Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Legal info?

(Allegheny County)

Default Legal info?

Not sure if this is the correct forum.?

If a person in the "household" has a mental instability or felony conviction. Can firearms be kept at the house while that person resides there?

Case in point, my neighbor told me that their neighbors son gave them a pistol and then came back the next day asking for it back.

The son has been arrested and convicted. Also is heavily medicated for bipolar psychophrenia.

He has also set fire to himself. So there are some issues going there.

Thanks
    Mike
    Careful some of those Zombies could be Americans!

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Legal info?

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingFool View Post
    If a person in the "household" has a mental instability or felony conviction. Can firearms be kept at the house while that person resides there?
    Not a lawyer, but a prohibited person shouldn't be in contact with firearms or ammo. I think it's legal for them to be in the same house, but they shouldn't have direct access to them or contact. Locked up in a safe would be ok.

Again... not a lawyer.

Case in point, my neighbor told me that their neighbors son gave them a pistol and then came back the next day asking for it back.
    This is the real issue. Accepting a firearm without transferring it in PA is a crime. Sure, if your neighbor has a LTCF, they can take a loan from someone, but that doesn't sound like what is going on.

Sounds like this kid has some real issues! I wouldn't want to even interact with him let alone play hot potato with a gun with him. Honestly... I would turn the firearm over to the police, but then again... you open yourself up to legal issues.

(Lehigh County)

a friend of mine got house arrest for a 2nd dui conviction. he wanted to stay with me for the 90 days. i looked over the paperwork and i would have had to remove all my firearms from the residence while he was under house arrest. needless to say, he did not stay with me

(Northampton County)

I would have your neighbor talk the the parents of the kid. Let him know what happened and have the PARENTS contact the proper authorities.

(Allegheny County)

Just to make sure.

The first neighbor is 2 homes up the street. The person in question is 3 homes up the street.

So the "story" goes. Talking to my neighbors at the grocery store. And they mentioned their neighbor, the son had poured gasoline on himself and then set fire to himself.

I wasn't surprised (sad but true) with all the meds the guy must take. How do I know? When he walks down the street on his strolls, he is totally zoned out, zombie like.

I was trying to be polite and was saying "Oh that's too bad". Then the people 2 houses said once he brought over a handgun and just gave it to the wife. Next day he got it back, saying it belonged to his dad and his dad wanted it back. Wierd moment I am sure.

Instantly the red flags went off in my brain!!!! Thinking WTF and should I mention it to the police. Not being a rat, just thinking what if he tries to use the gun next time to "Off himself" and misses or goes on a rampage.

So I am stuck in this wierd moment. What to do,,,what to do?

Bring it to the folks at PAFOA, for some clarification. What is the saying,
    It may be legal, but sure ain't right.

Thanks
    Mike

(Indiana County)

If you do nothing, and someone (maybe even you?) ends up dead, how will you feel then?

Last year a nut job went unreported and ended up killing six people and blowing half the brains out of a U.S. Congresswoman. Remember that? Nobody reported anything to the authorities beforehand. Everyone expected someone else to do the dirty work.

Pay a visit to your local cop shop, talk to a detective. Let them know you're concerned. Don't leave out anything, especially the deal with the handgun.

Legally you're not required to do a thing. Joe Paterno wasn't legally required to tell the authorities outside of Penn State about a certain pedophile. He didn't. You know the result of that.

. . . once he brought over a handgun and just gave it to the wife. Next day he got it back, saying it belonged to his dad and his dad wanted it back. . . . .
    The kid committed a crime there, if this happened in PA.

You can LEND a firearm to a Pennsylvania resident who possesses a current LTCF. You can't give one to them, not without an FFL (or the theoretical cooperative Sheriff). And you can neither lend nor give a handgun directly to a non-LTCF holder. (There are very limited exceptions to this, none of which apply in this situation.)

The UFA makes it a crime for the possessor to transfer it in violation of the UFA, but it doesn't actually make it a crime to be the recipient. A DA could argue "conspiracy", but that's unlikely, not for some housewife that unexpectedly receives an unsolicited handgun in her kitchen.

And yes, if someone is wandering around free and acts irresponsibly, there's an argument that those who are aware of the situation should take appropriate action BEFORE the terrible things happen. All of the perverts and sociopaths who shoot up schools or kidnap and rape and murder little neighbor girls, somebody knew about them and had opportunities to intervene, but didn't.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

Default Bringing up all pertinent facts

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    If you do nothing, and someone (maybe even you?) ends up dead, how will you feel then? Joe Paterno wasn't legally required to tell the authorities outside of Penn State about a certain pedophile. He didn't. You know the result of that.
    I wonder who resisted calling Sandusky a HOMOSEXUAL pedophile? Would it make a difference? Plus, your zombie-walking friend may be on lots of meds, but not all lithium users become zombies. I had my V.A. shrink try to deny me State creds. for handgun paper licensing, and it took my Congressman to get it straightened out. I'm jus' sayin'
    "1"starts the Militia; you are not alone but fight as though you are.

(Indiana County)

Default Re: Bringing up all pertinent facts

Quote Originally Posted by LongOneShortOne View Post
    Your zombie-walking friend may be on lots of meds, but not all lithium users become zombies. ... I'm jus' sayin'
    No one stated, or implied or inferred (whatever the difference is between the two) that all medication users were threats to society (although, based on your experience, you feel a little sensitive about the subject matter).

That being said, I'm certain someone heavily medicate for bipolar schizophrenia is someone to take seriously. He has some issues, to say the least.

He's been arrested, convicted and certified. He's already broken the law once.

ALERT SOMEONE !!!

(Allegheny County)

Once again thanks for the support. I definitely do not take this lightly.
    I have seen this guy for 11 years walking the street. And as long he kept to himself and stayed on his meds, NP.

When I first moved there and saw him walking the street, the hairs went up on the back of my neck. Thinking I gotta call the cops. I wasn't the best kid in the world so I had a point of reference.

I have to go the sheriff next week for a Form 1 sig, ironic isn't it.

L/O/S/O this is a quandry for me to say the least. Look at it this way
    1 Even if no meds
    2 Poured gasoline and set himself on fire.

The lack of self protection is the key thing here.

Mike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast