Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default What is your measuring stick before you consider your firearm good to go?

For example, I just recently purchased an ACR and I have put over 1k rnds through it and have had not one stoppage. A couple of my range sessions were 2-300 rnds in a short amount of time, minimal cleaning and lubraction. Now would this be considered enouigh to be a reliable weapon for lets say a SHTF scenerio? I'm thinking it is and would not hesitate to use it as a go to rifle.

Another example is one of my G17's, I have alot more rnds through it than that, proabaly close to 5k. Never not one stoppage, some range sessions were 300+ rnds with minimal cleaning and lubracation as well. Would this be considered as a go to gun? My answer is yes.

When does a weapon satisfy your needs before it's considered a go to gun?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: What is your measuring stick before you consider your firearm good to go?

They both seem good to go. I won't carry a firearm until I have put at least 500-1000 rounds through it without failure.

ETA: As others have stated or implied...it also depends on the brand and/or my experience with them. A Glock, Sig or HK I would load right up and carry and have. With a 1911, Kahr or just about anything else semi auto I stand by my original statement.
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; December 23rd, 2011 at 03:47 PM.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: What is your measuring stick before you consider your firearm good to go?

A quick inspection at the dealer sometimes. I often load the gun up in the parking lot and holster/pocket the gun.

I haven't been wrong yet on my gun and ammo combination choices.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Bucks County)

I bought a glock 26 about a year ago, this is my primary carry handgun. from bought to now it has around 200 rounds through it.about twice a week at end of range time I'll empty my magazine at a target with my defense loads.(that rotates my ammo and makes me clean my glock.

I bought this because of it's reputation and ease of carry. police departments have been using glocks for years.with not many issues.

I go to the range once or twice a week, starting after the new year, I'll probably change that to 2 or 3 times a week.with my new ruger mark3.

I'm sorry I kinda rambled.
    My stick,
    Buy gun with a history,i ran a half box of factory 124gr fmj, about 2 mags of my defense loads speer gold dot 124gr to make sure they feed.Take completely apart, inspect parts,clean and lube then reassemble.put on hip.

I've come to learn,over analyze and you don't get anything done

(Pike County)

For semi's about 200 rds.

Plus running every mag for carry guns.

(Mercer County)

For a wheel gun. I buy S&W and 5/6 rounds thru the barrel is good to go.

For bottom feeders I don't care who make 'em. Three hundred of my carry ammo minimum with out a malfunction of any type. And yes, I have had Glocks, H&Ks, and Sigs fail to feed or stove pipe when new.
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by gf45acp View Post
    For semi's about 200 rds.

Plus running every mag for carry guns.
    I agree,2-3 hundred rounds through a semi with desired carry ammo,and especially running all your mags to insure functionality!
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Cumberland County)

Wink Re: What is your measuring stick before you consider your firearm good to go?

i think your guns have proven their capabilities beyond any reasonable doubt. keep them clean and lubed, it,s closer than you think. guns and ammo the future currency.

I guess it depends on what you want for that type of gun. If I just want a gun that goes bang every time, and patterns like a shotgun at 100 yards. I'll go with my Mini 14. If I want something that can do a 2" group at 100. I'll use the 20"AR15, although it will have to be cleaned on occasion. For a pistol I'll take my Ruger P95DC. It eats anything.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    They both seem good to go. I won't carry a firearm until I have put at least 500-1000 rounds through it without failure.

ETA: As others have stated or implied...it also depends on the brand and/or my experience with them. A Glock, Sig or HK I would load right up and carry and have. With a 1911, Kahr or just about anything else semi auto I stand by my original statement.
    I determined well before the 5K rnd mark that my G17 was GTG. I usually like to run between 300-500 rnds of various brands of ammo through the gun before I consider it as a defensive gun.

I'm interested to see what some of you think as far as carbines/rifles go.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast