanish speaking nation(box have both spanish and spanish on it)

Ron, I'll take ya up on that offer. But I'll be gone the rest of the week. So I'll have to stop by some other time.
    Bushmaster's owners manual does have a particular way to sight the iron sight. Not to mention its poorly written IMO
    Mity2.

If I were you I'd start all over again. Return the sights to "mechanical zero". that is:

1. Rotate the front sight post until the notched disk of the post is flush with the front sight base post well.

2. Align the index mark on the 0-2 apurture of the rear site so that it is centered with the index lines on the rear sight base.

3. Rotate the elevation nob so that the 8/3 mark is aligned with the mark on the left side of the rear sight base.

Next step is pretty important...

4. Rotate the elevation knob 1 click past the 8/3 mark. (clockwise). Then, leave it there and do not move it until after you've zeroed it at 25 meters.

From there, set up your target at 25 meters. Fire a 3 round shot group (I shoot 5) at the target. If the shot group is within 4 cm, find the center of the group and determine your adjustments to reach the center of the target. Once you've made the adjustments, confirm the zero by firing another group of shots. If they fall in the center, your done. Then...turn the elevation knob back to the 8/3 mark.

That's the tricky part. In the military, they provided a target that had a grid line based on the number of clicks required to reach center. If you don't have that target, it's kinda hard to determine how many clicks of adjustment you need.

I'll see if I can rumage through my old stuff and find an old zero target. I can photocopy it and e-mail it as a pdf file. there may be a place on line that will have the zero procedure from the army's soldiers manual. I have the manual and could actually photocopy those pages too.

EDIT: Had I scrolled down I would have seen xringshooter hit the nail on the head and aswered the question already. Sorry.
    Last edited by arrrrgh15; November 20th, 2007 at 01:33 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast